--Official "Positive References To Our New Coach Depository" Thread--

Landlord

Don't know about you guys, but keeping up with all of the traffic is making my head hurt. Keeping track of what was said where and which conversations are in which thread are impossible tasks in seasons like this, so here's an attempt for at least a little bit of order when trying to keep track of certain stuff.

If you come across cool tweets or stats or thoughts by the media or other coaches or whatever about new head coach fuhrer Mike Smiley, drop 'em in here.

Two years ago, when Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez was in search of a new Badger head football coach, the former Nebraska All-Big Eight Conference linebacker had Mike Riley on his short list. “I wanted Mike to talk with me about our job, but he wasn’t interested in leaving Oregon State,” Alvarez told me in a telephone conversation Thursday afternoon. Alvarez didn’t take the rejection personally “because I knew how many great jobs Mike’s turned down in the past,” he said. "Mike is really well thought of in our business. He’s one of the good guys in college athletics. He comes from a great background, has a really good offensive mind, and runs a very good program. I think he’ll be a great fit at Nebraska.”

“Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating head coach in college football. They’ll absolutely love him in Nebraska,” tweeted former New York Times writer Paul Myerberg, now the lead college football columnist for USA Today. To give an impression of Riley’s perception among peers, Myerberg tweeted that an FBS head coach sent him this text: “I just became a Nebraska fan today.” Myerberg tweeted six concise messages about Riley on Thursday, including one that envisions him “taking all of his many positives and multiplying them because of the assets now at his disposal.”

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209795414

Feldman's skeptical about Nebraska's overall prospects here:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/nebraska-cornhuskers-oregon-state-beavers-mike-riley-feldman-120514

...but that's Bruce Feldman's opinion. He also writes about the opinion of every coach he talked to about Riley in the same article, and those opinions go like this:

I spoke to four veteran coaches who have worked in the Pac-12 in the previous decade about the Riley bombshell news, and all four categorized him as one of the 10 or 15 best head coaches in all of college football. "Just being competitive at Oregon State is saying a lot," said one of the coaches. "You been to Corvallis? Good luck getting any recruits not from the Pacific Northwestern to go up there."

Another one of the coaches I spoke to Thursday night thought for a minute and rattled off his top three coaches in the Pac-12. He named Riley second (after Arizona's Rich Rodriguez). "Everyone should win at least 10 games a year at USC," the coach said. "Probably nine at UCLA and Oregon and Washington now. Winning more than six games a year in Corvallis should get you Coach of the Year."

CORVALLIS -- Mike Riley was named the nation's second-most underrated college football coach Saturday in ESPN's weekly college football poll of FBS head coaches.
Duke's David Cutcliffe (13 percent) edged out Riley (11 percent) for the top honor. East Carolina's Ruffin McNeill was third (8 percent), followed by Mark Dantonio (7 percent) and Minnesota's Jerry Kill and Kansas State's Bill Snyder (5 percent each).
Riley and Dantonio tied for the most votes from Power 5 conference coaches at 14 percent. Riley, the Pac-12's longest-tenured headman, is 90-73 with the Beavers. He has led OSU to eight bowl appearances in his 14-year Corvallis career.