OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Lol the man is gone and guys on this message board think trying to convince people online that Bo is a psychopath will somehow mean something.

bo is not gone. his effect continues. this hurts the program.

and bo has provided ample evidence with his behavior. you do not have to believe it, but i do not know how you could not.

and people still talk about nixon.

The point is the mans been fired, the crusade is over. I dont like how he threw a toxic bombshell onto the team before exiting but Im not terribly offended surprised or thrilled about it either way. The relationship between he and players was a firm one, their attitude about his firing wasnt going to be swayed much had he not said these things.

Its for the better he has been let go, but he isnt a lunatic or a psychopath. He is a stubborn and bull headed human being whose heart is bigger than his brain at times.

someone should tell bo that.

I think hes aware. He took a job in Youngstown I hear. The mans allowed to have an opinion and there are clearly people who want to hear his opinion and share it so people with apostrophes on message boards can react to it.

photo-thumb-11267.jpgWhere did this transcript come from? An athlete? Just curious.

Because the guy sporting the Scott Frost avatar wants to verify it's not just a rumor.

/ juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding around, man. LULZ :lol:

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha jokes on me hahahahahahaha

But seriously. It would have to come from a player, right? I mean who else was at this meeting?

Yes, it probably came from a player, but who really cares? Maybe it was Deep Throat.

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out what Bo said himself - even if you don't like one of your coaches, I think it's still an AD's job to communicate and not intentionally distance themselves. I've heard reports that Riley stayed at Eichorst's house even recently, perhaps when he came to meet with the players? I didn't expect Pelini and SE to bunk over, but, It's tough to do a good job when your boss isn't supporting you or trying to have honest discussions with you.

I'm all for differing personalities and management styles. If Pelini had won more here, his attitude and sideline behavior wouldn't have been an issue. Because he never won much of substance, it became an issue.

Still disappointed Bo went the direction he went with this. I think political correctness and saying the right things all the time can sometimes go too far, but, Pelini still has to be better than what he may have been in this last meeting with the players. First the audio tape and now this. Not wise from someone who wants to head a football program, even if he felt disrespected.

Let's think about the source for the idea that Eichorst and Eichorst alone is to blame. These are Bo's words, and what do we know of Bo?

That he went on an expletive-filled tirade after one of the most amazing comeback victories anyone has ever seen.

That he has been openly antagonistic with the media, often (but not always) unnecessarily.

That he has been too stubbornly belligerent to modify his schemes, so much so that Wisconsin utterly destroyed his defense, twice, with entirely different personnel on said defenses.

That he challenged his employer to fire him after a debacle of a loss, the umpteenth of his career, in front of a roomful of reporters.

That he again has gone on an expletive-filled tirade in which he blamed everyone but himself for the failures of his era, and that he did so to these players, overtly telling them that they could not trust the administration of the university, and that their future here was in doubt.

That's the source for the idea that Eichorst was in the wrong. The man who has been tilting at windmills for years.

That is not a credible source.

Very good points Knapp, but at the end of the day, if some of the facts are true that Eichorst didnt ever try to work through the initial issues with Bo, then he basically had decided to fire Bo before ever giving him a chance.

SE was Bo's boss and a good Boss tries his best to work through issues with employees before just firing them.

While i agree we cant believe everything Bo says, we need to weed through all the swearing and whining and look at some of the substance that SE had basically fired Bo long ago and refused to work through this to solve issues.

If Bo feels like the administration has his back it might not help us against wisconsin or Minnesota but it might help in the long run for this program.

At the end of the day, i think no matter what Bo wanted someone to blame for his failures and since SE is who fired him, he was the guy.

Still concerned with how SE treated Bo from day 1.

• Fire 1

Other than the innappropriate language nothing he said draws my ire. In fact, sounds like he cares about the guys a lot. I think he perceived more ill will from fans and staff than was really there. Ill forgive the guy for that. I dont know about SE's character in terms of helping others vs. helping self. Bo seems pretty selfless to me.

might care about the guys but says things very damaging about the university and basically tells players to think about transferring because it is a toxic place.

I don't think he is "telling the guys to transfer". Before this came out today, I was exchanging e-mails about the possible recording with a friend. I said "Bo probably told them, 'It's up to you guys if you want to stay. You have to do what's best for you and your situation." That's what Bo is saying in this talk to the players.

He spends 5 minutes talking about how he thought this place would give him a heart attack and how the administration is a joke.. He almost resigned but he stayed for his players because he thought they needed him.

Then he goes on to tell them to think it through and do what is best for you.

IF you just had a guy many consider a father figure tell you the place almost gave him a heart attack and the administration was effed... and then he tells you to think it through on what you want to do.. wouldnt you be concerned?

Yeah, I would probably be concerned, but I would also think about what's best for myself. If I am in my 3rd or 4th year, I am probably thinking of sticking it out, graduating, and call it good. If I am in my 1st or 2nd year, I think "well, I didn't play much under Bo. This new guy seems pretty nice. It's probably worth my time to stick around and see what I can do here. I have made good friends at UNL, and have a good start on my degree. It is probably not the best thing to transfer right now."

Will all guys think that way, probably not. But, I the vast majority of players will stick around at the school.

But seriously. It would have to come from a player, right? I mean who else was at this meeting?

Rumor has it that it was Courtney Love since he's likely to leave. But I suspect that's just a rumor and no one really knows the source. Yet.

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out what Bo said himself - even if you don't like one of your coaches, I think it's still an AD's job to communicate and not intentionally distance themselves. I've heard reports that Riley stayed at Eichorst's house even recently, perhaps when he came to meet with the players? I didn't expect Pelini and SE to bunk over, but, It's tough to do a good job when your boss isn't supporting you or trying to have honest discussions with you.

I'm all for differing personalities and management styles. If Pelini had won more here, his attitude and sideline behavior wouldn't have been an issue. Because he never won much of substance, it became an issue.

Still disappointed Bo went the direction he went with this. I think political correctness and saying the right things all the time can sometimes go too far, but, Pelini still has to be better than what he may have been in this last meeting with the players. First the audio tape and now this. Not wise from someone who wants to head a football program, even if he felt disrespected.

Let's think about the source for the idea that Eichorst and Eichorst alone is to blame. These are Bo's words, and what do we know of Bo?

That he went on an expletive-filled tirade after one of the most amazing comeback victories anyone has ever seen.

That he has been openly antagonistic with the media, often (but not always) unnecessarily.

That he has been too stubbornly belligerent to modify his schemes, so much so that Wisconsin utterly destroyed his defense, twice, with entirely different personnel on said defenses.

That he challenged his employer to fire him after a debacle of a loss, the umpteenth of his career, in front of a roomful of reporters.

That he again has gone on an expletive-filled tirade in which he blamed everyone but himself for the failures of his era, and that he did so to these players, overtly telling them that they could not trust the administration of the university, and that their future here was in doubt.

That's the source for the idea that Eichorst was in the wrong. The man who has been tilting at windmills for years.

That is not a credible source.

Very good points Knapp, but at the end of the day, if some of the facts are true that Eichorst didnt ever try to work through the initial issues with Bo, then he basically had decided to fire Bo before ever giving him a chance.

SE was Bo's boss and a good Boss tries his best to work through issues with employees before just firing them.

While i agree we cant believe everything Bo says, we need to weed through all the swearing and whining and look at some of the substance that SE had basically fired Bo long ago and refused to work through this to solve issues.

If Bo feels like the administration has his back it might not help us against wisconsin or Minnesota but it might help in the long run for this program.

At the end of the day, i think no matter what Bo wanted someone to blame for his failures and since SE is who fired him, he was the guy.

Still concerned with how SE treated Bo from day 1.

If some of the facts are true? You're already assuming they're true by calling them facts. You're lending credence to a nutbar's words. We have no idea if there's any substance. We have no idea how SE really treated him. There were problems with Bo when TO was the AD. How do you not see the one consistent link there? It's Bo.

• Fire 4

Bo was all about Bo in this entire rant. Very little did he speak about anyone but himself and how bad he had it. Victim mentality.

That's the greatest shame in all of this. You have those kids' backs all these years, they trust you and look up to you. Here's a chance to help them along, to truly not make it about you.

I have to agree with the characterization of this as manipulative. That's exactly what it is.

Exactly...he was running this team like a cult, and they didn't even realize it was happening. He had totally turned them against the media, the administration, and most importantly the fans. It's unfortunate that Osborne didn't have the guts to terminate Pelini when he had the original leaked tape back in 2011. This guy is a total maniac, and always has been. I really feel for his wife and kids as this isn't something that just stops at the office. He has serious mental/anger issues.

Are there still any Bo-lievers out there?

• Fire 1

Obviously what Bo said and how he felt the need to say it speaks loads about Bo and his butt-hurt ways.

I actually like Bo as a man, and dont think his intent was to try and burn the university down.. I think it was to tell the players what he actually thought and why things happened the way they did. He thinks the University of Nebraska with Shawn Eichhorst in command is a burning ship and is worried for his players.

The main problem is that the players only deal with the coaches, and therefore what Eichhorst does or who he is really doesnt affect them in the short run.

This all being said, I have major concerns with SE. He strikes me as the type of boss many people dislike. A yes-man who will lie to your face because he is to Chicken-S to tell you the truth.

Right or wrong, i am concerned if we have a leader who only saw a guy he just fired 7-8 times for 20 minutes all year. I have seen my boss for more than 20 minutes today alone.

Bo was a problem... I get he had to go and dont have an issue with him being fired. He didnt win the games that mattered... was time to move on.

But that being said, he brings light to a serious problem of who is now in charge.

Bullsh#t! The only thing this brings to light is a more full picture of how absolutely delusional Bo Pelini is/was. Please tell me nobody puts an ounce of faith in what this douchebag has to say about anything at this point. How can a person possibly read/hear all the things this f&%kstick has said and done and then think he might have a point about something. The guy is a classless dick and nothing he says should be granted any viability. Period.

• Fire 7

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

My new signature.

What is funny about this comment to me (and this is 100% something i just heard from a friend and don't necessarily believe it to be real) but a friend of mine claimed he saw Pelini at McDonalds berating a Mcdonald's employee in much the same way he berates officials over messing up his order, supposedly saying stuff like "this is why you work here."

This article puts me in a great place as a Husker fan.

It is clear that Bo processes almost no skills when it comes to leadership. When it comes to running a huge organization that is fueled by kids that are still developing into mature adults, the issues with the program start to make sense.

I feel like this this program has already turned the corner. Good luck coach Pelini. We are moving on.

Was Bo and Eichorst's relationship the best thing? Probably not. I am sure Eichorst could have handled things "better", but it probably didn't take him long to realize that "I can't really work with Bo long-term, Bo isn't going to like anything I do." So, he let Bo do just poorly enough to get fired. Then when Bo's true feelings get released to the media, Eichorst can then say "See why I fired him?? He can't be a leader of young men at the University of Nebraska."

• Fire 1

One other disappointing thing I forgot to mention is the fact Bo attempted to oust Eichorst by going to the BoR. Again, it's another example of how messed up the Regents had become under Pelini. Individuals had become too close with Pelini, and each time he had a problem, he attempted to use his friendships to improve his situation. It's part of the reason why Bo very rarely had to answer to anyone but himself.

When certain BoR members made mention that they do not control the hiring and firing of coaches, I had to laugh a little. Hearing Bo admit he ran to them when he thought he was in trouble only solidifies how full of it those board members are.

While guys like Clare, Schroeder, Schafer, and Hawks are terrific donors to the University, I think it may be past time to separate their influence as a booster, from their true influence as a Regent member.