Early Signing Period for Football?

Mavric

1/8 Caught up w/ MAC commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher for update on the committee studying if early signing period would be good for #CFB.

2/8 Committee has good mix of admin officials & coaches like @UKcoachbrooks, former #Auburn coach Gene Chizik, former #WF coach Jim Grobe

3/8 Other key names: Chad Hawley of #B1G, @bahostetter of #ACC, #TT AD @kirbyhocutt, #UGA AD @admcgarity & Bernard Muir (@Stanford_AD).

4/8 Steinbrecher says too early to say what direction group leaning but "clearly looking @ number diff. scenarios for early signing period."

5/8 Committee has talked to freshmen just went through recruiting process and plan to talk to HS & college coaches at @WeAreAFCA convention.

6/8 Steinbrecher hopes committee has recommendations by mid-Jan-early Feb. before passing to Collegiate Commissioners Association & @NCAA.

7/8 Don’t forget, the Collegiate Commissioners Association is the group that operates national letter-of-intent (@NLIinsider) program.

8/8 The @NCAA has indicated it would be willing to adjust rules of when a prospect could take official visit if CCA recommends early period.

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time since the Conference Commissioners Association formed a committee in June to look into whether an early signing period for college football would be a good thing, we have an idea of when that period might be.

On Tuesday at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Louisville, Susan Peal, NCAA associate director of operations who serves as a liaison between the collegiate governing body and the commissioners, revealed that the committee is leaning toward recommending a mid-December signing period. Peal said that window would likely coincide with the midyear junior college transfer signing date that occurs in the third week of December.
"Based on all of the feedback -- and there are all kinds of dates out there of what people want -- the most favorable option the committee has seen seems to be for an early signing day in December, something that's in line with the midyear junior college transfer signing date," Peal said.
"I'm not saying that's the only option out there, but it is the most favorable. The reason I'm saying that period is the most favorable is that coaches like their recruiting calendar. They like all the work that has been done so far by every subcommittee to get the recruiting calendar to where it is today, and they don't want to mess with that. A December date would have the most minimal impact to that recruiting calendar, so that's why that has been the one date that has come out."
The NCAA doesn't oversee when prospects can officially sign with institutions, and the national letter of intent program is governed by the CCA, a 32-member panel of Division I conference commissioners. The committee examining the early signing period is chaired by Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher and includes a mix of administrators such as Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt, Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity and Stanford athletic director Bernard Muir and former coaches Rich Brooks, Gene Chizik and Jim Grobe.

ESPN

December 16 is the recommendation - lasting for 72 hours. Starting with the 2016 class and lasting for two years before being reevaluated.

This is a good thing

I think it's a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it doesn't hurt the Huskers. We can't get a lot of official visitors during the season and now there is much less time to get them in after the season as there will be a lot of pressure to sign in that early period. REALLY need earlier visits to help out.

December 16 is the recommendation - lasting for 72 hours. Starting with the 2016 class and lasting for two years before being reevaluated.

This is a good thing

I think it's a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it doesn't hurt the Huskers. We can't get a lot of official visitors during the season and now there is much less time to get them in after the season as there will be a lot of pressure to sign in that early period. REALLY need earlier visits to help out.

This needs to be implemented in combination with allowing Jr's to have official visits the summer after their Jr year