Which is better, a 4, 8 or 16 team playoff?

r06ue1

College Football Playoff  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am one that agrees with Troy, at the current 4 teams no team outside of the Big5 (maybe Notre Dame) will ever get in. I would prefer 8, not too watered down which 16 or more teams would do (and basically make the regular season worthless), but also enough to allow for the occasional Boise to slip in.

“There’s no doubt that it’s all set up for five conferences, as it is,” Calhoun said per the Colorado Springs Gazette. “You’ve got to be in one of those five conferences. It’s un-American, bottom line. We live in a country where upward mobility is possible, where games should be played out on the field.”

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun says four-team playoff is 'un-American'

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/air-force-coach-troy-calhoun-says-four-team-playoff-is--un-american-221755992.html

While I predicted this first year of the four team playoffs would piss more people off than ever, the end result feels surprisingly right. Only TCU and Baylor could make a case for injustice, and they've made it fairly meekly. For all the other college football fans not invested in a single team, these are the games we'd like to see. The teams left out can make their separate cases in other bowl games, just like the old days.

But as long as there are 5 major conferences and 3 potential Cinderallas, an 8 team playoff will always sound better.

I don't like the five conference champions getting an automatic invite. I've always liked the thought of having a model like the BCS choose the top however many teams. I haven't been a fan of the committee since it was announced. There's too many biases. At least the BCS format took some of the bias out with part of it being computer generated.

• Fire 1

I wouldn't mind a few more years with four teams. I could see the conferences shifting to align themselves to have teams get into the final four. TCU, for instance, probably would have got in if it weren't for the fact that the B12 doesn't have a conference championship. Notre Dame will always be on the outside looking in unless they get into a conference. I'm just saying that four teams kind of forces teams and conferences to be become more competitive....no team is going to waltz into the final four without having done battle with top quality opponents.

Eventually, I think that eight teams would be ideal. However, I would like teams to get into the playoffs by winning conference championships. Screw the polls.

I don't like the five conference champions getting an automatic invite. I've always liked the thought of having a model like the BCS choose the top however many teams. I haven't been a fan of the committee since it was announced. There's too many biases. At least the BCS format took some of the bias out with part of it being computer generated.

So, you don't like conference champions making the playoffs by earning it on the field but then turn around and say you don't like a system where there is personal biases. Hmmmm....

• Fire 1

I agree with the conference champions (Big5) getting automatic bids. You could have a conference champion some year with 3 or 4 losses but they could actually be the best team in the country due to the difficulty of their conference (or they could suck and lose in the first round).

Not at all. Ohio State doesn't belong in the playoff. They are in there merely because the playoff committee didn't want to do the Big 12 commissioners job and basically anoint the Big 12 Champion. A couple of years ago, Bama won the NC despite not winning the SEC. Whether one wants to admit it or not, the BCS got it right having a rematch between LSU and Bama for the NC. For years, I always thought it was an absolute joke that the Big East Champion got an automatic BCS bowl berth. Giving an automatic berth into the playoff for the power 5 conference champions is also an absolute joke. Sometimes the best teams are in the same conference.

I agree with the conference champions (Big5) getting automatic bids. You could have a conference champion some year with 3 or 4 losses but they could actually be the best team in the country due to the difficulty of their conference (or they could suck and lose in the first round).

You would have been completely fine in 2012 granting Wisconsin an automatic berth because they won the B1G despite being unranked?

4 teams. College football is the only sport where the regular season is like a playoff atmosphere every weekend. That's what makes it so great. There are playoff-type games or playoff implication games EVERY weekend. Don't water it down. The NFL is watered down...lose in week 1? So what? Lose in week 10? Who cares? In week 10 if the best team in the NFL is being upset, I may not even watch. In week 10 if the #1 team in college football is being upset it is a must stop whatever else is going on and I have to watch it. Don't ruin a good thing.

• Fire 1

Not at all. Ohio State doesn't belong in the playoff. They are in there merely because the playoff committee didn't want to do the Big 12 commissioners job and basically anoint the Big 12 Champion. A couple of years ago, Bama won the NC despite not winning the SEC. Whether one wants to admit it or not, the BCS got it right having a rematch between LSU and Bama for the NC. For years, I always thought it was an absolute joke that the Big East Champion got an automatic BCS bowl berth. Giving an automatic berth into the playoff for the power 5 conference champions is also an absolute joke. Sometimes the best teams are in the same conference.

I don't think there is one sentence in that post I can agree with.

• Fire 3