What makes you like Husker football?

ericdolph

My mom married my stepdad in 85. There were born and raised in Grand Island. Grew up with the games always in the background with my relatives screaming. I remember watching them marching through in the 90s. Tommys run, the tennessee beatdown. Fell of for a few years till i met my wife and her parents are die hard ISU fans. I had lost some of the passion but when they invited me to my first college game in 04 i got to see ISU beat Nebraska and get razzed all the way back to the car. I had been renewed in my spirit and have been following it closely ever since. Finally got to see my first home game in 10 against Oklahoma and that sealed it for life.

Im a fan because of growing up i always heard this University held themselves at a different level. That they cheered win or loss, Its alot to me to have integrity win or lose

My grandfather was fan when DX Bible was coach. He worked the railroad and took the train to Lincoln from South Sioux City, NE for the games. My dad grew up during the Bill Glassford era. He told me about listening to games with his dad on the radio in the garage while working on cars in the 40s and 50s.

Grandpa became a season ticket holder in the Devaney years.

I remember listening to games on KFAB with my dad.. I remember Bremser's voice, then Pavelka. Then Espn killed the radio star..

I'm a fan because my dad was a fan. And his dad was a fan. And now my kids are fans. Nebraska is our life.

• Fire 1

I was born, bred, and bleed Nebraska. Was born in Norfolk to a Husker loving family. Agree with others that I feel there is something genetic there. My family has lived in Norfolk forever. My grandparents were huge fans, my uncle ('81-'83) and cousin ('3-'6) played for the for the Huskers. Grew up wearing Huskers gear ever since I was little. My uncle was a strength coach there with Epply back in the day when things really started up. My Grandfather was a state senator and they have had season tickets since the 60's or 70's I think.

Remember thanksgiving weekends and Christmas time bowl games. Remember Beringer, Crouch, Tommie, Aman, Phillips, peters, wistrom ( my uncle helped recruit him I believe), blackshirts, etc etc etc. too many great things. Wish I could have been alive or old enough to remember all the old time Oklahoma games.

Too many things made me a Husker. And now I get to pass that to my son. He's 2 now and has gear and decorations all over. In the hospital he had his cradle roll picture with Huskers stocking hat and The day I brought him home from the hospital we watched out first Huskers game together a day I will always remember. My wife has embraced out fanatical nature of Husker love.

Born bleeding Red and Red till dead.

Lunchbucket

I was born a fan of Husker Football by the grace of God.

One of my first memories of the Huskers was how elated everyone was that we had finally beaten Oklahoma under Tom Osborne. I think I was 8. I remember how pissed off everyone was when we had to play them in the Orange Bowl for the second time that year.

I remember when Osborne made the switch to the Option offense, and how everyone thought it would be so great because it was more like what Oklahoma was doing with their Wishbone.

I remember when I had to split wood as a kid, me and a sledgehammer & wedges and a pile of wood out in the backyard, draping the extension cord through the back garage door out to the old plastic AM radio with the back missing, sitting it on a spare log and listening to Lyell Bremser and later Kent Pavelka calling games. Most games kicked off at 1pm those days and I could listen to the Huskers all afternoon.

My fandom was set in stone during the 1983 season. The dismantling of Minnesota, where it seemed every play resulted in a touchdown. The Oklahoma win, then the Miami game. How it seemed so hopeless at the end, then we scored and needed the extra point for the tie to win the National Championship, but Osborne went for two and Miami played it perfectly, and I remember how crushing it was to see the pass tipped away. I think the smaller you are the greater the hurt when your team loses, and that game hurt more than any other in my life.

My cousin (Dan Casterline) was on that '83 team and that Orange Bowl my first memory of seeing the Huskers play. I've never even been to Nebraska, but the Huskers have been my team for the past 31 years. That first game really hurt (I was 10), but it's been a fun ride for the most part. 95% of teams in America can't hold a candle to us over that time. GBR!

• Fire 1

I was born, bred, and bleed Nebraska. Was born in Norfolk to a Husker loving family. Agree with others that I feel there is something genetic there. My family has lived in Norfolk forever. My grandparents were huge fans, my uncle ('81-'83) and cousin ('3-'6) played for the for the Huskers.

Got a hunch.... Brungardts?

I remember Tim because my favorite Husker shirt at that time had #32 on it, which happened to be him, so I naturally paid closer attention. So it was my Tim Brungardt shirt. What everyone failed to tell me was that it was my brother's hand me down and it was actually an I.M. Hipp shirt bought roughly five years earlier.

The fake field goal in the '83 Oklahoma game is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen.... why it never gets mentioned in the lore of other famous Osborne trick plays I'll never understand.

Great stories.

My devotion dates back to the 1983 title game. Wanted NU to pull it out so bad. We had a lot of folks over at our house that day. I was nine at the time. Miami jumped to that early lead and we weren't playing all that well and most of the adults went off into the kitchen to have coffee. I stuck with it until the end. And, on that last drive, I started shouting for everyone to come back to the living room. They came in just in time to see the huge touchdown run.... followed by that dang two-point miss. I was crushed but at the same time galvanized as a fan forever.

There have been great moments. Sad moments. Losses and wins. Blow out victories and blow out losses. Even a tie.. Colorado. Through it all, I have always remained loyal and, although I might get frustrated with the coaches once in a while, my support is always there.

That's why I get a little bit miffed when someone suggests to me that I need to support MR and the new coaching staff. And that we need to unite in order for the team to be good.

As I said, there has never been a time when I thought, the heck with Nebraska. My loyalty is unwavering.

And, let's face it, even if some of us jumped ship, that wouldn't affect the Husker program on the field anyway. If Nebraska has what it takes to win, they will, whether you like it or not. And if they don't have what it takes to win, they'll lose, whether you like it or not.

I love it when coaches reach out to fans and try to make us feel important. It is cool and it makes it more fun. If they don't make a big effort, no big deal.

Just don't tell me, "Hey, you've got to support this team."

I already do that.

• Fire 2

I grew up in Nebraska. My dad and my gradpas were big fans, and I was too when I was really little. As I grew up I wasn’t into sports, and I didn’t pay attention. I remember in January of ’94, it must’ve been, I was working as a telemarketer around the time of the NC game and someone on the phone asked me where I was. I said, “Nebraska” and the reply was “oh man, you guys got ripped off!”

The next year I was living abroad as an exchange student. I had a teacher who was from Nebraska, but hadn’t been home in like 20 years. I was kept informed about what was going on with Tommie and Brook until I started following the team myself as much as I could. It was exciting, we were winning every week and it was a connection to home. When we finally played for the NC that year it was broadcast live on armed forces radio and I listened intently to a game for the first time. I was so hooked after we won that it wasn’t even funny. In the middle of the night I happened to turn on the TV and found the game being broadcast, and I watched what was left of it, getting to see the plays for the first time. I haven’t missed a game since.
  • Fire 1

birth ceriticate reads:

Lancaster County Nebraska Sept 21, 1966

granparents were good friends and lived across the street from Bob Devaney

My aunt owned the Big Red Shop (now the site of the chamions Club for you youngins, ESPN used to shoot Game Day there everytime they were in town which was a lot back then)

cousin was a safety there in late 80's.

never known any different

• Fire 1

Lincoln born. Pretty much a guarantee.

It helps when you are in first grade during the 1982-83 school year and your dad takes you to your first game and there's guys named Gill, Rozier, Fryar, Rimington, Craig, and Steinkuhler all on the field.

Me too. Lincoln born. UNL grad. So it's pretty much inevitable. :bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

Pops was from nebraska, starting making the trip north from Dallas, when I was 5 years. It's a special experience for me, even walking around the campus now - the memories I have from 97 KSU, 98 Texas - trust me this one hurt saw my first loss at memorial stadium, 00 Colorado, 01 oklahoma, 06 texas - again probably the funniest game I've been to regardless of that fumble and loss, 08 Colorado, 09 oklahoma - old school defensive battle, 11 Ohio state, 13 northwestern and 14 Miami. Sister is about to graduate from UNL and I still to this day envy the fact she spent 4 football seasons up there!

Great games and great memories, it's turned into a family tradition. The gf even made it up this year, and she couldn't believe the atmosphere. Although the Miami game was different for me to. I hate hate hate the U and everything they stand for. The atmosphere for that game is one that I saw in Baton Rouge when bama came to play there. I saw that as impressive, especially since she's from Midland Texas and we all know how nuts they are about their football - see/read Friday Night Lights. They're crazy about their football, although the only academicly successful high school is private. Granted she went to SMU, so their program and gameday experience isn't much to write home about. However, if anyone is ever in Dallas for a game and would like to "boulevard" I'd be more than happy to host a fellow husker.

I was born, bred, and bleed Nebraska. Was born in Norfolk to a Husker loving family. Agree with others that I feel there is something genetic there. My family has lived in Norfolk forever. My grandparents were huge fans, my uncle ('81-'83) and cousin ('3-'6) played for the for the Huskers. Grew up wearing Huskers gear ever since I was little. My uncle was a strength coach there with Epply back in the day when things really started up. My Grandfather was a state senator and they have had season tickets since the 60's or 70's I think.

Remember thanksgiving weekends and Christmas time bowl games. Remember Beringer, Crouch, Tommie, Aman, Phillips, peters, wistrom ( my uncle helped recruit him I believe), blackshirts, etc etc etc. too many great things. Wish I could have been alive or old enough to remember all the old time Oklahoma games.

Too many things made me a Husker. And now I get to pass that to my son. He's 2 now and has gear and decorations all over. In the hospital he had his cradle roll picture with Huskers stocking hat and The day I brought him home from the hospital we watched out first Huskers game together a day I will always remember. My wife has embraced out fanatical nature of Husker love.

Born bleeding Red and Red till dead.

Lunchbucket

I was born in Norfolk too. Only my cousin went to KSUcks.