OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Talked to a couple of co-workers today, one is a Husker fan (with no connection to the University or Nebraska), the other is a basketball coach.

The Husker fan pretty much applauded Bo for saying things that needed to be said. The Bball coach thought the whole thing was amusing.

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Wtf? Edit.

Huh?

I tried to link these two things but somewhere along the lines I screwed it up. Check this stuff out if you've got time. It's worth the listen IMO. Especially when McKewon makes the point about Bo never wanting Eichorst around the team in the first place. You can't win with a guy like Bo, both literally and figuratively.

Wtf? Edit.

Huh?

I tried to link these two things but somewhere along the lines I screwed it up. Check this stuff out if you've got time. It's worth the listen IMO. Especially when McKewon makes the point about Bo never wanting Eichorst around the team in the first place. You can't win with a guy like Bo, both literally and figuratively.

That irony was not lost on me. Bo's biggest gripe with Eichorst seemed to be the perception that Eichorst didn't like Bo from the get go, yet Bo later says how he knew right away that Eichorst was a "c***" and "p*****." Bo is the guy who burns down your house and then gets mad at your reaction.

• Fire 5

Wtf? Edit.

Huh?

Exactly. Bo used whatever explanation was convenient to make himself come off as the hero. If Eichorst had been around the team more, Bo would have accused him of micromanaging.

• Fire 2

One other disappointing thing I forgot to mention is the fact Bo attempted to oust Eichorst by going to the BoR. Again, it's another example of how messed up the Regents had become under Pelini.

Per Sam McKewon, this is not accurate. The Deadspin transcript said one thing, the OWH transcript said another. Given that the OWH actually had a tape, listened to it, and are making this point, I would go with them.

It is very interesting, though, the idea that Bo wishes Shawn had been more involved in his life. Maybe told him what to do a little more. Yeah, I can see how that would have gone over so well with Bo.

What staggers me is that Bo could have so easily taken the high road. Not just because it's the class thing to do. Want to make the university look bad? Be a saint. Exit the right way. Let your players be the guys about whom people will say, "The next coach just won with Bo's recruits" by giving them the best possible messages. Be above any possible reproach. But goodness. He can't help himself.

Maybe Bo doesn't want the recruits to be successful under Riley. Maybe he wants them to fail in a sense so as to not shed any further light on how incapable he is/was to win at least a conference championship with his own recruits. Im not saying I necessarily believe this but rather see it as a possibility.

No, I don't think Bo is evil. I think Bo is just vindictive, and he feels genuinely wronged by Eichorst.

Just like he (supposedly) didn't like TO for being too hands on. And just like he had those "FU SP" gloves. It's like knapplc says (about moderating forums): if everyone is the problem, maybe it's not everyone that's really the problem.

Doesnt anyone remember the reports about Be being unhappy about the Eichorst hire over two years ago? How Bo was the only coach who didnt attend the introductory press conference. How it had come down the vine that for some reason Bo wasnt consulted at all on the hire before hand and that Osborne hadnt been either? I just......as time goes by and I continue to process his gripes, I just dont think he has a case in any way shape or form. He contradicted himself so many times in that speech. BO PELINI is the one that never gave an Eichorst relationship a chance. And through all of that, what was stopping Bo himself from poppin in to Shawn's office, going over a few things, tellin him straight up "hey man, we'd really appreciate a statement of support. it would go a long ways in helping us out." Whatever lines of communication were non-existant, to me, it's just as much on Bo as it is on Eichosrt.

Now, last night I listened to the Sharp/Benning podcast. Didnt get a chance to hear it live. And I may be in the wrong on this sentiment, but I've never heard such a damn thing, and in my opinion, it's just mind boggling. Segment 1, right at 2 minutes in. Sharp and Benning go on to talk about how that meeting resembled phone calls they had received from Bo about a point they had made. Benning says "you talkin bout when he called me?", and Sharp say, "oh no, I've received one of them too". And they discribe how the calls start out as a cuss filled rant, then into a normal conversation, and then a nice cordial goodbye. To me, this is just sickening. I mean....c'mon. Is this normal practice? A coach calling media trying to control messages? I dont even know what the points were that lead to them, but does that even matter? To me, it says all there needs to be said about Bo's handling of things. You wonder how many times he called Dirk, Shatel, McKewon and the bunch. I mean, it's not like he's calling Davison or Greg Sharp and controlling a message he can control at the network. He called guys in Omaha with technically no ties to the program and the freedom to say what they want. Bo crumbled bigtime under the pressure of this job. You just cant allow the outside noise to penetrate the team like that. No wonder we've been so up and down and mentally soft. No wonder the media, especially the Omaha bunch, had a tendancy to push his buttons.

• Fire 1

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

I agree about liking Bo more from this, I know that's not popular...and I am glad he's gone, but still nice to see someone who doesn't just do the "company" good-bye and act like everything was fine. Why do we have to be so "PC" all the time, it's like everyone freaks out when someone speaks their mind. If he was working at McDonalds and left that job with a rant like this, we would all say "good job" but when it's a university position and comes with a million dollar salary everyone thinks he has to act a certain way...I like his passion.
Big difference between passion and being a childish jerk off who had the support of one of the most loyal fan bases in the country even after he crapped on us by calling us fair weather and telling us to f ourselves.
Had the support of one of the most loyal fan base? You must be joking. There was a clear divide. (and for the last time, he wasn't refering to all fans in the quote you mention).

How bad of a coach are you if you can't win unless 100% of the fan base supports you?

And which came first: The poor performances (on and off the field) or the erosion of fan support?

Again, what you Bolievers don't get is that it that your theory rests on the ridiculous proposition that half the fan base and the media and the administration arbitrarily and coincidentally all woke up one morning and decided to hate on Bo for no good reason, and that this spontaneous, widespread disdain for Bo manifested as poor results on the field that would not have otherwise occurred. It's truly insane.

Except that's not what I believe (and i doubt anyone believes). I just dont think it's easy to consistently win national championships, and that going 9-3 isn't the end of the world. Most fan bases would be good with having no less then 9 wins in each of the past 7 years. Look at Michigan, Florida, Texas, Usc, miami, etc. and compare how they have performed over that same period. Do you think they don't want to win? The point is its hard.

Yes, a lot of those loses hurt. Hurt bad (especially the ones against Wisconsin). But each of those teams also had tough losses. Look at Wisconsin on the championship game this year vs a third string QB with no real prior experience. 59-0. You don't think that hurt the fans of Wisconsin? That's the point.

I'm glad you brought up Wisconsin. How many CCGs has that program won over the past few years? How many Rose Bowl appearances? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michigan play in the Sugar Bowl during Hoke's tenure? Did Mack Brown play for a couple national titles and win one on the way?

Sure the blowout losses happen. But for most coaches, they are offset by championships or other tangible barometers of success. For Bo, there was nothing to offset those games. And the blowouts kept coming. Wisconsin's had one epic Pelini-style meltdown in the how long? Pelini was good for at least one a year.

Literally the only thing you could say about him is 9 wins. But at what cost? I would gladly take 10 straight 8-4 seasons if it meant no more than a rare blowout and, more importantly, a head coach that doesn't act like a complete asshat.

You are selectively pointing out things to highlight your point. I could easily do the same and show you substantially more heart ache for the teams I mentioned above.

I'll wait. Also, I'm not sure what point you think you're making (going to make?) with Michigan and Florida, both of whom just fired their coach.

I will say that the one thing you do have going for you is the way Bo was snatched up by an elite Division 1, "Power 5" program that couldn't believe Nebraska turned him loose so they could snatch him up. I'll admit that is a sticking point for my argument.

+1 I was about to respond the same way before reading your response. Neither Michigan nor Florida gave him a look. Not a real one at least. I'd be interested to know what teams contacted his agent at all.

I'll quote the announcers from the T A&M game a few years back when Bo was melting down epic style. "If you are going to act like this you had better win championships."

It leaves me scratching my head why people are coming out saying they don't trust Shawn Eichorst. Really, what has he done to not have your trust? Repeatedly, we have witnessed Bo not controlling his temper. We have heard one audio tape already of him having absolutely no respect for the fans and administration to the point of him being an immature idiot.

So.....Shawn fires him and all of a sudden we shouldn't trust him?

That makes no sense to me.

I'm scratching my head why people think SE is trustworthy. A good potion of what he has said is lies (see my prior posts and others if you want more detailed break down of why we don't trust him). Firing a coach that has never won less then 9 games in every year he coached and replacing him with one who went 5-7 doesnt make sense to me.

I'm struggling to find posts where someone gave factual information on why I should not trust Eichorst. Can you list the post numbers so I can go back and read them?

• Fire 1

One other disappointing thing I forgot to mention is the fact Bo attempted to oust Eichorst by going to the BoR. Again, it's another example of how messed up the Regents had become under Pelini.

Per Sam McKewon, this is not accurate. The Deadspin transcript said one thing, the OWH transcript said another. Given that the OWH actually had a tape, listened to it, and are making this point, I would go with them.

It is very interesting, though, the idea that Bo wishes Shawn had been more involved in his life. Maybe told him what to do a little more. Yeah, I can see how that would have gone over so well with Bo.

What staggers me is that Bo could have so easily taken the high road. Not just because it's the class thing to do. Want to make the university look bad? Be a saint. Exit the right way. Let your players be the guys about whom people will say, "The next coach just won with Bo's recruits" by giving them the best possible messages. Be above any possible reproach. But goodness. He can't help himself.

Maybe Bo doesn't want the recruits to be successful under Riley. Maybe he wants them to fail in a sense so as to not shed any further light on how incapable he is/was to win at least a conference championship with his own recruits. Im not saying I necessarily believe this but rather see it as a possibility.

Bo's biggest fear is an unknown coach (Riley) taking over and winning the BIG in his first year.