Riley's reaction in OSU Rape Case

gorp512

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I actually really like the hiring, but in doing research into Coach Riley, this is one of the most recent things to come up and something I've seen mentioned nowhere. Obviously, this is ten years later, and Riley apologized for his statement, but this is a pretty sad and repulsive display of leadership. Kinda don't know what to think.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I actually really like the hiring, but in doing research into Coach Riley, this is one of the most recent things to come up and something I've seen mentioned nowhere. Obviously, this is ten years later, and Riley apologized for his statement, but this is a pretty sad and repulsive display of leadership. Kinda don't know what to think.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

No charges were filed because the woman refused to speak. The players denied, and still deny, any involvement. Tough position for Coach Riley.

I completely disagree. He immediately suspended the two players involved, before the charges were even investigated. His statements show that he clearly "gets it" and understands what a horrible crime allegedly occurred. I don't equate a poor word choice with a "sad and repulsive display of leadership." No disrespect, but I think that's a pretty bizarre take after reading that article.

• Fire 3

I don't know all the information he had at the time, or if he handled the situation appropriately. But his willingness to openly discuss the issue over a decade later shows an honesty level above 95% of the people in his business.

+1. He is clearly a man who is willing to contemplate possible mistakes and consider other points of view. A compassionate man who won't dodge tough questions to keep up a reputation. I'm impressed with him, sad for the woman involved regardless what happened.