Questioning the coaching search timeline

knapplc

zoogies raises an excellent point. If Eichorst had an idea of the "type of guy" he wanted, it would be almost impossible to go from Bielema to Riley. The two couldn't be further apart in demeanor. If we lined everybody up on a graph with Osborne's personality at one end and Pelini's at the other, Bert & Riley would be on completely different ends of the spectrum.

That is entirely possible. But someone is going to have to fill me in: What about Bielema makes people say this. Honest question. I know we don't like him because we played against him but what else?

It’s also not that easy. Eichorst fired Bo Pelini Sunday morning. He met with Husker players Sunday night. When he got home, Eichorst “took a deep breath,” he said.

He started thinking about the qualities he wanted in Nebraska’s next coach. He wasn’t even looking at specific candidates yet, he said. Then he started going through his mental list. He zeroed in on Riley.
Ten years ago, the Oregon State coach popped up on Eichorst’s radar during South Carolina’s coaching search. Eichorst was an assistant athletic director at South Carolina.
South Carolina eventually chose Steve Spurrier, but Eichorst didn’t forget what he liked about Riley.
“He’s an elite coach,” Eichorst said. “He’s a teacher.”
Monday morning, following the first of five consecutive short nights of sleep, Eichorst determined that Riley was his No. 1 target. He contacted the Oregon State coach to see if he was interested. Riley was.

OWH

Which narrative makes you feel better about this coaching search: That Bielma (and possible others) turned it down? Or that our AD looked at a list, saw a guys name from 10 years ago and called it good?

It’s also not that easy. Eichorst fired Bo Pelini Sunday morning. He met with Husker players Sunday night. When he got home, Eichorst “took a deep breath,” he said.

He started thinking about the qualities he wanted in Nebraska’s next coach. He wasn’t even looking at specific candidates yet, he said. Then he started going through his mental list. He zeroed in on Riley.
Ten years ago, the Oregon State coach popped up on Eichorst’s radar during South Carolina’s coaching search. Eichorst was an assistant athletic director at South Carolina.
South Carolina eventually chose Steve Spurrier, but Eichorst didn’t forget what he liked about Riley.
Monday morning, following the first of five consecutive short nights of sleep, Eichorst determined that Riley was his No. 1 target. He contacted the Oregon State coach to see if he was interested. Riley was.

OWH

Which narrative makes you feel better about this coaching search: That Bielma (and possible others) turned it down? Or that our AD looked at a list, saw a guys name from 10 years ago and called it good?

I would like to think that SE started with Riley and Riley killed the interview and he got the job. No need to go any further. I think the "looked at a list and saw a guys name from 10 years ago and called it good" is very short-sighted

I don't believe BB was offered anything because he is considered as much of a jerk as Pelini is. And we were trying to get away from that.

• Fire 1

OWH

I would like to think that SE started with Riley and Riley killed the interview and he got the job. No need to go any further. I think the "looked at a list and saw a guys name from 10 years ago and called it good" is very short-sighted

I don't believe BB was offered anything because he is considered as much of a jerk as Pelini is. And we were trying to get away from that.

If it's short-sighted, that's on Eichort. Sunday night he wasn't even thinking of specific people. Monday morning, he's got his man. There isn't much room for much else.

Am I the only one having a WTF moment with regards to TO? $ Byrne wanted Bob Stoops. TO pulls rank which hands us Solich. TO hires Bo. And now we hear TO got boosters to threaten to pull funds if Bo is fired? If one didn't know better, it would appear someone is trying to protect a legacy.

Exactly. But to protect a legacy of division, us-against-them, paranoia to the point the farewell meeting has to be off-campus, raging at officials, players, fans, and the administration? I don't get the thought process.

This may need a separate thread. Don't want to be a hi-jacker.

I don't get the people who don't want to believe Mike Riley was our first choice.

What is the difference between those "who don't want to believe" he was the first choice and those that only want to believe he was the first choice? Other than which reports they want to believe.

There's a big difference. If you believe Riley was the first choice, then the very short timeframe and the (checkable) story from NU's administrators makes sense. Not to mention Riley appears to be a clone of Tom Osborne (without all the wins) and exactly the type of person Eichorst would pursue.

If you believe Riley was not the first choice then you have to figure out how NU conducted a coaching search in three days, landed a guy completely off the radar after being turned down by one or multiple other coaches, and then lied about the whole thing. Additionally, the primary "source" promoting this version is a click-trolling rumor site without any history of accuracy.

I don't believe Bielema was offered. That would make absolutely no sense in about twenty different ways. The only way it makes any sense is that he runs a power offense. But even if that offense were being pursued, wouldn't David Shaw make more sense?

• Fire 1