Offense favored by Riley?

Looking forward to more playmakers on offense. We relied on too few guys in the Pelini years. We rode a hot TMart, Burkhead, and Ameer this year. Will be interesting to see how TA competes and to see his improvement. Stanton should have a good shot. Need a break-out year for T. Newby. DPE and Westy should get a lot of catches. Don't sleep on Jamal Turner...I expect him to come back for a great year. TE? Cethan Carter breaks out? I have good feeling about the offense.

Defense? Time will tell but dang we need the Blackshirts back. Ed-O would be great for this.

Good stats from the OWH. Pretty much passing except a stretch in the middle - mostly when they had Jacquizz Rodgers. Haven't been better than 96th in rushing in the last five years but pretty good passing.

YEAR (REC) P YDS RANK R YDS RANK POINTS RANK
2005 (5-6) 3,261 17 1,348 90 26.6 60
2006 (10-4) 3,393 16 1,655 68 27.8 36
2007 (9-4) 2,557 78 2,274 29 27.8 59
2008 (9-4) 3,237 25 2,055 45 30.5 32
2009 (8-5) 3,520 22 1,818 64 31.2 26
2010 (5-7) 2,483 81 1,435 99 24.4 81
2011 (3-9) 3,441 29 1,043 118 21.8 100
2012 (9-4) 3,992 13 1,617 96 32.5 37
2013 (7-6) 4,844 3 1,227 116 34.8 30
2014 (5-7) 3,305 30 1,417 112 25.7 86

Good stats from the OWH. Pretty much passing except a stretch in the middle - mostly when they had Jacquizz Rodgers. Haven't been better than 96th in rushing in the last five years but pretty good passing.

CryBabyWithSadFace.jpg

Don't cry, little baby. His running backs have been crap for the past 5 years. Terron Ward and Storm Woods have given me a bout of tourette's syndrome more than once.

Look at his records over the years at OSU. Whatever you want to call it Pro Style, West Coast, Adaptive to his players skills. Blah blah....whatever it's been it's only been a little above .500 mark. But I would've put his Beavers up against the Huskers every year for the last ten years and I bet Oregon State wins that ten year series. But that's how awfully bad I think the Nebraska program has fallen. Whatever he runs at Nebraska will be better than Beck. Just please don't expect this guy to win titles. They'll win 7-10 games a year and he won't make a fool out of himself on National TV. I didn't care for BO but Im calling total BS that this replacement was hired to win Titles. This guy was hired to repair the imagine and good sportsmanship virtues at Nebraska. Our program has been the highlight real of sour faces the last 7 years. Coach Riley was brought in to be nice and keep the tickets and donor money coming. You wouldn't hire this guy and his long term winning percentage of .536? to compete for titles.

Look at his records over the years at OSU. Whatever you want to call it Pro Style, West Coast, Adaptive to his players skills. Blah blah....whatever it's been it's only been a little above .500 mark. But I would've put his Beavers up against the Huskers every year for the last ten years and I bet Oregon State wins that ten year series. But that's how awfully bad I think the Nebraska program has fallen. Whatever he runs at Nebraska will be better than Beck. Just please don't expect this guy to win titles. They'll win 7-10 games a year and he won't make a fool out of himself on National TV. I didn't care for BO but Im calling total BS that this replacement was hired to win Titles. This guy was hired to repair the imagine and good sportsmanship virtues at Nebraska. Our program has been the highlight real of sour faces the last 7 years. Coach Riley was brought in to be nice and keep the tickets and donor money coming. You wouldn't hire this guy and his long term winning percentage of .536? to compete for titles.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/72942-top-coaches-before-they-were-top-coaches-why-riley-deserves-a-chance/&do=findComment&comment=1474437

First time poster (and a Badger fan). I think this is a great hire, any time you get a respected coach who runs a program the right way, its the only place to start. 2nd task is to get a product on the field and Nebraska can certainly do that without too many problems.

To give a little background on Riley, he is the mentor to former UW OC Paul Chryst - one of the most respected offensive minds in the game. There is a lot of power running, heavy use of FB's and TE's and a very creative downfield passing game. At UW the OL does it all, a lot of pulling, some zone, a 2nd tight end plays H-Back and motions or pulls into the holes to give additional power at the point of attack. The run game is powerful and creative and gets defenses leaning...with the right QB this offense can be dynamite. Nebraska will need to find a QB that can get it downfield but even a serviceable QB is good enough to win games, mobility a huge plus. The OL should be excited as hell about this hire, RB's should be knocking down the door to get their share of carries at a storied program like Nebraska. Its not an overly sexy hire and demanding championships is a bit unfair, even though I think winning the West will happen for your program very soon (not as certain about a B1G championship in 3 years or whatever I'm reading on this board). My fear as a badger fan is that things don't work out for Paul Chryst at Pittsburg and he ends up at Nebraska under Riley as offensive coordinator. That would suck for Badger fans.

Riley can flat out coach if he gets the players. Nebraska is far better than Oregon State in terms of prestige, they should get no worse players than WI and that type of player is plenty good enough to win games. I'm 46 so I'm neither real old nor real young but I respected the way Nebraska ran a football program in the Osborne years - not so much the winning as the class. I think that is fully restored under Riley. Its a huge upgrade for your University if he wins 9+ games a year, winning is important but its about more than that at places like WI and NE. He's the type of coach that restores pride among former players, boosters, students, alumni, etc.

I do think a big key will be who gets hired as defensive coordinator, its critical that he gets it right. From my cheap seats you guys just didn't adjust on the field - that's on the coaches. I'm sure Pelini knew how to scheme an opponent but he sure as hell didn't know how to adjust to that opponent once the game got underway. I'm in the camp that the B1G can be a beast of a league if Nebraska returns to its glory, if Michigan returns to it glory, if Iowa can regain some swagger and teams like Minnesota, Illinois and Maryland continue to improve.

Congrats on the hire, I hope works out for the University, the state of Nebraska and the Conference as a whole.

The problem with Bo wasnt that he didnt know how to adjust the D, its the egomaniacal idiocy that he just wouldnt. Im stubborn but not to the point that if its broke that i wont change to fix it. Winning is more important to me, and i think it was more important to Bo to try and prove his way could work.

^^^^ I couldn't agree more

I was kind of looking forward to a Bielema/Shaw offensive line... does this all mean we won't be playing smash mouth football in November? Can we win with a pro-style offense in the B1G?

I prefer a balanced attack on offense. I believe a balanced attack keeps your opponent guessing, he never knows for sure what's coming next. That said, ANY offense when run correctly can be a thing of true beauty. Osborne's power run game in the 90's was awesome to watch as it steamrolled its way to 3 National titles. Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense was frigging incredible. How many times over the years did we hear "Montana to Rice!" Watching a Mike Leach offense pick apart a defenses secondary is pretty fantastic also.

I don't get to pick what kind of offense we'll run. In the end, all I really want is to see our team play like they know what they're doing and be competitive. Everything else is gravy.

Why couldn't we win with a pro-style offense? We just need the right athletes to run the offense and coaches who can develop and coach. And as Teach says, they need to be boss recruiters also. That part isn't optional, not if you want to compete for hardware.

I was kind of looking forward to a Bielema/Shaw offensive line... does this all mean we won't be playing smash mouth football in November? Can we win with a pro-style offense in the B1G?

I prefer a balanced attack on offense. I believe a balanced attack keeps your opponent guessing, he never knows for sure what's coming next. That said, ANY offense when run correctly can be a thing of true beauty. Osborne's power run game in the 90's was awesome to watch as it steamrolled its way to 3 National titles. Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense was frigging incredible. How many times over the years did we hear "Montana to Rice!" Watching a Mike Leach offense pick apart a defenses secondary is pretty fantastic also.

I don't get to pick what kind of offense we'll run. In the end, all I really want is to see our team play like they know what they're doing and be competitive. Everything else is gravy.

Why couldn't we win with a pro-style offense? We just need the right athletes to run the offense and coaches who can develop and coach. And as Teach says, they need to be boss recruiters also. That part isn't optional, not if you want to compete for hardware.

Combine our 2009, 2010, maybe even 2011 and 2013 defenses with our 2008 PRO STYLE offense and we would have won a bunch of games.

Combine our 2009, 2010, maybe even 2011 and 2013 defenses with our 2008 PRO STYLE offense and we would have won a bunch of games.

Exactly.

Especially so in 09 and 10. Even a mediocre offense in those two years means we win lots. Our offense was so terrible. /shudder

YEAR (REC) P YDS RANK R YDS RANK POINTS RANK

2005 (5-6) 3,261 17 1,348 90 26.6 60

2006 (10-4) 3,393 16 1,655 68 27.8 36

2007 (9-4) 2,557 78 2,274 29 27.8 59

2008 (9-4) 3,237 25 2,055 45 30.5 32

2009 (8-5) 3,520 22 1,818 64 31.2 26

2010 (5-7) 2,483 81 1,435 99 24.4 81

2011 (3-9) 3,441 29 1,043 118 21.8 100

2012 (9-4) 3,992 13 1,617 96 32.5 37

2013 (7-6) 4,844 3 1,227 116 34.8 30

2014 (5-7) 3,305 30 1,417 112 25.7 86

Those are not bad numbers considering his pass/run ratio has been somewhere around 3:1 (pass