Thoughts about Mike Riley from an Oregon State alum

A little history about myself... I grew up a Nebraska Cornhusker fan. Unfortunately, I didn't grow up during the glory years. Instead of Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, Tommie Frazier, Ahman Green, Lawrence Phillips and the Blackshirt defense, I grew up with the Bullocks twins, Cory Ross, Joe Ganz, and a flashback of the Blackshirt defense with Suh and Carriker. I moved to Oregon when I was 9 years old but continued to watch be loyal to Big Red. A decade later, I attended Oregon State University and am now an alum.

Mike Riley is a good coach. He never won a championship or a Pac-12 championship or anything, but he produced a handful of 9 win seasons with a very limited talent pool. When he HAD talent, he did special things. Beat #2 Cal in 2007, beat #1 USC when their only offensive talent was the Rodgers brothers and recently, beat top 10 Arizona State with literally 0 NFL talent on his squad. There's a reason that despite posting a 3-9 record in 2011, starting 6-1 and ending 7-6 in 2013 and posting a 5-7 record in 2014, Oregon State refused to fire Mike Riley. He has the ABILITY to coach a team into a BIG TIME win, he's just had to compete with the USCs and Oregons for talent. The talent he can grab at Nebraska will be 3x better than that of Oregon State.

Nebraska will love him, players and fans alike. I would bump into Mike Riley on his bike riding around town on my way to class all the time. He'll wave to you, and if you're stopped at a light with him he'll hold a conversation with you until you part ways. Nicest guy you'll ever meet, you'd never imagine he was the richest man in Corvallis. Players coach. Every player that put on that helmet adored Mike Riley.

But the reason why I like Mike Riley as a hire is because he can develop players into MEN and NFL players. There's a reason that, despite Oregon's success, Mike Riley has turned more Pros. Jacquizz Rodgers, Keenan Lewis, Brandin Cooks, Markus Wheaton, Stephen Paea, and Brandon Browner are just some of the names of players under Mike Riley. As opposed to the Ducks who have have college success, Riley has the ability to do big things in college ball and groom these kids into men for professional ball as well.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Please continue to post

• Fire 3

Sounds like not only players will love him(they loved Bo) but so will the fans(Only loved Bo cause he was the HC at Nebraska)

Riley reminds me of Miles.... I like that.

Bingo! I think Husker Nation is going to learn that you can a coach can be caring and have all his players' love and support, without antagonizing any other parties.

I feel that this hire in Mike Riley is far more ready and qualified than the last two coaches we've had. I'm very excited to see what we can do, and I don't expect it to take long with a coach like this to see what the AD just signed us up for in the coming season of Nebraska football. I get more excited about this the more I think about it. I fully believe good times are ahead.