New NU Defensive Coordinator Mark Banker

This is a disappointing DC hire, which I am 95% certain Banker will be DC. He might be a good DC, but that is the one position Riley had to get a super recruiter on his staff.

Man, you must have really been disappointed with Papuchis then?

I know I was very dissapointed when Paps was named DC. Every position he had coached previously was poor.

It's not really Bankers fault...everything changed in CFB and especially in the Pac-12 and initially nobody could stop this hurry-up spread stuff.

Hell, USC with Pete Carroll's 5 Star recruits couldn't stop Oregon once they got going.

Then Arizona with Rich Rod and ASU with Graham and Leach being all over the place passing 65 times a game and then you have to regroup and play Stanford which is smash-mouth.

Look at Auburn and Bama this year...look at Baylor and TCU....

And yet Banker has had to deal with a more diverse offensive base than the SEC or Big10. Constant speed it up and spread it all around.

Before 2008 he was considered really good. His defense held the #1 offense in the country to 21 points in a win against USC and to 30 points in another win.

But yeah...he doesn't seem to have solved the new offenses - he's an old sort NFL guy...look how lame Monte Kiffin was at USC...gave up the most points in a season in the history of USC football. (And Monte was supposed to be some defensive genius)

As long as most teams in the Big10 don't adopt Oregon's O - I think Nebraska will be just fine on D.

• Fire 1

It's not really Bankers fault...everything changed in CFB and especially in the Pac-12 and initially nobody could stop this hurry-up spread stuff.

Hell, USC with Pete Carroll's 5 Star recruits couldn't stop Oregon once they got going.

Then Arizona with Rich Rod and ASU with Graham and Leach being all over the place passing 65 times a game and then you have to regroup and play Stanford which is smash-mouth.

And yet Banker has had to deal with a more diverse offensive base than the SEC or Big10. Constant speed it up and spread it all around.

Before 2008 he was considered really good. His defense held the #1 offense in the country to 21 points in a win against USC and to 30 points in another win.

But yeah...he doesn't seem to have solved the new offenses - he's an old sort NFL guy...look how lame Monte Kiffin was at USC...gave up the most points in a season in the history of USC football. (And Monte was supposed to be some defensive genius)

As long as most teams in the Big10 don't adopt Oregon's O - I think Nebraska will be just fine on D.

Did you hear Frost will be the new coach at wisky :)

Highlights of Banker’s tenure includes boasting the nation’s No. 1 rush defense in 2007 (70.6 yards per game) and the No. 2 total defense in the Pac-10 in 2008 (312.2 yards per game).

Notable to Nebraska fans, Oregon State held Wisconsin to 35 yards rushing on 23 attempts in 2012 — the same year the Badgers ran for 640 against Nebraska in the Big Ten Championship.

This season, Oregon State allowed 406.2 yards per game, including 158.2 rushing. Over the last four seasons, the Beavers have forced 100 turnovers, fourth-most in the Pac-12.

“He has a philosophy, and a system he teaches,” Riley once told the Oregonian about Banker. “He’s not out there trying every new fad, every new coverage, every new front.

“It is very well thought-out, there are building blocks to it, and our kids learn it young and grow into it. I think that’s the key to our success.”

Alvaraz said they would get a coach with HC experience. Not happening!

Alvaraz said they would get a coach with HC experience. Not happening!

Does that mean Bo is getting the job.

Never trust a banker!

But seriously, I think he would make a better DC in this conference than Big Nose & Fat Arms. Jay Foreman said the reason they were so cyclical on defense at OSU is it is difficult to build depth there. He seemed confident the guy knows what he's doing. Personally, I would love to see an aggressive, swarming defense again at NU.

Never trust a banker!

But seriously, I think he would make a better DC in this conference than Big Nose & Fat Arms. Jay Foreman said the reason they were so cyclical on defense at OSU is it is difficult to build depth there. He seemed confident the guy knows what he's doing. Personally, I would love to see an aggressive, swarming defense again at NU.

I agree. Really the only ways I see Banker not being the DC is if he is getting ready to hang it up but just wanted a couple more years of coaching somewhere new or if Riley told him that he needs a DC with more experience coaching in the B1G.