New NU Defensive Coordinator Mark Banker

While I'd be underwhelmed if Banker is DC, this dude certainly has experience. He's been doing this a LONG time. At least no more first-time coordinators.

FWIW, I looked up their 2012 D stats during Riley's best year, and they were a top 30 defense across the board. Top 20 in turnovers forced.

If nothing else, I'd like to see what he would draw up with the ridiculous step up in talent he'd have at his disposal here.

Check this out...

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/10/mark_banker_on_not_receiving_c.html

CORVALLIS -- Last week, USC coach Steve Sarkisian told reporters that he would call Oregon State defensive coordinator Mark Banker to "clear the air" about blocking technique that injured two Beavers players.

Banker had questioned USC for two cut blocks -- he called them chop blocks at the time -- Trojans levied Sept. 27 on OSU defensive tackles Jalen Grimble and Noke Tago. Grimble doesn't expect to return until after the Oct. 25 Stanford game, while Tago is done for the season.

After practice Wednesday, Banker had a lengthy response when asked whether he received a call from Sarkisian. Below is a full transcript of the answer

No and I never expected it. No. 1, first of all, if you're going to call anyone, go call Noke Tago and his family. And the other thing, I've seen that before where people say things in interviews just to kind of CYA (cover your ass) it and then go from there. He's had a situation with Coach Riley on that when (secondary coach) Keith Heyward left here, as far as recruiting is concerned, he did the same thing. And a call doesn't do anything. It would never change my opinion as to what happened in the game anyhow. I thought it was just bad technique that the center used. It had nothing to do with him. I'm sure he didn't go over to the offensive line and say, "Hey, we're going to block back on the three technique and we're going to hit the guy in the knee." That had to do with their offensive line coach. He's the one that needs to maybe take a look at what they're doing physically. If this was the NFL, two things I think would happen. No. 1, they would get fined for it because of where they targeted that block. And No. 2, somebody would probably go rough the guy up a little bit -- not the center, either. Probably the offensive line coach. We're not going to get into that. But no big deal from the standpoint of the call. I don't care one way or the other. I never would've expected it. I just feel bad for the players that got hurt.

Check this out...

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/10/mark_banker_on_not_receiving_c.html

CORVALLIS -- Last week, USC coach Steve Sarkisian told reporters that he would call Oregon State defensive coordinator Mark Banker to "clear the air" about blocking technique that injured two Beavers players.

Banker had questioned USC for two cut blocks -- he called them chop blocks at the time -- Trojans levied Sept. 27 on OSU defensive tackles Jalen Grimble and Noke Tago. Grimble doesn't expect to return until after the Oct. 25 Stanford game, while Tago is done for the season.

After practice Wednesday, Banker had a lengthy response when asked whether he received a call from Sarkisian. Below is a full transcript of the answer

No and I never expected it. No. 1, first of all, if you're going to call anyone, go call Noke Tago and his family. And the other thing, I've seen that before where people say things in interviews just to kind of CYA (cover your ass) it and then go from there. He's had a situation with Coach Riley on that when (secondary coach) Keith Heyward left here, as far as recruiting is concerned, he did the same thing. And a call doesn't do anything. It would never change my opinion as to what happened in the game anyhow. I thought it was just bad technique that the center used. It had nothing to do with him. I'm sure he didn't go over to the offensive line and say, "Hey, we're going to block back on the three technique and we're going to hit the guy in the knee." That had to do with their offensive line coach. He's the one that needs to maybe take a look at what they're doing physically. If this was the NFL, two things I think would happen. No. 1, they would get fined for it because of where they targeted that block. And No. 2, somebody would probably go rough the guy up a little bit -- not the center, either. Probably the offensive line coach. We're not going to get into that. But no big deal from the standpoint of the call. I don't care one way or the other. I never would've expected it. I just feel bad for the players that got hurt.

I side with Banker on this, here is a video

Check this out...

Boom!

Really can't say what is going to happen. But, sometimes a coach can work well with better talent. And with a good scheme and plan in place that suits his players strengths, a coach can have lots of success. Kind of the same thing where less talented players can make a coach look awful. Or a particular difficult and nutty scheme. Lots of things to take into consideration. I am at least more interested in seeing what he can do with the talent we have here at Nebraska. There are some really good players on this squad. Real good. The previous co-DC's (ahem) failed to produce good results with this talent by installing a concept that was heavier on the brain instead of brawn, speed and quickness. Too much thinking and read responsibilities for each player that if one or two guys misread something, it all fell apart. They didn't execute or weren't in the right spot. I think guys were more nervous about screwing up and getting earful on the sidelines in front of everyone. Instead, things should have been less complicated so the players could do their job and perform at a high level from within their natural athletic ability.

/Hope

/Thoughts & Rant

Really can't say what is going to happen. But, sometimes a coach can work well with better talent. And with a good scheme and plan in place that suits his players strengths, a coach can have lots of success. Kind of the same thing where less talented players can make a coach look awful. Or a particular difficult and nutty scheme. Lots of things to take into consideration. I am at least more interested in seeing what he can do with the talent we have here at Nebraska. There are some really good players on this squad. Real good. The previous co-DC's (ahem) failed to produce good results with this talent by installing a concept that was heavier on the brain instead of brawn, speed and quickness. Too much thinking and read responsibilities for each player that if one or two guys misread something, it all fell apart. They didn't execute or weren't in the right spot. I think guys were more nervous about screwing up and getting earful on the sidelines in front of everyone. Instead, things should have been less complicated so the players could do their job and perform at a high level from within their natural athletic ability.

/Hope

/Thoughts & Rant

It all goes back to Damon Benning's assertion that this squad needs a calming influence instead of someone ripping them on the sideline when they do make a mistake.

It will be extremely interesting to see how they perform when they have said calming influence at the helm. They loved Bo, but the guy flat out destroyed their confidence and in turn wasn't putting them in a position to succeed.

/Hope

/Thoughts & Rant

That played into it, but my opinion on that is that players were really more concerned about winning the starting spot in practice than they were about the actual game. i don't know if that makes sense to people, but from all the comments from players and coaches, and with body language, it really seemed like the most emphasis was placed on winning a gameday playing spot by practicing harder than other guys and sounding smartest in meeting rooms. so then players only put their best out during practice, and just go through the motions on gameday, because, hey, the goal was winning a starting spot and looking good on tv, as opposed to beating the team on the other sideline.

except if bo really liked you and wasn't going to start/play anyone else no matter what.

• Fire 2