Questioning the coaching search timeline

knapplc

Wow Marvic didn't think you would feel that way about things.

My feeling on Bret B is that he really was too much like BP to go after. I believe that we never offered.

I don't have a hard time thinking that he only targeted Riley, I think Wisconsin took a hard look at him so he knew him coming into the situation.

To me it sounds like you think he didn't do his homework. I think it is the opposite. I think he did a lot homework decided this is who he wanted and went after him. If Riley said no than move to second choice.

Whether MR gets it done or not is to be seen, but I think it is a bold out of the box choice

• Fire 1

Again, I don't think Riley is a terrible hire. But when we knew this was coming for at least one year and probably several, were certain that's what we were doing for about a month then settle on a guy who's main selling point is other schools wanted him 12 years ago, he had some good seasons 8-10 years ago, he SHOULD do better at a bigger school and he's a nice guy, I'm not sure why we had to go for that four days after we fired our previous coach.

Solid take on the situation, Mav.

I'd say the four days was simply due diligence on our Administration's part.

I agree that hiring a 61-year-old coach is odd, and there were seemingly better candidates out there. Perhaps hiring a man in the waning years of his career is part of a long-term plan?

Samuel McKewon ‏@swmckewonOWH

Perlman on Bielema: “If he came here do you think we’d have much confidence he would stay?”

drop6.gif

Trying to steal my posts?

I hope this doesn't imply that Perlman wants only HC candidates that nobody would ever want. :confucius

Considering BB ditched Wisconsin for Arkansas. Then after two years, ditched Arkansas for Nebraska. How long before he ditches us? That was my major red flag with BB.

Riley was on Alvarez's short list. It doesn't surprise me that he was on Eichorst's as well. I firmly believe that this was a done deal before Pelini was ever out the door. For obvious reasons, NU just had to make it look like it wasn't. When institutions are making strategic decisions on that level, they typically like to make damn sure of the outcome so they don't look stupid (especially after the Steve P debacle).