Johnny Stanton

Bo started a RS freshman at QB over a Senior because he felt like he gave him the best chance to win. I fully believe that if Stanton was better than Armstrong this year, he would have started.

this is debateable, in my opinion.
Probably is debatable. I just believe that Bo was a lot of things but he's not a coach that doesn't play the best player in a skill position.
i cant help but argue with this. Too many instances otherwise. Banderas over Rose(had rose not been hurt, this woulda happened), last year Randle over Collins/Valentine, Alex Lewis over Price. Cotton over Kondolo. Pelini over Reeves. Santos over Anderson. Cooper still playing for whatever the hell reason.

These were obvious. With obvious results on the field, to casual fans. And thats just the last two seasons. Youll never convince me that Martinez was our best chance to win on 2010 over a senior Zack Lee, even with all the flashes. Martinez was a project for the future, but he wasnt the best quarterback at the time in 2010

I agree with your last part. That still bothers me to this day. That season could've been so much more.

I'm not buying Stanton is on the bench just because. I've heard several talking heads say that he definitely has some work to do. Its pretty sad when a walk on is ahead of a 3/4 star on the depth chart.

Bo started a RS freshman at QB over a Senior because he felt like he gave him the best chance to win. I fully believe that if Stanton was better than Armstrong this year, he would have started.

This. The previous staff praised Stanton, but said he was inconsistent.

Going forward, I'm excited to see what our QBs can do with what seems likely to be more and better hands-on QB coaching.

Pelini said in fall camp that Stanton, at times, looks like the best QB on the team inconsistency was his trouble. With Armstrong playing all year, and being terribly inconsistent at times, I wonder how bad Stanton must have been in Beck's system to not get a chance to even play in a mop up role this year.

Going forward, I'm excited to see what our QBs can do with what seems likely to be more and better hands-on QB coaching.

Pelini said in fall camp that Stanton, at times, looks like the best QB on the team inconsistency was his trouble. With Armstrong playing all year, and being terribly inconsistent at times, I wonder how bad Stanton must have been in Beck's system to not get a chance to even play in a mop up role this year.

Must be a coaching thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't he the QB everyone was gushing about at the Elite 11 camp he participated in?

Must be a coaching thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't he the QB everyone was gushing about at the Elite 11 camp he participated in?

Yes. If I remember right he was actually leading the Elite 11 camp after day two. He couldn't attend the next day due to other arrangements and that put him behind the rest.

maybe we will have someone to actually develop our QB's this year? using a GA in the past was a small commitment for the guy who handles the ball every down.

+1

It was baffling to me that this staff kept Barney Cotton to coach.......umm, whatever it was he supposedly coached, and used a GA to coach the most important position on the team. Some will argue that Beck coached the QBs, but I don't ever recall him being on the field talking over plays, or explaining what went wrong.

I personally think AJ Bush or Stanton will be starting next year, but whoever it is (I honestly don't care), I will be a little more confident when they drop back to pass given Riley's history with QBs.

Story was that when Stanton could go to his first option, he was on time and accurate. It was when he'd have to start working through his progressions that he struggled. Probably not the entire story but that was mentioned several times.

Now all the QBs will be starting at the same spot in regards to learning the offense. Will be interesting to see who wins out.

Story was that when Stanton could go to his first option, he was on time and accurate. It was when he'd have to start working through his progressions that he struggled. Probably not the entire story but that was mentioned several times.

Now all the QBs will be starting at the same spot in regards to learning the offense. Will be interesting to see who wins out.

Seemed like TA had the same hang-up so I have to wonder if the zone read ability might have been the tipping point. You're probably right about the clean slate though. Back to "wait and see"... :confucius

this is debateable, in my opinion.
Probably is debatable. I just believe that Bo was a lot of things but he's not a coach that doesn't play the best player in a skill position.
i cant help but argue with this. Too many instances otherwise. Banderas over Rose(had rose not been hurt, this woulda happened), last year Randle over Collins/Valentine, Alex Lewis over Price. Cotton over Kondolo. Pelini over Reeves. Santos over Anderson. Cooper still playing for whatever the hell reason.

These were obvious. With obvious results on the field, to casual fans. And thats just the last two seasons. Youll never convince me that Martinez was our best chance to win on 2010 over a senior Zack Lee, even with all the flashes. Martinez was a project for the future, but he wasnt the best quarterback at the time in 2010

And that's why its debateable. But in your examples you didn't mention one skill position.
every position is a skill position. I hat that garbage assessment. Lineman have skills too it takes 11 guys with particular "skills" to make it hum.

Seemed like TA had the same hang-up so I have to wonder if the zone read ability might have been the tipping point. You're probably right about the clean slate though. Back to "wait and see"... :confucius

TA is probably a little faster but Stanton ran zone read in high school and runs like a truck. Think Scott Frost.

I was gonna ask if he was. I seem to remember him being in the running to be the best QB there, but had to leave to play state baseball or something.