Questioning the coaching search timeline

knapplc

I've read speculation that some in Wisconsin were afraid Paul Chryst could come to NU as Riley's Offensive Coordinator, not head coach. I think that's what is meant by "surfacing" at Nebraska.

Why would they be afraid he'd he leave his job as the HC at Pitt to be an OC here? I can see him upgrading to a better HC gig, but taking a step backwards and reducing his annual salary by more than half doesn't make any kind of sense.

The fear was he would be fired as HC at Pitt for going 6-7, 7-6 and 6-6 then reunited with now HC Riley at Nebraska as his OC again.

I've read speculation that some in Wisconsin were afraid Paul Chryst could come to NU as Riley's Offensive Coordinator, not head coach. I think that's what is meant by "surfacing" at Nebraska.

Why would they be afraid he'd he leave his job as the HC at Pitt to be an OC here? I can see him upgrading to a better HC gig, but taking a step backwards and reducing his annual salary by more than half doesn't make any kind of sense.

The fear was he would be fired as HC at Pitt for going 6-7, 7-6 and 6-6 then reunited with now HC Riley at Nebraska as his OC again.

People worried about that aren't following things at PItt too closely. That football program is a complete dumpster fire under Steve Pederson's regime. Chryst could go 3 and 9 and would probably still be safe just so they could have something resembling stability. Chryst is likely to jump ship to another HC job just to get out of that mess, though, whether that's Wisconsin or another opportunity.

Eichorst at the presser said the press knows what his characteristics are. Really?!?! They all say he's annoyingly silent.

Says Mike Riley has been on his radar for ten years.

Process went quickly for Eichorst. Got home Sunday night after meeting with the team, took a deep breath and hasn't slept since.

Said he fixed on Riley on Sunday morning. Reached out to him, Mike said he's interested. From there Eichorst recruited his tail off like he's never done before.

Harvey Perlman JUST HAPPENED to be in San Francisco when Mike Riley was in town. They met with Riley, Eichorst and Perlman talked and said he was their guy. Did due diligence and then drew up contracts and got their guy Wednesday night.

Dirk HAMMERING on Riley's record. Second question about this.

Eichorst has no concern about the record. Took circumstances into account.

Perlman didn't just happen to be in San Francisco, he was there for meetings that were previously scheduled. And after talking, Eichorst told Perlman, I think he's our guy.

Common sense and evidence indicate Riley was the first and only choice.

That also makes it a helluva gamble.

If we are to take Riley at his word that no one from Nebraska had contacted him prior to Pelini's firing, and knowing that Riley had previously turned down USC and Alabama, it was quite a risk to go all-in on Riley, especially with Michigan and Florida in play.

Hard to imagine there was no go-between who pre-confirmed Riley's interest before Eichorst made his initial phone call.

I don't think it would have been all in, Guy.

Let's suppose Riley was #1 on the list -- not necessarily true, but plenty plausible.

If Eichorst calls up Riley and broaches the topic and Riley says not interested, then he goes right down to the next couple of names on his list. As Perlman says, "any good AD" is prepared for this when he has to make the move.

Although Eichorst must have had some kind of understanding about the possibility of Riley leaving Oregon State, as with any number of other coaches around the country. That way he doesn't need to waste his consideration with making calls to Jim Saban or Mack Brown, etc.