I am SOLD!!!

While listening to Mike Riley's press conference this guy has sold his ideas on me! I love the fact that he is going to hold his coaches accountable in regards to how they coach our student athletes. I love how he is embracing the tradition at Nebraska and the core values that our university stands for. Now I see how every coach in the country likes this guy. I also love the fact how he says that he and his staff needs to hit the recruiting trail fast! Welcome to Nebraska Coach Riley, you have gained a HUGE fan in me! GO BIG RED!!!

Did he mention how he was going to distribute Blackshirts? :funnyhahah

I don't care how they get distributed...but the next guy to come in here and undersell what is arguably the greatest marketing tool NU has........well - he just can't do that. It's part of the brand and shouldn't be minimized at all..........

It matters, both from a financial standpoint and a recruiting standpoint. It should be a prominent part of the whole deal...........

Can you imaging Coach O selling the Blackshirt brand to recruits! Mike sign up Coach O this afternoon please and get SF on Sunday morning for OC. :ahhhhhhhh

Or hopefully Ed Orgeron

Not Orgeron. The guy is not cool. Here's a quote from a USC player:

In order to show up on time for a required statistics course one semester, he says he had to leave spring practice twenty minutes early, once a week. His defensive line coach, Ed Orgeron, wasn’t happy. You motherf—-r, DeMars remembers Orgeron, who went on to become head coach at Ole Miss from 2005 to 2007, and is now back at USC as assistant head coach, shouting at him. “He M-F’d me all over the place,” says DeMars. “He made me feel like a bad person for going to class.”

DeMars says playing for USC was a “dream come true.” But it came at a cost. “You get brainwashed by your coaches,” says DeMars. “You don’t want to let anyone down.” According to DeMars, in practice Orgeron would unleash verbal assaults on him, calling him every curse in the book. “He would push his brow into my head while he was screaming at me with his fist balled up,” says DeMars. “How am I not supposed to think this is a coach yelling at me and not someone trying to fight me?” http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/06/10/ex-usc-football-player-how-my-coach-called-me-a-m-r-for-going-to-class/

This is the character of a jerk. I also remember there being an assault charge, or something strange against Orgeron. Leave him be.

Didn't see that coming. We don't want a jerk for sure. Hopefully he has 'reformed' himself during the past year.

Just as i as starting to warm to the idea of this guy as our coach, i went back and really checked his records at OSU.

Seem like that program was built by Erickson, and has gone back in the tank the last few years. If he doesn't hire a great staff, i have a feeling that his stay in Lincoln will not be long.

Just as i as starting to warm to the idea of this guy as our coach, i went back and really checked his records at OSU.

Seem like that program was built by Erickson, and has gone back in the tank the last few years. If he doesn't hire a great staff, i have a feeling that his stay in Lincoln will not be long.

Well keep spreading your gloomy predictions if it makes you feel better, but I don't think anybody has any major misconceptions about Riley's record at OSU. It's a crap program, we get it. We won't really know what he can do at NU until next fall when the games start.

Well keep spreading your gloomy predictions if it makes you feel better, but I don't think anybody has any major misconceptions about Riley's record at OSU. It's a crap program, we get it. We won't really know what he can do at NU until next fall when the games start.

Not certain where I read it but I believe Ericksons' time there at Oregon St was when Riley went to the NFL and that he, Erickson, did well those three years using Rileys' recruits, winning the Fiesta Bowl and all. Riley was surely trending upwards when he left for the NFL and it seems Erickson was the beneficiary of what Riley had built. Maybe Riley came back to empty cupboards from the Erickson stint hence the up and down w/l records. Hard to achieve sustained momentum at bottom dweller facilities, etc.

Not certain where I read it but I believe Ericksons' time there at Oregon St was when Riley went to the NFL and that he, Erickson, did well those three years using Rileys' recruits, winning the Fiesta Bowl and all. Riley was surely trending upwards when he left for the NFL and it seems Erickson was the beneficiary of what Riley had built. Maybe Riley came back to empty cupboards from the Erickson stint hence the up and down w/l records. Hard to achieve sustained momentum at bottom dweller facilities, etc.
Quite a bit of Pedey-shine has been used today that's for certain.

I'm not sure how much was built from his 8~14 start there.

I've seen this hire called a dumpster fire hire today, so i went and checked his record. 03 until 09 was up and down, thanks to what DE brought into the program. Since 09, it's been garbage with the exception of 1 ok year.

We should be greatly concerned.

• Fire 1

Ed O isn't the answer folks. Also Riley isn't going to start anything of importance. I've been watching his Beavers play for over ten years. Lots of penalties, not much toughness. Likes to throw the ball like all these schools in the PAC 12. Weak defense!!!' Seems like a very nice guy, but had several co-workers laughing at me today at work in Oregon. Remarks like "sad day for nebraska". "Wow", "what is Neb thinking". I could go on and on. Dropped the ball on Frost. He just laid 50 plus on the Beavers last weekend. Game was over after the second quarter. I'm done with the eternal optimism from Husker nation. Every year thinkkng this could be it. Bottom line nobody fears us

Or respects us anymore. Living in the past. If you think this guy is bringing back the glory days.....well I'm glad your staying positive.

Or hopefully Ed Orgeron

Not Orgeron. The guy is not cool. Here's a quote from a USC player:

In order to show up on time for a required statistics course one semester, he says he had to leave spring practice twenty minutes early, once a week. His defensive line coach, Ed Orgeron, wasn’t happy. You motherf—-r, DeMars remembers Orgeron, who went on to become head coach at Ole Miss from 2005 to 2007, and is now back at USC as assistant head coach, shouting at him. “He M-F’d me all over the place,” says DeMars. “He made me feel like a bad person for going to class.”

DeMars says playing for USC was a “dream come true.” But it came at a cost. “You get brainwashed by your coaches,” says DeMars. “You don’t want to let anyone down.” According to DeMars, in practice Orgeron would unleash verbal assaults on him, calling him every curse in the book. “He would push his brow into my head while he was screaming at me with his fist balled up,” says DeMars. “How am I not supposed to think this is a coach yelling at me and not someone trying to fight me?” http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/06/10/ex-usc-football-player-how-my-coach-called-me-a-m-r-for-going-to-class/

This is the character of a jerk. I also remember there being an assault charge, or something strange against Orgeron. Leave him be.

Go to Wikipedia to read about past issues with the law

I've seen this hire called a dumpster fire hire today, so i went and checked his record. 03 until 09 was up and down, thanks to what DE brought into the program. Since 09, it's been garbage with the exception of 1 ok year.

By who other than those looking for the "splash" hire on this board. Heard many others say it was a home run hire, just shocking because the guy had turned down big time offers to stay at Corvalis so it was thought he would retire there. He's in it for the love of the game/kids not the spotlight.

What DE brought into the program wouldn't have had that long of an effect on results in the program. Maybe he used up Rileys cupboard and left for who was it, ASU. Some of these guys bounce around to where ever they see a good opportunity for success. Rileys' best records in that seven year stretch were 08 and 09 I believe.

By all means be greatly concerned, I'm not, maybe it doesn't work out but I believe this guy is planning on going out with a bang hence accepting the offer at arguably the greatest and most storied program in the history of college football.

By who other than those looking for the "splash" hire on this board. Heard many others say it was a home run hire, just shocking because the guy had turned down big time offers to stay at Corvalis so it was thought he would retire there. He's in it for the love of the game/kids not the spotlight.

What DE brought into the program wouldn't have had that long of an effect on results in the program. Maybe he used up Rileys cupboard and left for who was it, ASU. Some of these guys bounce around to where ever they see a good opportunity for success. Rileys' best records in that seven year stretch were 08 and 09 I believe.

By all means be greatly concerned, I'm not, maybe it doesn't work out but I believe this guy is planning on going out with a bang hence accepting the offer at arguably the greatest and most storied program in the history of college football.

I'm with you. Something just feels more right about this hire than the last two. So many pieces fit. I'm not trying to be overly optimistic, im still very skeptical but hopeful.

Ed O isn't the answer folks. Also Riley isn't going to start anything of importance. I've been watching his Beavers play for over ten years. Lots of penalties, not much toughness. Likes to throw the ball like all these schools in the PAC 12. Weak defense!!!' Seems like a very nice guy, but had several co-workers laughing at me today at work in Oregon. Remarks like "sad day for nebraska". "Wow", "what is Neb thinking". I could go on and on. Dropped the ball on Frost. He just laid 50 plus on the Beavers last weekend. Game was over after the second quarter. I'm done with the eternal optimism from Husker nation. Every year thinkkng this could be it. Bottom line nobody fears us

Or respects us anymore. Living in the past. If you think this guy is bringing back the glory days.....well I'm glad your staying positive.

Wow, your co-workers laughed at you today and made some well informed(sarcasm) wise crack remarks regarding our new coach, they must be right.Winning 5 or 6 games at Oregon State should win you coach of the year in the PAC12 conference. This is not Oregon State.

Btw, watched that game and it was most likely over before it started…..like most of the other games that the opponent was the Oregon Ducks, i.e., UCLA, Stanford, ASU or whomever they played save Arizona. Going to be an interesting game tonight…maybe.

That's such bullcrap.

I was at the Fog Bowl in Corvallis. 2004 #1 USC at Oregon State.

USC had the #1 rated offense in the nation...averaging 45.3 points a game...and Oregon State held them to 28 points...and it wasn't the fog...because field level...(where I was seated, the play was fine) - it was only above you couldn't see.

And then in 2007, the Beavers held #1 USC to 21 points....and won.

I do think the newfangled offenses in the Pac-12 have gotten to Riley - hard.

He could beat USC because they were traditional...but with the Oregon's and Arizona's and Washington's and all this running QB spread and hurry up...he couldn't cope.

Good thing the Big10 is traditional to most degrees. This might be the perfect conference for him. He would thrive - not to beat a team like Oregon or Arizona...but a team like Wisconsin and Sparty.

I do think he was the perfect hire.

I know people just want to win...like anyone.

But Nebraska's public perception was really really bad.

I applaud the administration to going back and trying to restore the dignity (of which I think Riley would bring) to the school - nationally.

That might not satisfy people...but I think it's important to the school. This isn't a total PR hire (because Riley is a good coach) but it's a guy with class who if he has success can last 10 years and restore the national reputation of Nebraska...(which now is in total shambles thanks to beligerant rants and barnyard behavior.)