The Tangent Thread, Dec 2014 Edition

zoogs

Winning always comes down to the best talent on the field, the more talent the more distance you have from your opponent and the more wins.Meyer and Saban that's why they selected to coach the Gators, Ohio ,LSU Alabama their the easy schools to recruit to, not because they are the best recruiters in the land. If you are out side of the high zones of talent you must do something different to attract the top players. I see Riley doing this, small changes using the kids media base for contract is big step having the fan base behind him, positive news coverage, backing from the past players .I believe this may help out in the long term to help us get into the top 15 in recruiting classes. Riley may not be the best but he filling in the holes we had and that's the start you need to make it back to the top

just a pedantic point - USC is considered a NC contender for next year because they will have a lot more scholarship players. AKA next year's team, which will be very different and better and deeper than the team we played, is considered a contender. Not the team we played.

just a pedantic point - USC is considered a NC contender for next year because they will have a lot more scholarship players. AKA next year's team, which will be very different and better and deeper than the team we played, is considered a contender. Not the team we played.

Yeah the 2 teams that played a close game in the bowl are only similar to the 2015 versions by name for the most part.

The issues that USC had to allow us to be in that game, and get back in that game, really have nothing to do with raw talent or ability. Penalties, complacency, maybe some entitlement if you will. Things that are not simply fixed with a full alotment of scholarships. Which means that it actually is a lot more than talent. We all know this. Do you have to have talent? Sure. Is talent all you have to have? No. And based on us being right there in the situation we were in tells me one of two things. Nebraska is nearly as close as USC is, or USC isnt really that close. It was played on the field.

You have every right to be skeptical.

But don't be concerned. Mike Riley will help people forget Bo Pelini.

Unless that's what concerns you.

Yes, skeptical is the much better word choice.

Now promise us you're actually rooting for Mike Riley to succeed.

I'm rooting for Mike Riley to succeed. He's a damn likable guy.

Depending on what our definition of succeed is, I have my doubts. If by succeed you mean compete within our division, teams like Iowa and Wisconsin, then he can be successful. If you mean succeed by competing with the nations best teams, Ohio State, Florida State, LSU, etc. then no. Or with the second tier teams, like UCLA, Clemson, Georgia, Michigan State, maybe. We're at least a few seasons away from competing with teams like that on any given week.

Bo Pelini's team already competed with UCLA, Georgia and Michigan State. I'd say we were a couple strategic adjustments and a less-frightened coaching staff away from winning those games with the same personnel. Of course we actually BEAT Georgia, but I get your gist.

And just a few weeks ago we looked like the peer of USC, expected to be 1st or 2nd Tier next season.

Patience is a virtue. Riley deserves it.

But there's no reason things can't change overnight.

exactly. Same thing with ESPN propping up USC as NC contenders. What does that say about us? We were a play away from WINNING that game even with all the turmoil the team was going through. So if your gonna put USC on that pedestal automatically, You cant completely write off the 9 win team that probably shouldve beat them. I dont care what the talent disparity is on paper, cuz there's more to it than that. If DPE or Ameer break a tackle on those last plays and scores, is USC still a legit 2015 NC contender? Where does Nebraska stand? Does the narrative change that they were pushing so hard just 20 minutes prior when it was a 17 point game?

And I'm in total agreement with Chamberlain. Folks look at a game like Wisconsin being 59-17, and think we're so far away, yet when you watch the game, and understand the mentality of the team the last few years, and the dynamic of their soft mentality at times, it's actually pretty easy to say that we're just a shift in mentality away from not only winning that game, but probably stepping on their throat up 17-3 and possibly winning going away. Same with the Michigan St game. Maybe the team actually shows up ready for a street fight and plays like they did the last 10 minutes or so for 60 and win the game by 20.

It's what I've been sayin for about 3 years now. We feel so close, yet so far away at the same time.

Id counter argue that we really aren't on the same level as UCLA, USC, Georgia... Weve lost to those teams (1-4) record between them including a few blowouts. What's more, few people outside of Nebraska fans actually thought we'd win those games.

That's the problem with Nebraska football, people outside of the state don't think we'll win games against teams with a pulse. Nobody is surprised to see UCLA crush us, or Wisconsin.

Playing 8 minutes of decent football a game isn't enough. Every team has flashes they can look towards and cite it as a reason for being 'close'. I'm sure NC State thinks the same after some close games against Florida State.

All that and yet the same results.

This last staff and team were kings of passing the problems around. First it was the offense that failed in big moments. Then the defense took their turn. Then the special teams became the joke of the bunch.

The constant was turnovers on offense and poor tackling on defense. Of course injuries became the go to for while, sometime justifiably. The conference move was apparently a huge problem.....I guess the game of football is apparently worlds different from the Big 12 to the Big Ten. After that excuse became wore out it was the fans fault, damn fans and their sellout streak. Oh no, now the media is holding no punches. The fan and media pressure is really killing this teams chances. We went from pointing the thumb to blaming the players and their "execution". Aha! At the end, the real culprit became apparent. Eichorst! He apparently didn't support the team enough either. Truly detrimental to the team and even Bo's health.

Gosh, you wonder, when negativity seems to follow you around do you ever begin to wonder if you're the problem?