Meet the New Nebraska

tmfr15

So Jerry Tagge is no longer a part of the Husker tradition?

Also, lets not rewrite history and say that Bill Callahan's offensive system didn't work here. In 2006 we had the #8 offense in the country with balanced passing/rushing. Zac Taylor did just fine as a pro style QB. And don't forget Ganz at the end of 07 and in 08 running Watsons/Callahans system. I'm not a Callahan apologist, but his offense wasn't the problem. TO said the same as a reason he asked Bo to keep Watson and Gilmore.

Agree 100%

+1

Also like the post by the OP, good summary of Nebraska through almost all of my adult life (other than the part mentioned above). It ended on a more positive spin then I though it would. Good post. Also +1

When Bill was hired ... a move was made away from the Husker tradition to something new, a passing offense and Lincoln as a blue chip destination. We all wanted to work, but it didn't, in part because we didn't have the talent for it at the time (no pro style QB, blocking WRs instead of ones who could run routes, an O-line that couldn't pass block... etc) and in part because our coach was someone without much experience as an HC at the pro level, let alone college.

Also, lets not rewrite history and say that Bill Callahan's offensive system didn't work here. In 2006 we had the #8 offense in the country with balanced passing/rushing. Zac Taylor did just fine as a pro style QB. And don't forget Ganz at the end of 07 and in 08 running Watsons/Callahans system. I'm not a Callahan apologist, but his offense wasn't the problem. TO said the same as a reason he asked Bo to keep Watson and Gilmore.

It was shown several times on here that most of the yards from that year and some others from the Callahan era were in garbage time or when we were down by several TDs and the game was far out of reach...

We are not going to get that 5 star pro style QB. I would rather have the serviceable 2 or 3 star guy who also has wheels to burn defenses on designed runs, or scrambles out of bounds on third downs picking up first downs. Kind of like what TA is with better short/medium accuracy.

A QB in todays world needs to be able to run an effective passing attack. That doesn't mean he needs to be able to pass the ball 40 times a game for 350 yards every game. He needs to be able to move the ball when needed through the air by hitting open receivers.

That gets you a decent offense. Now, put a QB in the game that can do that AND beat you with his legs and you have a deadly attack. Look at most of the most successful college QBs over the last 5-10 years and most of them have this combination.

I believe we have the talent in the stable right now to do that. We have Armstrong, Stanton, Bush, Darlington, Fyfe. One or two of those guys are going to develop over the next 12 months to be an effective passer. All of them are known to be athletic enough to beat you with their legs if needed.

I'm excited to see what they can do.

none are outstanding or true duel threats, but let's finally get them coached up and see what we have here......

Opinion made after having a coach that wasn't good at developing them.

At least Armstrong and Stanton were highly thought of players out of HS.

Agree 100%

+1

Also like the post by the OP, good summary of Nebraska through almost all of my adult life (other than the part mentioned above). It ended on a more positive spin then I though it would. Good post. Also +1

Imagine the 2006 offense with the 2009 defense. Hmmmm......

Agree 100%

+1

All Callahan had to do was retain Pelini as DC.

We've had the "what's our offensive identity?" conversation several times in the last few years.

I never thought our offensive identity was a problem. I'm not sure offensive identity is even a thing unless you're losing and frustrated.

But I do think teams develop identities, and the Nebraska dynasty we like to remember was built around linemen. Big ass linemen. Offense and defense. Winning in the trenches.

Forget the Heisman, Nebraska was busy churning out Lombardi and Outland candidates every year. Because of that rep, we had a pipeline to high school OL/DL talent and sent them into the NFL on the other end.

If you run first, you still have to pass. If you pass first, you still have to run. A good OL is required for both.

And the blackshirt tradition was a constant through all those quarterbacks and offensive variations.

Quarterback is the single most important position, but an offensive line that gives him an extra second and a defense that doesn't put him in a hole sure can make a QB look better.

• Fire 6

To me, Nebraska needs to have a "come to Jeseus" and get back to what really is good Nebraska football. Punishing offensive line. Power football. Multiple option sets. Play action pass out of those same sets. Blackshirt defense. Recruit speed. Recruits will be available for our unique system. That way we are not thrown in the same pool with everyone trying to get the prototypical QB. Football is simple. Sometimes it just comes down to a one on one matchup. Your commitment to a system is what makes it work or not.

I do agree that it all starts up front and that a power offense combined with play action is a great way to go. The one missing ingredient is Tom Osborne. That is not coming back. You could have the team run the exact same plays that TO ran and it wouldn't look the same because he is not calling the plays.

Also you can run an effective pro-set passing attack without running Bill Callahan's west coast offense. His passing offense was way too complicated. That is why it was hard to pick up. You need an incredibly smart composed QB to run that type of an offense in college. My preference would be to something similar to what Stanford or say Wisconsin does. They still have the zone read package in the game plan, but it is not the focus.

qb recruiting and development has been sorely lacking.........we need a serious upgrade in this area.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think you need an elite quarterback to win a conference championship or national title. But, you need one that's not going to turn the ball over and will make big plays for you in big moments. Nebraska hasn't had a quarterback that can do both of those things consistently for years, and it's been about 15 years since we had a quarterback anyone would classify as 'elite.'

Quarterback development will be key, but so will building an offensive line. Man, that was one of the biggest eye sores at Nebraska over the last decade. We had some really good talent and some above average lines, but not much. Our best offensive linemen in recent years was a former walk-on, and our linemen have been virtually non-existent in the NFL draft, which says something to me.

QB's and lineplay are just so critical.

When Bill was hired ... a move was made away from the Husker tradition to something new, a passing offense and Lincoln as a blue chip destination. We all wanted to work, but it didn't, in part because we didn't have the talent for it at the time (no pro style QB, blocking WRs instead of ones who could run routes, an O-line that couldn't pass block... etc) and in part because our coach was someone without much experience as an HC at the pro level, let alone college.

Let us not forget David Humm either, a lefty that went on to the NFL as a QB.

Or Vince Ferragamo, he led the Rams to the '79 Super Bowl vs the Steelers.

Someone beat me to it.

Edited by Elf

Agree 100%

+1

National title team, or at least contender.