OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Other than the innappropriate language nothing he said draws my ire. In fact, sounds like he cares about the guys a lot. I think he perceived more ill will from fans and staff than was really there. Ill forgive the guy for that. I dont know about SE's character in terms of helping others vs. helping self. Bo seems pretty selfless to me.

might care about the guys but says things very damaging about the university and basically tells players to think about transferring because it is a toxic place.
Sounds like a guy pissed about being fired. Not a total excuse for the language. The head coach at Nebraska needs to be held to a high standard, Bo was maybe not as composed as needed several times this included. Sometimes he acts more like a normal hothead than a 3 mill. Head Coach. But I do believe he is generally honest and cares about his players. Not sure how much he cared about the U or fans as a whole.

I know several staffers (whom I shall not throw under the bus) that say the same thing about Eichorst. Backhanded slimeball lawyer that doesn't talk to anyone.

Everyone should thank Bo for turning the program back in the right direction from the pederson-callahan debacle instead of bashing him.

The OWH had it out for Bo since he called out chatelain for negative reporting of a 19 year old. The easily media-influenced fans fell in with bashing and it gradually snowballed. Bo should have played the media and fans better, he definitely stoked his own fire. If he was more tactful, he could have had the fans on his side and against the OWH.

Anyway, now we are in what will be the eichorst-riley debacle. Anyone who thinks Mike Riley will lead us to championships is just fooling yourself. We won't be Nebraska until they (and likely Perlman) are gone. The start of another downturn for NE. Hopefully this one will only last a couple of years.

I will probably be called names for saying this but Good Luck Bo. I hope you and your family find happiness and are treated better than you have been treated here.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Youngstown_State_Penguins

Why do people who view other people differently than you do have to be bad? If two people watch one comedian, they might both laugh, one laugh one not, or both not laugh. If they differ it isn't because one is evil and one is good. It's because they are different people. It's a pretty common thread in our society today that people on opposite sides of an issue need to view that person as an enemy. We aren't enemies. We're neighbors. I like Bo. I liked him as Coach of NU. He wasn't perfect because he's a human. Everything he did wasn't shiny and awesome. I disagreed with the need to fire him. I also (for the most part) liked what he had to say to his players. He is a brusque and (from his worldview) very honest person. He seems to genuinely care for his players and look out for them.

If you disagree me I'm okay with that. It's your right. The way you were raised and / or live causes you to view people and the world differently than I do. You value different things in different ways. I'm going to assume you aren't evil even though you disagree with me. I'm not going to assume you're an idiot because you don't agree with my point. Do me a favor and attempt to view people on the opposite side of whatever issue-of-the-day we are talking about in the same light. Maybe take an extra 10 secs before hitting "Post" and make sure you aren't demonizing someone who doesn't agree with you.

I've already seen in 9 pages people called immoral, unethical, lunatics, idiot, etc etc. You really think I must have questionable morals because I don't think Bo Pelini is an a-hole? Really? Just take a breath before you post.

(deep breath)

I disagree.

It takes a lot of courage to be first.

• Fire 2

Why do people who view other people differently than you do have to be bad? If two people watch one comedian, they might both laugh, one laugh one not, or both not laugh. If they differ it isn't because one is evil and one is good. It's because they are different people. It's a pretty common thread in our society today that people on opposite sides of an issue need to view that person as an enemy. We aren't enemies. We're neighbors. I like Bo. I liked him as Coach of NU. He wasn't perfect because he's a human. Everything he did wasn't shiny and awesome. I disagreed with the need to fire him. I also (for the most part) liked what he had to say to his players. He is a brusque and (from his worldview) very honest person. He seems to genuinely care for his players and look out for them.

If you disagree me I'm okay with that. It's your right. The way you were raised and / or live causes you to view people and the world differently than I do. You value different things in different ways. I'm going to assume you aren't evil even though you disagree with me. I'm not going to assume you're an idiot because you don't agree with my point. Do me a favor and attempt to view people on the opposite side of whatever issue-of-the-day we are talking about in the same light. Maybe take an extra 10 secs before hitting "Post" and make sure you aren't demonizing someone who doesn't agree with you.

I've already seen in 9 pages people called immoral, unethical, lunatics, idiot, etc etc. You really think I must have questionable morals because I don't think Bo Pelini is an a-hole? Really? Just take a breath before you post.

Fair point, and one I try to live by. By the same token, in any professional setting this behavior is called unethical. So there is that.

I feel strongly about how people should conduct themselves in front of students. It is not a charge to take lightly, and you should avoid any controversial words or turn of phrase. Including coaches. I am a head high school coach, I do not throw F-Bombs around to my players.

I'm blown away that there's still anyone defending Bo at this point. It's honestly laughable.

Just look at the mere fact that instead of spending the last 30 minutes he'll ever have with this team telling them how much he appreciated them and wishing his players well, he instead spent it calling the AD a "c***" and making sure everyone knew that he (Bo) was right. That's all you need to know.

• Fire 4

I'm blown away that there's still anyone defending Bo at this point. It's honestly laughable.

Just look at the mere fact that instead of spending the last 30 minutes he'll ever have with this team telling them how much he appreciated them and wishing his players well, he instead spent it calling the AD a "c***" and making sure everyone knew that he (Bo) was right. That's all you need to know.

exactly.

exactly.

:wasted But why no +1? :dunno

exactly.

:wasted But why no +1? :dunno

He did tell his players he loved and appreciates them, he just tossed in a few f bombs and female genitalia references while talking about his old boss. But he did tell them he appreciated them.

We must have different world views. The "us against the world" mantra that Pelini instilled and created permeated the football program. This is not even debatable. Myself, and many others here, do not view this as a healthy world view. Particularly when the 'world'(fans and media) that he viewed as out to get him and the team, really wants to do nothing more than cheerlead for the football team and university. The environment that he created did nothing but make things very toxic around here the last couple of years.

Lol the man is gone and guys on this message board think trying to convince people online that Bo is a psychopath will somehow mean something.

After that transcript came out, this isn't a hard sell.

Listen, I've been among the most vocal supporters Bo's had for several years, even after the first tape came out. But how many times do you have to get punched by this guy before you disassociate yourself from him?

This is starting to look like Battered Wife Syndrome. No man who says what he said to those players deserves our support.

Late to respond to this but I felt I should. Im over him as my coach. He had a nice little 7 year run that had some ungodly rocky moments that he probably brought upon himself. I hope he does well at YSU, doesnt mean Im going to toss my Zac Lee jersey in the trash and become a die hard Penguin. I probably wont ever see a game he coaches at the school.

But I know people who know him personally. He isnt the monster everyone wants him to be. He is gone so the healing can begin. Problem is he dumped salt in the wound on the way out the door. Pretty unclassy thing to do for a guy who prides himself on morals and integrity. Tarnishes the little bit of legacy he had left. But still im not going to dwell on this final act of poor judgement on his part. I wont lose sleep over this, maybe about how Barney stumbles around coaching the bowl game, but not this.

Stupid is as stupid does, sir!

- Forrest Gump

I know people who know Bo personally, too. That doesn't change the fact that we have instance after instance after instance after instance after instance of Bo doing the kinds of things a "monster" (your word) does. This isn't the first, fifth, tenth time Bo has done something like this. It isn't the 100th, let's be honest. That speech wasn't given to that audience for the first time that night. The groundwork for that was laid years ago, both with players and coaches. He's said much the same thing to the assistant coaches (Kaczynski, et al). Bo fomented this "Us vs. Them" mentality years ago, before Eichorst was ever here, when the man who hired him was still his boss. He held a grudge against Perlman since his (and Carl's) meltdown at Texas A&M in 2009.

Bo even said in his rant the other night that he bunkered in. His words! This, after he told the players that he dared Eichorst to fire him last year, and when Eichorst didn't, Bo thought he the administration were "pussies." Bo's words, describing his own actions!

I don't care how good a man Bo is in one part of his life. I don't care that his kids love him and he's a good family man - that's great, but we didn't hire him to be a good family man. That's tertiary, expected behavior that never needs to be said at this level.

We hired Bo to run this football team effectively, and he has shown he cannot. He bunkered in, created an "Us vs. Them" mentality amongst the players and coaches, reinforced it time and again in press conferences and team meetings and shooting the breeze with the coaches. He fomented discord between the players and fans, team and administration, where everyone outside the walls of North Stadium (and above the second floor) were the enemy. That is not the behavior of a good man. It is NOT the behavior we expect from the Head Coach of the University of Nebraska Football Team. We deserve better than that - every fan of every single team out there deserves better than that.

So yeah, we need to let the healing begin. But that will not happen while we cling to these ideas that Bo was anything other than what he was - a man in way over his head, who sowed discord and mistrust, and who put a sporadic, often embarrassing team on the field.

And a guy who, even in his "healing" night with his players, could not point the thumb.

That is his legacy. Facing that will help us get past his era. Pretending it was something other than that will perpetuate the harms.

• Fire 5

Can we put an autamatic filter on this board for the phrase "at the end of the day"? I'd love to never see it again, and it is in this thread like a brazillion times.

That's not something that can happen immediately. It's a process and the forum administrators will have to execute at a high level for it to be accomplished. But they're a heckuva good group and I believe in them.

• Fire 2