Looks like Banker is the DC

We know how hiring your buddies turns out...

Hope this one works out.

You really don't know actually, and Nebraska fans are showing their inexperience.

Yes Cosgrove-Callahan was a crapfest. Papuchis-Pelini was even worse. But really, every coach does this. You bring guys your familiar with. Why? Because they know your system, they know what you do. They know you. It makes the transition and the teaching streamlined.

We have some bad examples in our recent history that's all. Not every coaching change has to work out the way those did. Those guys were mistakes. This one could prove to be the right one. If not....we'll do this all again til we get it right. It might be something you'll have to get used to, but I hope not.

If anything, him being new to the B1G will buy him some time to surprise a few teams. My worry would be that like Pelini, once figured out via experience, game film, etc..that they'll get eaten alive. Hopefully he can coach a few counter punches.

Honestly I'm not surprised one bit that he's hiring his previous staff. Continuity and familiarity are really important see: Carl, Pap, sanders/warren/Joseph, Kaz, and all those coaches who were in and out over the years.

It gives me confidence to think he believes in his system and identity. It scares me because I don't know what that identity and system are.

• Fire 1

If anything, him being new to the B1G will buy him some time to surprise a few teams. My worry would be that like Pelini, once figured out via experience, game film, etc.. Hopefully he can coach a few counter punches.

Honestly I'm surprised one bit that he's hiring his previous staff. Continuity and familiarity are really important see: Carl, Pap, sanders/warren/Joseph, Kaz, and all those coaches who were in and out over the years.

It gives me confidence to think he believes in his system and identity. It scares me because I don't know what that identity and system are.

When Banker had the talent and players his defenses played smart assignment football and fundamentals.This is something we haven't seen IMO since 2009. Since then we've seen busts, poor tackling, players way out of position and an overall lack of team speed. Too many times the D got out coached. 2009 was the year our defense was loaded with talent. Now, at Nebraska there should be no excuse for shortage of talent. It's there. Right now. I think Banker will coach the players up and preach fundamentals, assignments, etc. Rather than read and react passively, we will attack aggressively and think on the fly. I saw some of that in some OSU highlights.

Hope this one works out.

You really don't know actually, and Nebraska fans are showing their inexperience.

Yes Cosgrove-Callahan was a crapfest. Papuchis-Pelini was even worse. But really, every coach does this. You bring guys your familiar with. Why? Because they know your system, they know what you do. They know you. It makes the transition and the teaching streamlined.

We have some bad examples in our recent history that's all. Not every coaching change has to work out the way those did. Those guys were mistakes. This one could prove to be the right one. If not....we'll do this all again til we get it right. It might be something you'll have to get used to, but I hope not.

You might be right, but damn if we don't have a right to be leery of HCs that just go with their old standby. I'd be cool with it if the Riley/Banker combo was killing it in Corvallis. But they didn't. Not even close. That means that the only difference between mediocre results in Corvallis and the elite defense we crave is going to have to come down to vastly superior talent at Nebraska. That's asking a lot of our recruiting.

Just a forwarning True. Banker has a hefty track record of spill technique too.

But the way he does it is more aggression and more 1 gap penetration.

I like penetration.

My fear is that Riley's selection of Banker is motivated by a sense of "loyalty" and not wanting to be the dick who leaves his buddies behind. Getting a promotion and hiring new assistants instead of the ones you were with before is basically saying, "Yeah, you're not good enough." That would be hard to do. I hope Riley didn't subordinate the program's best interests just because he didn't want to have to hurt anyone's feelings.

i hope riley sees this as his best, last chance to do something big, rather than an experiment to see if his systems and people work at a better program. and it could be a little of both.

Hope this one works out.

You might be right, but damn if we don't have a right to be leery of HCs that just go with their old standby. I'd be cool with it if the Riley/Banker combo was killing it in Corvallis. But they didn't. Not even close. That means that the only difference between mediocre results in Corvallis and the elite defense we crave is going to have to come down to vastly superior talent at Nebraska. That's asking a lot of our recruiting.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Thanks for the info Count. I'm gonna get around to watching more Oregon St. football when I have more time. I've liked what I've seen offensively so far, but not educated much on the defense.

Any more insight would be awesome from anyone who has any. It'd be great to understand why some don't like Banker, I'm all ears. You know, instead of just saying you don't like him because bitching seems to be the "in" thing.

This isnt what i hoped for. Orgeron would have been a bigger get for recruiting and it would have made a good impression that we are building a powerful unit. This feels.....meh. Hope the increase in talent makes up for the lack of name valur.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is pounding down Orgeron's door. I don't know why, but maybe there's a reason for it. UNLV hired a high school coach instead of Orgeron.

• Fire 1

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Thanks for the info Count. I'm gonna get around to watching more Oregon St. football when I have more time. I've liked what I've seen offensively so far, but not educated much on the defense.

Any more insight would be awesome from anyone who has any. It'd be great to understand why some don't like Banker, I'm all ears. You know, instead of just saying you don't like him because bitching seems to be the "in" thing.

Can't speak for others, but my concern is that Banker is not enough of a "splash" hire to overcome the giant "Meh" burger that was the Riley hiring.

All that anyone says about Riley is that he's a "nice guy." That's great and "nice guy" will do wonders to help repair the fractures in the program, but "nice guy" isn't necessarily going to win championships or bring 4* and 5* recruits to Lincoln in droves. Now, "nice guy" CEO head coach paired with elite coordinators? Now you've got something!

But when you pair "Meh, nice guy" head coach with "Who?" coordinators, I'm worried. When that "Who?" defensive coordinator wouldn't have gotten the job but for his having ridden the "Meh, nice guy's" coattails for the last 20 years, I start to feel like I've seen this movie before.

• Fire 2

I don't care about a splash hire, but his recent production is pretty poor. I know the excuse is that Oregon State doesn't have the talent, but the reality is that they still get a bunch of three-star guys. Their classes aren't great but they haven't been terrible either. This year he took a whole defense basically full of three stars and finished 76th in total D and 95th in scoring D.

This isnt what i hoped for. Orgeron would have been a bigger get for recruiting and it would have made a good impression that we are building a powerful unit. This feels.....meh. Hope the increase in talent makes up for the lack of name valur.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is pounding down Orgeron's door. I don't know why, but maybe there's a reason for it. UNLV hired a high school coach instead of Orgeron.

I don't get that either.. He's one Heck of a recruiter... As a Coach I'm not sure, but it's not real difficult when you've got the Johnny's and Joe's!