Looks like Banker is the DC

We know how hiring your buddies turns out...

Hope this one works out.

You really don't know actually, and Nebraska fans are showing their inexperience.

Yes Cosgrove-Callahan was a crapfest. Papuchis-Pelini was even worse. But really, every coach does this. You bring guys your familiar with. Why? Because they know your system, they know what you do. They know you. It makes the transition and the teaching streamlined.

We have some bad examples in our recent history that's all. Not every coaching change has to work out the way those did. Those guys were mistakes. This one could prove to be the right one. If not....we'll do this all again til we get it right. It might be something you'll have to get used to, but I hope not.

You might be right, but damn if we don't have a right to be leery of HCs that just go with their old standby. I'd be cool with it if the Riley/Banker combo was killing it in Corvallis. But they didn't. Not even close. That means that the only difference between mediocre results in Corvallis and the elite defense we crave is going to have to come down to vastly superior talent at Nebraska. That's asking a lot of our recruiting.

Just a forwarning True. Banker has a hefty track record of spill technique too.

But the way he does it is more aggression and more 1 gap penetration.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Thanks for the info Count. I'm gonna get around to watching more Oregon St. football when I have more time. I've liked what I've seen offensively so far, but not educated much on the defense.

Any more insight would be awesome from anyone who has any. It'd be great to understand why some don't like Banker, I'm all ears. You know, instead of just saying you don't like him because bitching seems to be the "in" thing.

Can't speak for others, but my concern is that Banker is not enough of a "splash" hire to overcome the giant "Meh" burger that was the Riley hiring.

All that anyone says about Riley is that he's a "nice guy." That's great and "nice guy" will do wonders to help repair the fractures in the program, but "nice guy" isn't necessarily going to win championships or bring 4* and 5* recruits to Lincoln in droves. Now, "nice guy" CEO head coach paired with elite coordinators? Now you've got something!

But when you pair "Meh, nice guy" head coach with "Who?" coordinators, I'm worried. When that "Who?" defensive coordinator wouldn't have gotten the job but for his having ridden the "Meh, nice guy's" coattails for the last 20 years, I start to feel like I've seen this movie before.

why dont go ahead and put together a list of "non-meh" coordinators that riley shouldve hired.

This isnt what i hoped for. Orgeron would have been a bigger get for recruiting and it would have made a good impression that we are building a powerful unit. This feels.....meh. Hope the increase in talent makes up for the lack of name valur.

Oregeron has never been a defensive coordinator
I get that but the name value is there and he has s plenty of experience to take that step up as a position. And the recruiting bump would have been great.

I don't know much about Banker other than once in a while the stars would align and he would have some guys who could do what he wanted. At least he has experience and a lot of it. I'm not gonna write him off by any means, just not what I expected I guess. If he is as good as the experience suggests why wasn't he lured to another school the moment Riley was announced here?

The OC position needs to be a splash for this to have the national impact we hoped for but I assume another guy he has experience with gets the gig. Chemistry is important but I'm hoping for a big hire.

Hope this one works out.

You really don't know actually, and Nebraska fans are showing their inexperience.

Yes Cosgrove-Callahan was a crapfest. Papuchis-Pelini was even worse. But really, every coach does this. You bring guys your familiar with. Why? Because they know your system, they know what you do. They know you. It makes the transition and the teaching streamlined.

We have some bad examples in our recent history that's all. Not every coaching change has to work out the way those did. Those guys were mistakes. This one could prove to be the right one. If not....we'll do this all again til we get it right. It might be something you'll have to get used to, but I hope not.

You might be right, but damn if we don't have a right to be leery of HCs that just go with their old standby. I'd be cool with it if the Riley/Banker combo was killing it in Corvallis. But they didn't. Not even close. That means that the only difference between mediocre results in Corvallis and the elite defense we crave is going to have to come down to vastly superior talent at Nebraska. That's asking a lot of our recruiting.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Thanks for the info Count. I'm gonna get around to watching more Oregon St. football when I have more time. I've liked what I've seen offensively so far, but not educated much on the defense.

Any more insight would be awesome from anyone who has any. It'd be great to understand why some don't like Banker, I'm all ears. You know, instead of just saying you don't like him because bitching seems to be the "in" thing.

Can't speak for others, but my concern is that Banker is not enough of a "splash" hire to overcome the giant "Meh" burger that was the Riley hiring.

All that anyone says about Riley is that he's a "nice guy." That's great and "nice guy" will do wonders to help repair the fractures in the program, but "nice guy" isn't necessarily going to win championships or bring 4* and 5* recruits to Lincoln in droves. Now, "nice guy" CEO head coach paired with elite coordinators? Now you've got something!

But when you pair "Meh, nice guy" head coach with "Who?" coordinators, I'm worried. When that "Who?" defensive coordinator wouldn't have gotten the job but for his having ridden the "Meh, nice guy's" coattails for the last 20 years, I start to feel like I've seen this movie before.

why dont go ahead and put together a list of "non-meh" coordinators that riley shouldve hired.

While I get what you are saying/doing, that is Riley's job...

You want some magical list where you can either tear apart some of the names, say there is no way they would come to NU or possibly say that one or two of the names would be a good idea.

The fact of the matter is, it is Riley's job to find/offer/get the best guys he can, not ours. Now, he may very well have gotten the best, time will tell. But it does seem just a little "odd" that a guy with 30 plus years of coaching experience who said he was thrilled about this new job because it was he last chance to make a run, would not pull out all the stops and call all the connections he has made...

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

You want some magical list where you can either tear apart some of the names, say there is no way they would come to NU or possibly say that one or two of the names would be a good idea.

The fact of the matter is, it is Riley's job to find/offer/get the best guys he can, not ours. Now, he may very well have gotten the best, time will tell. But it does seem just a little "odd" that a guy with 30 plus years of coaching experience who said he was thrilled about this new job because it was he last chance to make a run, would not pull out all the stops and call all the connections he has made...

Do you have the scoop on who Riley called and didn't call?

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Now I'm not trying to be a snob. The point I'm making is that what qualified as a big name coordinator? Or a "non-meh" coordinator. Like you said yourself, maybe Banker is that guy. And we still have 5 spots to fill folks. There could be some big names in there. But chances are, it's gonna be guys none of us have ever heard of before. How many people outside of Nebraska knew who George darlington was? Milt Tenopir? Dan young? I mean, c'mon. We're at this Tressel sh#t again, where anything short of Orgeron and Frost is going to lead to massive dissappointment and contiued apathy. I just dont agree with writing off the new bunch just because we've never heard of them and we go back nitpicking their record and numbers. Doesnt seem to be any subjectivity in the analysis of these guys. And you cant just go around getting guys just for their name and abilities. There has to be some sort of comfort level and "get along".

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Do you have the scoop on who Riley called and didn't call?

Nope, maybe he called everyone...which might make me feel worse, if he did in fact call everyone that is a big name and they all turned him down.

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Now I'm not trying to be a snob. The point I'm making is that what qualified as a big name coordinator? Or a "non-meh" coordinator. Like you said yourself, maybe Banker is that guy. And we still have 5 spots to fill folks. There could be some big names in there. But chances are, it's gonna be guys none of us have ever heard of before. How many people outside of Nebraska knew who George darlington was? Milt Tenopir? Dan young? I mean, c'mon. We're at this Tressel sh#t again, where anything short of Orgeron and Frost is going to lead to massive dissappointment and contiued apathy. I just dont agree with writing off the new bunch just because we've never heard of them and we go back nitpicking their record and numbers. Doesnt seem to be any subjectivity in the analysis of these guys. And you cant just go around getting guys just for their name and abilities. There has to be some sort of comfort level and "get along".

20 years ago? Probably not all that many.

I don't think people are writing them off...but Banker has been a DC for like a decade, right? So there is a bit of a track record where we can judge a little bit. Don't you think?

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Who's to say he hasn't pulled out all the stops. We just fired a coach that won 9 or more games a year. Granted it was time. We as fans, ask a lot of this program. Might just scare off some o/c and d/c.

Kiffen and Frost type o/c's would be crazy to leave those jobs at this time. Frost maybe, if he was promised to be next coach in waiting. Even that would be a risk for him, if it failed to get the results we wanted. Riley would probably feel more comfortable with the o/c he has worked with, than someone he would have to teach his system to.

I am going to just wait and see how next season go's, because I don't have any more of an idea than any of us do, on what Riley brings to the table, with the talent I think is much better than he had to work with at, Oregon St..

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

20 years ago? Probably not all that many.

I don't think people are writing them off...but Banker has been a DC for like a decade, right? So there is a bit of a track record where we can judge a little bit. Don't you think?

The track record that their defense has been pretty good at times? and not so good other times?

How is this different from most other coaches.

And even today, would people KNOW who Osbornes assistants were? Can you name of Oregon's staff without a google? Bama's? Florida St's?

Like I said, my point is not really pertaining to Banker's ability and track record. it's strictly to the notion that some folks appear to be upset that it's not Ed Oregeron. That it wont be Scott Frost. It's not some name guy that everyone knows that'll get the whole country to look at Nebraska and go "holy sh#t!", so it automatically means theyre not a good coach. Let Riley get the guys he WANTS, NOT the guys we fans think we need.

This isnt what i hoped for. Orgeron would have been a bigger get for recruiting and it would have made a good impression that we are building a powerful unit. This feels.....meh. Hope the increase in talent makes up for the lack of name valur.

Oregeron has never been a defensive coordinator
I get that but the name value is there and he has s plenty of experience to take that step up as a position. And the recruiting bump would have been great.

I don't know much about Banker other than once in a while the stars would align and he would have some guys who could do what he wanted. At least he has experience and a lot of it. I'm not gonna write him off by any means, just not what I expected I guess. If he is as good as the experience suggests why wasn't he lured to another school the moment Riley was announced here?

The OC position needs to be a splash for this to have the national impact we hoped for but I assume another guy he has experience with gets the gig. Chemistry is important but I'm hoping for a big hire.

All I'm saying is the announcement of Banker as DC doesn't necessarily mean coach O is off the table. Id like to think that Banker will not be coaching a position as well as being DC as was hinted by a recruit.

Hope this one works out.

I like penetration.

I agree.

One, if you think "all" anyone says about Riley is that he's a nice guy, then my God man, you haven't been listening. I even admitted I knew nothing about Riley before he was hired. As a Husker fan I felt maybe I ought to do a little research and do some listening to what others say about him. Others that know him a lot more than I do, I mean, he is the next HC of my favorite college football team. Turns out this guy is a legend in the minds of many. His resume' is vast.

I looked at some Oregon St. games and I like his offense. Turns out the guy is known for QB development. He's also known as a great fundamental teacher. He's a talent evaluator who builds his system around the talent he has. Sounds fantastic doesn't it? I mean, these are the exact things we've been missing here at Nebraska for about 7 years now.

As far as Banker goes, why wouldn't Riley hire the guy who's been coaching is defense for 14 years? This is what coaches do. I know we are all new to this. A "splash" hire does not guarantee success. Now, hiring Banker doesn't guarantee success either, but it does guarantee a smooth transition to a new system. It guarantees what Nebraska hits the ground running and can begin implementing the new style immediately. Can't we agree this is important and probably what we need?

We'll see how it works out but I'm for remaining positive and giving these guys a shot before I just shoot it all down. Too many people are just shooting things down without any real knowledge. That just seems like the wrong attitude right now. We've had enough negativity.

Now if Nebraska looks like the same sloppy, poorly coached team in a few seasons then I'll be complaining right along with the rest of you. I just don't expect that to be the case honestly. Thanks for at least offering a reason why you're not excited about it. It's better than most have offered.