OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

This, for me, is the worst of the rants. Because it is so pathetic and childish in nature, and the heat of the moment had passed.

That was the time to be a man. A time to say "Now, I don't agree with the AD's decision, but, I respect it, and I respect him, and I respect this program, so I'll abide by it."

^^This.

Most disappointing part about this is that most of the reason I supported him was that I thought he was genuinely a nice guy with a temper... Said some pretty unforgiving things.

^^And this.

I supported Bo as loyally as anyone before he was fired. Probly way more than I should have. But with this little childish tirade Bo has proven beyond any doubt that he is an ill tempered, childish douchenozzle. f#*k him and the horse he rode in on. :facepalm:

• Fire 2

I posted this in the other thread on this topic

This thing is about power.

When you enter a position of power that was not self-created, it is difficult to manage people who were a product of a previous administration.

I have been in the position myself.

Bo Pelini was Tom Osborne's guy, who fully supported and related to him in a certain way. They had a working relationship and mutual understanding and expectations.

Enter Shawn Eichorst, who only has nominal authority over Pelini because again, he is Tom Osborne's guy. Eichorst is uncomfortable because he was basically handed the keys to a rental building where the tenants have different rules and expectations that he does.

Solution? Get rid of the tenants from the old landlord and fill it with the new ones, who agree to the same rules, so that there is no question about authority.

But how? Politics. Eichorst waited until public sentiment for Pelini was low and then took his chance.

FWIW this is a normal procedure, I expect him to have a great relationship with Mike Riley, because now he has his guy. And I expect him to have one with the players he recruits as well.

It is also to be expected that Pelini is bitter and he will embitter his players toward the AD.

This stuff happens all the time.

Edit- the tricky part is for Mike Riley, who has do clean up after this and deal with some of the embittered players.

That is a hard job. He will have a new staff, so that helps. It will be best if he doesnt hire the existing coaches. I really hope they can come together and play great. I figured that it would take a couple years for the Huskers to rise to prominence again, but now I think it will take about 3 or 4. GBR!

• Fire 1

I agree with what someone said on 1620 a little bit ago.

This tells one heck of a lot about his character. Bo could have taken this meeting to have a chance to thank the players. He could have spoken to them personally and told them how special they are. He could have encouraged them to continue being the best they could be.

What did he do??? He made it all about him. It was all about how he got screwed. It was all about trying to make the entire team be against Nebraska and the administration. He wanted to take one last opportunity to make this team worse off without him.

Unbelievable.

• Fire 7

Revoke this man's buyout in violation of a disparagement and anti-compete clause.

I hope you don't give legal advice.

There is not a non-disparagement clause in Bo Pelini’s contract w/Nebraska that can affect his buyout.

as someone who gives legal advice, i highly recommend whoever is drafting bo's contract at YSU to put a non-disparaging clause in his new contract. it is like a "get out of buyout free" care.

I understand what Pelini is saying, though, I don't agree with the way he went about saying it. I think this shows, in my opinion, Pelini never really fully grasped what it meant to be the Husker's head football coach. You have to understand this job is under constant scrutiny and demands a certain level of performance. I think this job started to wear on him before Eichorst even got here, but, that Eichorst's leadership (or lack there of) certainly didn't help the matter. Regardless, I don't think it's appropriate to go in front of all your players, some of whom will be here for years to come, and alienate them in this way. Perhaps that was Pelini's intent, and if it was, that's very disheartening.

Bo, you had/have a lot of supporters in Nebraska. I for one still want to see you succeed and see you do well in your career. But, this type of dialogue is not befitting of someone who wants to be a head coach at any level, really. I think this transcript also supports the idea that Pelini fostered an 'us against the world' mentality, which is toxic and may have caused a lot of the inconsistent performances around here.

Eichorst needs to hear, and I mean really hear, what Pelini is saying, because Pelini is right. You can't lead from under a rock. You can't be the boss of an organization and not consistently sit down and meet with your managers, or in this case coaches, and expect things to go well. I think Eichorst needs to better foster and develop a relationship with Riley as well as the other coaches, whether he hired them or not.

Overall, very disappointed in both Pelini and Eichorst here. But, I do feel for Pelini and think he wasn't necessarily dealt the best hand from an administrative level.

• Fire 4