Shawn Eichorst is my hero

NUance

But there is no way of knowing whether this was choice #1 or #21.

Except for the fact that Harvey already said it was #1 and the regents were kept informed of it through email.
All I've heard about this guy is that he's nice. That's nice. Really nice. I wish him nothing but the best.

I really hope that he is a good coach, which is in question.

If he really was the #1 guy on the list, i think we should feel lucky that TO was here to hire Erstad and Miles. Much like Suh and other former Huskers, I'm really concerned about the future of this athletic department and the university overall.

So you're concerned about the direction of one of the biggest and most profitable athletic departments in the country because of the thought that this is who SE wanted? Taking no regard of the fact that we have yet to play a game with him at coach. My question to you, who was your top three and the main reason why? Don't get me wrong, I was as skeptical as anyone when I first heard, but the man deserves a chance here, and I think that increases even more when you take into account what Riley stands for as a man.
This guy seems nice, even with a questionable situation or two during his time in Corvallis.

There is a list of better candidates, the vest, Mullen, Mcelwain, Frost, Whittingham, Fuentes.......

It's no secret that Harv is a cancer. He needed to go 20 years ago. Steve, i mean, Shawn is his guy. There is nothing in the new coaches history to make me think that he will be any better here than he was at OSU. This really feels like Billy c. Version 2 to me.

Edit: if a guy that failed in the NFL and has won just over 50% of his games in college was the #1 guy, then, yeah, i think that any reasonable person would question the decision making in Lincoln

Tressel, sure, but Tressel is probably done coaching and wasn't an option.

Mullen -- maybe, if he intends to leave Mississippi State. Him and all the other guys you named are similar or just hot up-and-coming prospects the same way Brady Hoke, Will Muschamp, Brian Kelly, Bo Pelini, and so on all were. Some of them might turn out great. Some of them will flop when they get their chance and then, good coach or not, their names won't be so hot anymore.

I didn't know much about Riley prior to today but I'm not sure, apart from Tressel and some more far-fetched names such as Shaw or Saban or Patterson, how many other coaches fit the same billing in terms of respectability among their coaching peers. Cutcliffe? Schiano?

Tressel, sure, but Tressel is probably done coaching and wasn't an option.Mullen -- maybe, if he intends to leave Mississippi State. Him and all the other guys you named are similar or just hot up-and-coming prospects the same way Brady Hoke, Will Muschamp, Brian Kelly, Bo Pelini, and so on all were. Some of them might turn out great. Some of them will flop when they get their chance and then, good coach or not, their names won't be so hot anymore.I didn't know much about Riley prior to today but I'm not sure, apart from Tressel and some more far-fetched names such as Shaw or Saban or Patterson, how many other coaches fit the same billing in terms of respectability among their coaching peers. Cutcliffe? Schiano?

Not a big fan of Shaw, i liked Patterson, but didn't think he was a realistic candidate.

I'm betting that Michigan's hire will wow, while ours was, "oh, that's nice."

Except for the fact that Harvey already said it was #1 and the regents were kept informed of it through email.
All I've heard about this guy is that he's nice. That's nice. Really nice. I wish him nothing but the best.

If he really was the #1 guy on the list, i think we should feel lucky that TO was here to hire Erstad and Miles. Much like Suh and other former Huskers, I'm really concerned about the future of this athletic department and the university overall.

So you're concerned about the direction of one of the biggest and most profitable athletic departments in the country because of the thought that this is who SE wanted? Taking no regard of the fact that we have yet to play a game with him at coach. My question to you, who was your top three and the main reason why? Don't get me wrong, I was as skeptical as anyone when I first heard, but the man deserves a chance here, and I think that increases even more when you take into account what Riley stands for as a man.
This guy seems nice, even with a questionable situation or two during his time in Corvallis.

There is a list of better candidates, the vest, Mullen, Mcelwain, Frost, Whittingham, Fuentes.......

It's no secret that Harv is a cancer. He needed to go 20 years ago. Steve, i mean, Shawn is his guy. There is nothing in the new coaches history to make me think that he will be any better here than he was at OSU. This really feels like Billy c. Version 2 to me.

Edit: if a guy that failed in the NFL and has won just over 50% of his games in college was the #1 guy, then, yeah, i think that any reasonable person would question the decision making in Lincoln

I thought it was pretty well established the the NFL and college are two totally different beasts, no? I thought the hire was pretty underwhelming myself, but he's never been at a place with our kind of name brand and accesses to the resource we have. If he could actually produce something of substance in Corvalis, a town almost 4 times smaller than Lincoln and in the Shadow of big brother Oregon, I'll give him some time and see what unfurls.

I thought it was pretty well established the the NFL and college are two totally different beasts, no? I thought the hire was pretty underwhelming myself, but he's never been at a place with our kind of name brand and accesses to the resource we have. If he could actually produce something of substance in Corvalis, a town almost 4 times smaller than Lincoln and in the Shadow of big brother Oregon, I'll give him some time and see what unfurls.

So, you're willing to extrapolate that out to Lincoln and hope for the best. Fair enough.

But again, Corvallis an Lincoln.....weather, Proximity to talent. Mountains, oceans. I don't think that OSUs location was a hindrance.

But again, Corvallis an Lincoln.....weather, Proximity to talent. Mountains, oceans. I don't think that OSUs location was a hindrance.

I think I need to get filled in on this weather thing.

Proximity to talent is the one advantage they do have (though they are not closer to Texas or Ohio, etc) and the same is true of programs from Utah to Wyoming to Fresno. Boulder, CO is a beautiful place and the school practically sits on the Rockies.

Is there anything in Eichorst's background that connects him to wOSU?

I believe it's stated the connection comes from Eichorst's time at Wisconsin with Alvarez, when Riley was held in high regard (he turned down Badger interest at one point also, not sure if it coincides) as well as his time in South Carolina, when Riley was a candidate but they ended up going after Spurrier.

I think I need to get filled in on this weather thing.Proximity to talent is the one advantage they do have (though they are not closer to Texas or Ohio, etc) and the same is true of programs from Utah to Wyoming to Fresno. Boulder, CO is a beautiful place and the school practically sits on the Rockies.

I believe it's stated the connection comes from Eichorst's time at Wisconsin with Alvarez, when Riley was held in high regard (he turned down Badger interest at one point also, not sure if it coincides) as well as his time in South Carolina, when Riley was a candidate but they ended up going after Spurrier.

I could be wrong, but isn't the Pacific northwest pretty much a Mediterranean climate? They don't have the stretches of below zero winters and 100degree with 90 percent humidity summers that we have here.

And Shawn worked for Wisconsin, after the hire there is some debate as to whether he is still on their payroll.

I think I need to get filled in on this weather thing.Proximity to talent is the one advantage they do have (though they are not closer to Texas or Ohio, etc) and the same is true of programs from Utah to Wyoming to Fresno. Boulder, CO is a beautiful place and the school practically sits on the Rockies.

I could be wrong, but isn't the Pacific northwest pretty much a Mediterranean climate? They don't have the stretches of below zero winters and 100degree with 90 percent humidity summers that we have here.

And Shawn worked for Wisconsin, after the hire there is some debate as to whether he is still on their payroll.

Oregonian here. Our climate is NOT Mediterranean. You'd need to get into Norcal for that. Northern Oregon is gorgeous (Portland, Eugene). Corvallis is NOT NICE. Lived in Lincoln for years. I LOVE living in Oregon, but you couldn't pay me to live in Corvallis. The mountains, ocean, etc., are quite a way from there. It's no Portland. Hell, it's not even a Lincoln.

Oregonian here. Our climate is NOT Mediterranean. You'd need to get into Norcal for that. Northern Oregon is gorgeous (Portland, Eugene). Corvallis is NOT NICE. Lived in Lincoln for years. I LOVE living in Oregon, but you couldn't pay me to live in Corvallis. The mountains, ocean, etc., are quite a way from there. It's no Portland. Hell, it's not even a Lincoln.
Thanks for the info. Someone told me that Corvallis is nestled in the foothills.

Even if the town is not right next to the mountains or located on the ocean, it still is closer tha Lincoln. I mean, Lincoln is within an hour of Branched Oak lake and the Bohemian Alps . am i grasping for something here?

SE has made a very good impression this week with the way he approached this. Just think....last Friday we had just finished watching the Iowa game, and nobody had a clue that SE would have the guts to terminate a 9-win coach that lost all the big games. And now here we are a week later, talking about a new head coach, who his staff will be, and when he will start recruiting.

I can't tell you how much my mood has changed about the Husker program. I felt hopeless toward the end of this season, and now I have great hope. Riley will need to produce on the field to keep that going, but I'll take hope over hopelessness for now.

• Fire 1

SE has made a very good impression this week with the way he approached this. Just think....last Friday we had just finished watching the Iowa game, and nobody had a clue that SE would have the guts to terminate a 9-win coach that lost all the big games. And now here we are a week later, talking about a new head coach, who his staff will be, and when he will start recruiting.

I can't tell you how much my mood has changed about the Husker program. I felt hopeless toward the end of this season, and now I have great hope. Riley will need to produce on the field to keep that going, but I'll take hope over hopelessness for now.

Seems eerily similar to the feeling some fans had when Armstrong was starting in place of Martinez.

See I am the opposite. This hire removes hope for me. Nebraska football had an identity. And that identity has been forgotten along with our championship winning ways. Our calling card was physical hard nosed defense (arent you old enough to remember the real blackshirts?) and an explosive running/play action pass attack. Now we have hired another pro style passing coach, with no plans to bring back real Nebraska football. Sucks for me. I watch the Seattle Seahawks, and Wisconsin to remind myself of what Nebraska football used to look like. I miss it. I miss the days of rolling teams all year long with at least 350 yds rushing per game. They used to fear Nebraska. There was an article in sports illustrated in the mid nineties talking about how physical the huskers were and about how hard our line hit the Colorado middle linebackers. They said they had NEVER been hit that hard. I feel like the new coaches dont plan on resurrecting true Nebraska football. Smart is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wise is knowing that a tomato does not belong in a fruit salad.

See I am the opposite. This hire removes hope for me. Nebraska football had an identity. And that identity has been forgotten along with our championship winning ways. Our calling card was physical hard nosed defense (arent you old enough to remember the real blackshirts?) and an explosive running/play action pass attack. Now we have hired another pro style passing coach, with no plans to bring back real Nebraska football. Sucks for me. I watch the Seattle Seahawks, and Wisconsin to remind myself of what Nebraska football used to look like. I miss it. I miss the days of rolling teams all year long with at least 350 yds rushing per game. They used to fear Nebraska. There was an article in sports illustrated in the mid nineties talking about how physical the huskers were and about how hard our line hit the Colorado middle linebackers. They said they had NEVER been hit that hard. I feel like the new coaches dont plan on resurrecting true Nebraska football. Smart is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wise is knowing that a tomato does not belong in a fruit salad.

Paul Chryst was the offensive coordinator for Oregon St. before he went to Wisconsin....and learned under Mike Riley for 7 years. Also Riley runs an aggressive defense

I wouldn't call what we've had the past few years under Pelini hard-nosed defense.

I think the most telling comparison between Riley and Pelini is their 2012 results against Wisconsin. Riley's team gave up 7 points to Wisconsin, and Pelini's gave up 10 x that amount.

This doesn't mean everything about Riley is perfect and everything about Pelini was terrible, but to suggest you had hope for a hard-nosed defense with Pelini and no longer have that doesn't make sense to me.

• Fire 2