Expectations over the next 5 years

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this yet, but i wanted to see what peoples expectations are now.

Given Eichorsts press conference and things that were said here are my expectations:

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (next year may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)

2. Play for and Win a conference title in the next 3 years

3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

To me this is what Eichorst was referencing when he talked about playing "Championship Caliber" football. The expectations must continue to be high otherwise we just fired a so-so coach to hire another one. If #2 does not happen I think Mike's seat gets very hot. He does not carry the big name cache and previous success that should buy him any more time than that to get it done.

You know it should not only be Riley seat heating up, the AD seat should be heating up as well. Harvey is retiring as I am counting down the months.

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.

They can say what ever they want about why BP was fired, he was fired because of the way he acted on the sideline, towards his bosses, towards the fan base and media. I was fine with his coaching and was very happy with the academic standards he set as a HC, but that type of personality is exhausting. If you have neve worked with or for someone like that you will never know. I have had a boss like that, it was like walking on egg shells all the time. One minute he was great and the next he would blow up about some stupid insignificant thing.

If BP would have won 70+% of his games and had that type of academic record and a better additude about things, he would still be at Nebraska. He doesn't have to be the nicest guy in the world, he just needs to not be a big dick.

True, Nick Saban is not the nicest guy in the world, neither is Mark Dantonio with the media, and they do show some displeasure on the sidelines, but it's not the over the top stuff we saw from Bo. I loved the Bo hire eight years ago, and I thought he was doing a good job in the first two or three years. It seems the move to the B1G didn't do so well, but then maybe after three years, that coincided with the less than stellar recruiting. But, how bad were those guys because he won nine games with them and Riley could only eek out 5......help I'm going in circles again.
Harbaugh and Kelly are far worse than Bo. So is Saban if one actually watches their games.

Personally, I'd rather see that than the "hands in pockets, stare at the ground and wait for it to be over" stuff that we see from other coaches.

Kelly maybe Harbaugh no. Saban meh .I don't think any of these 3 cost their team a game due to tantrums like Bo did his this year. the difference is these guys win games that matter while Bo got his ass kicked repeatedly in the games that mattered and looked like a tool doing it. as for Riley, hes a f'ing zombie on the sideline and what looks to me des little as far as play calls or in game coaching. but there isn't a camera fixed on him like there was on Bo during games so I could be wrong.

That was said about Oz for years when he stood on the sideling so if you are taking a shot at Riley, you are taking shot at Oz.

Ozzy was calling the plays in for the O and thinking what plays to run. Riley is not calling the plays, big difference and not a smack on Ozzy either.

Riley is a .500 coach. He had the talent to win more games this year had he truly played to the strengths of the players.

HE HAD HIS GUYS AT OSU. And still produced .546 career there............. Why does anyone suddenly think he will win here? What in his resume or previous performance says that he will change. The worrisome issue is that piss poor coaching cost some games. Not players, talent or "want to", but coaching. As Lightfighter said, look at who we lost to. That should never happen at NU. Not with some guy with such an incredible coaching pedigree..

We will suffer through the next few years until Riley is gone. Sadly, I wouldn't make a move until SE is kicked to the curb. I figure settle in for some 7-5, 8-4 seasons with a crazy win (MSU) every season, but playing for no conference championships or big bowls....

This rhetoric has grown old.

He didn't have HIS guys at OSU. He had guys he could GET to OSU. Come on man. He got the leftovers from every other west coast program. Kids ain't beating down the door to come to Corvallis. It's apples to oranges. Always will be.

From 2008 to 2015 (While Bo was here), Nebraska recruited 47 four star recruits and 1 five star. During that same time period, OSU recruited 8 four stars and 1 five star that flamed out spectacularly (Simi Kuli, who we also recruited in 2008, never played for them).

As far as I'm concerned, the talent gap alone throws any legitimate comparison out the window. And now we're all up in arms because he was given one season with a QB that routinely made predetermined throws right at defenders that directly cost us a handful of games? Give me a break.

Didn't like the hire from day one, but I never thought for a second Nebraska would have a season as bad as it did.

That said, I don't feel like everything is hopeless. This isn't a great team and doesn't appear to be close to any kind of championship level, but it really had no business being 5-7. Some better luck, better clock management and some better secondary play early in the season and better QB play later in the season, and there's at least 2-3 extra wins in there, maybe more. Probably should have been 7-5 / 8-4. In other words, still mediocre at best. Just without the sideline fireworks.

Which is the way I've felt all along about Riley over Pelini....... a lateral move at best.

Riley is a .500 coach. He had the talent to win more games this year had he truly played to the strengths of the players.

HE HAD HIS GUYS AT OSU. And still produced .546 career there............. Why does anyone suddenly think he will win here? What in his resume or previous performance says that he will change. The worrisome issue is that piss poor coaching cost some games. Not players, talent or "want to", but coaching. As Lightfighter said, look at who we lost to. That should never happen at NU. Not with some guy with such an incredible coaching pedigree..

We will suffer through the next few years until Riley is gone. Sadly, I wouldn't make a move until SE is kicked to the curb. I figure settle in for some 7-5, 8-4 seasons with a crazy win (MSU) every season, but playing for no conference championships or big bowls....

He didn't have HIS guys at OSU. He had guys he could GET to OSU. Come on man. He got the leftovers from every other west coast program. Kids ain't beating down the door to come to Corvallis. It's apples to oranges. Always will be.

From 2008 to 2015 (While Bo was here), Nebraska recruited 47 four star recruits and 1 five star. During that same time period, OSU recruited 8 four stars and 1 five star that flamed out spectacularly (Simi Kuli, who we also recruited in 2008, never played for them).

As far as I'm concerned, the talent gap alone throws any legitimate comparison out the window. And now we're all up in arms because he was given one season with a QB that routinely made predetermined throws right at defenders that directly cost us a handful of games? Give me a break.

I don't agree, because other poor recruiting (per a flawed recruiting services metrics) teams do well.

Plus, he's recruiting the same guys to NU that he recruited to OSU. Not that I have a major problem with that. A coach has to go for who fits his system.

The biggest expectation is having Eichorst, Riley, and friends removed from the program. There is a massive derth in leadership down there that unfortunately will not be removed for a few years. The only thing worse then watching talent and resources being wasted is watching time being wasted. Can't get time back.

None of this leadership has shown any signs of actual leadership or quality decision making. We had or worst loss in fifty years and our athletic director writes a fricken letter. A letter violating his own policy of commenting on coaches during the year, which he had already violated once before. He sends the coaches to take all the flack while sending out a letter. That's not leadership. He also makes the decision to bring in a 62 year old coach who is going to completely change the offense and defense. To accommodate this we have to wait 2-4 years for 'his guys to get down here.' Great, so we will now have 64-68 year old head coach with a couple of years before he needs to retire or watch football pass him by if it hasn't already. Thats a lot of time and money wasted when time is the one thing that hurts the most to lose.

This team is exactly what a poorly coached team is: highly penalized and turnover prone. He has a .536 winning record over a career. I would love to be optimistic but the decisions that have been made during the season give little hope of anything better then .536. Look at the teams and coaches we beat this year:

South Alabama - 5-6 Not much needs said here

Southern Miss - 0-12 in 2013, 3-9 in 2014, with improvement in 2015.

Minnesota - 5-7 coach retires weeks later

MSU - Will tip my hat to this, except the said fact shows out talent is close to the big boys. Msu came to play.

Rutgers - 4-8 Whole athletic department canned.

This is embarrassing.

Now the teams we lost included an interim coach. a coach fired mid season, Purdue, a first year coach (one year removed from another first year coach). There is little to look forward to with this coaching staff except for quotes such as 'we have to pass the ball better to run the ball,' 'I was spooked because our one short yardage run play was already stopped for no loss,' paying 450,000 for a special teams coordinator (his sole responsibility) that constantly looks worse then the other teams special teams. It is evident they don't want to run the ball or adjust their schemes which means the program is going to be at the mercy of one single 18 year old kid from California. None of it makes sense.

There are two teams on that list of wins that are playing for their conference championships today. I wonder if any other team can say this. No one in the B1G can.

That's certainly a creative way to spin things...

But off the top of my head, LSU can probably make the same claim.

I should have said that two of the five teams we beat are playing in their respective conference championships today. LSU only beat Florida, but lost to Alabama. I think that's it for them.

Riley knows how to beat the good teams, it's the Purdue's and Illinois's of the world that we need to beat.

LSU also beat western Kentucky.

Yep, I missed that one. I was even watching the game which prompted me to think about Southern Miss winning their division.

I don't agree, because other poor recruiting (per a flawed recruiting services metrics) teams do well.

Plus, he's recruiting the same guys to NU that he recruited to OSU. Not that I have a major problem with that. A coach has to go for who fits his system.

Argue all you want about the accuracy of the recruiting services, but highly ranked classes DO correlate to on field success. I know I'm butchering this stat, but roughly: a championship hasn't been won by a team that didn't finish in the top 11 in recruiting in something like 15 years. Pretty telling.

You really think Riley is only accessing the same talent pool here that he did at OSU?

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.

They can say what ever they want about why BP was fired, he was fired because of the way he acted on the sideline, towards his bosses, towards the fan base and media. I was fine with his coaching and was very happy with the academic standards he set as a HC, but that type of personality is exhausting. If you have neve worked with or for someone like that you will never know. I have had a boss like that, it was like walking on egg shells all the time. One minute he was great and the next he would blow up about some stupid insignificant thing.

If BP would have won 70+% of his games and had that type of academic record and a better additude about things, he would still be at Nebraska. He doesn't have to be the nicest guy in the world, he just needs to not be a big dick.

True, Nick Saban is not the nicest guy in the world, neither is Mark Dantonio with the media, and they do show some displeasure on the sidelines, but it's not the over the top stuff we saw from Bo. I loved the Bo hire eight years ago, and I thought he was doing a good job in the first two or three years. It seems the move to the B1G didn't do so well, but then maybe after three years, that coincided with the less than stellar recruiting. But, how bad were those guys because he won nine games with them and Riley could only eek out 5......help I'm going in circles again.
Harbaugh and Kelly are far worse than Bo. So is Saban if one actually watches their games.

Personally, I'd rather see that than the "hands in pockets, stare at the ground and wait for it to be over" stuff that we see from other coaches.

Kelly maybe Harbaugh no. Saban meh .I don't think any of these 3 cost their team a game due to tantrums like Bo did his this year. the difference is these guys win games that matter while Bo got his ass kicked repeatedly in the games that mattered and looked like a tool doing it. as for Riley, hes a f'ing zombie on the sideline and what looks to me des little as far as play calls or in game coaching. but there isn't a camera fixed on him like there was on Bo during games so I could be wrong.

That was said about Oz for years when he stood on the sideling so if you are taking a shot at Riley, you are taking shot at Oz.

theres a big difference is Riley on a sideline and Tom on a sideline. Tom is engaged in the game. Riley doesn't seem to be. but thanks for clearing my thoughts....

You should attend a game sometime, you might think differently

Run a clean program.

Ozzy was calling the plays in for the O and thinking what plays to run. Riley is not calling the plays, big difference and not a smack on Ozzy either.

Big difference, not really. A lot of head coaches do not call plays.

It has been proven over and over again that if you do not finish in the top 15 in recruiting, you will not win a championship. Its all about talent. Riley is in the process of upgrading the talent on the field as we speak.

Based on what?

Talent at NU has been fairly consistent across the last 4 coaches and most of TO's career. It's not going to get much better without cheating.

Our coach needs to be able to win with what he had on the roster right now, or he's the wrong coach.

It has been proven over and over again that if you do not finish in the top 15 in recruiting, you will not win a championship. Its all about talent. Riley is in the process of upgrading the talent on the field as we speak.

Based on what?

Talent at NU has been fairly consistent across the last 4 coaches and most of TO's career. It's not going to get much better without cheating.

Our coach needs to be able to win with what he had on the roster right now, or he's the wrong coach.

There is no where near the talent here now to compete with top ten teams. It was much better under Osborne my a mile (Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom would laugh in your face) and Callahan was on his way to big improvements before he was let go. Solich and Bo only recruited MAC talent with a few exceptions.

I think a really good quarterback could make Langsdorf look really good. I think the defense has changed it's style in the last few games and taking chances instead of laying back waiting to get beat has paid off big time....so has looking for and intercepting the ball. Better linebacker/safety play will continue to shore up the D in both rush and pass protection.

I think we could get good enough to win the games we should win in this weak division....even if Langs calls passes on 4th and 1.

Did you see other teams in our division that looked special? Didn't think so. Even mighty Iowa only won by 8 with the help of our turnover machine and the dumbest play calling.

Of course, I thought that this year.