Looks like Banker is the DC

But the way he does it is more aggression and more 1 gap penetration.

Hmmmm

Foreman talked about it. He likes the DT's to penetrate and disrupt and "spill" the run game to the edges with fast and tenacious pursuit from the linebackers. Takes a lot of mental stress off the back 7 from having to be so technical in the run fit game and it gives them a chance of using the sideline as a 12th defender and not having to be so sound in setting the edge. But the thing is, you gotta have some real tenacious guys at linebacker, and guys that can flat out move. But this type of thing is also rather susceptible to the misdirection I would. But if youre penetrating, and the backside DE is "staying at home" properly, I would think it wouldnt be too bad.

Banker has had some very good seasons, as well as awful ones.

I remain cautiously optimistic. At least he is established and experienced.

That's where I'm at. I don't really have a reason to not like the hire yet. It will be interesting to see what he can do with a more consistently higher level of talent (hopefully) that will be in Lincoln.

I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt as well...

He has to know he's got the weapons to make this defense frightening again, and I hope he's able to do that...

i agree. and i do have concerns about him. i hope riley really thinks these are the best guys for the task at hand and not just trying to see what his guys can do at a better school.

I have concerns about him too. I'm not sure how he convinces Gregory to stay.

Is he sticking with the 4-3?

I don't think there is any way to keep Gregory when he has been projected as the #4 pick. Hang with a suspect team or get paid bunches of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. What would you do? As for me "Show me the money!"

T_O_B

On the bright side, without knowing much about Banker, it's an upgrade from the previous "DC".

taped fingers freddie?

VZZyvIr-Imgur.jpg

Yea, that guy. Also if Banker decides, as an example, that it would be a good idea to focus on stopping the run of a 1 dimensional Wisconsin team and can actually put together a plan to do so, then he is an upgrade in overall defensive coaching (including that YSU guy).

• Fire 1

We know how hiring your buddies turns out...

Hope this one works out.

You really don't know actually, and Nebraska fans are showing their inexperience.

Yes Cosgrove-Callahan was a crapfest. Papuchis-Pelini was even worse. But really, every coach does this. You bring guys your familiar with. Why? Because they know your system, they know what you do. They know you. It makes the transition and the teaching streamlined.

We have some bad examples in our recent history that's all. Not every coaching change has to work out the way those did. Those guys were mistakes. This one could prove to be the right one. If not....we'll do this all again til we get it right. It might be something you'll have to get used to, but I hope not.

You might be right, but damn if we don't have a right to be leery of HCs that just go with their old standby. I'd be cool with it if the Riley/Banker combo was killing it in Corvallis. But they didn't. Not even close. That means that the only difference between mediocre results in Corvallis and the elite defense we crave is going to have to come down to vastly superior talent at Nebraska. That's asking a lot of our recruiting.

Just a forwarning True. Banker has a hefty track record of spill technique too.

But the way he does it is more aggression and more 1 gap penetration.

I like penetration.

I agree.

Thanks for the info Count. I'm gonna get around to watching more Oregon St. football when I have more time. I've liked what I've seen offensively so far, but not educated much on the defense.

Any more insight would be awesome from anyone who has any. It'd be great to understand why some don't like Banker, I'm all ears. You know, instead of just saying you don't like him because bitching seems to be the "in" thing.

Can't speak for others, but my concern is that Banker is not enough of a "splash" hire to overcome the giant "Meh" burger that was the Riley hiring.

All that anyone says about Riley is that he's a "nice guy." That's great and "nice guy" will do wonders to help repair the fractures in the program, but "nice guy" isn't necessarily going to win championships or bring 4* and 5* recruits to Lincoln in droves. Now, "nice guy" CEO head coach paired with elite coordinators? Now you've got something!

But when you pair "Meh, nice guy" head coach with "Who?" coordinators, I'm worried. When that "Who?" defensive coordinator wouldn't have gotten the job but for his having ridden the "Meh, nice guy's" coattails for the last 20 years, I start to feel like I've seen this movie before.

One, if you think "all" anyone says about Riley is that he's a nice guy, then my God man, you haven't been listening. I even admitted I knew nothing about Riley before he was hired. As a Husker fan I felt maybe I ought to do a little research and do some listening to what others say about him. Others that know him a lot more than I do, I mean, he is the next HC of my favorite college football team. Turns out this guy is a legend in the minds of many. His resume' is vast.

I looked at some Oregon St. games and I like his offense. Turns out the guy is known for QB development. He's also known as a great fundamental teacher. He's a talent evaluator who builds his system around the talent he has. Sounds fantastic doesn't it? I mean, these are the exact things we've been missing here at Nebraska for about 7 years now.

As far as Banker goes, why wouldn't Riley hire the guy who's been coaching is defense for 14 years? This is what coaches do. I know we are all new to this. A "splash" hire does not guarantee success. Now, hiring Banker doesn't guarantee success either, but it does guarantee a smooth transition to a new system. It guarantees what Nebraska hits the ground running and can begin implementing the new style immediately. Can't we agree this is important and probably what we need?

We'll see how it works out but I'm for remaining positive and giving these guys a shot before I just shoot it all down. Too many people are just shooting things down without any real knowledge. That just seems like the wrong attitude right now. We've had enough negativity.

Now if Nebraska looks like the same sloppy, poorly coached team in a few seasons then I'll be complaining right along with the rest of you. I just don't expect that to be the case honestly. Thanks for at least offering a reason why you're not excited about it. It's better than most have offered.

"All" that anyone says? No. But definitely the first thing that anyone says.

Bottom line: His record was not impressive at Oregon State. At all. Dude is 61 years old. You and I both know that the #1 attribute that brought him to Lincoln was that he is the anti-Bo in the personality department. The rationale is that he will be a class act, will be a good role model for the kids, and help heal the wounds in the program.

I totally get and support that logic, but if the predominant reason you hire Riley as the head coach is not his Xs and Os but his personality, then by that same logic, you have to surround him with elite coaches. I find it very hard to believe that Banker is, coincidentally, the best defensive coordinator for the Nebraska job. I find it even more unlikely given that we have actual data on Banker and it is not bowling anyone over.

I don't give a flying F that it's natural/unremarkable/typical/routine/normal/understandable for coaches to hire guys they are comfortable with. For once in 12 years, can we have a head coach that goes out of his g'damn comfort zone and brings in top-flight coordinators instead of defaulting to the guys he's "comfortable" with? Is that too much to freaking ask?

• Fire 1

I 100% understand the mantra of "Give him a chance" I totally do...

The thing is, Riley has had 30 years of coaching

Banker has been a DC for 14 (I think)

I mean...I think on the coaching end, they have had the chance. I know people will argue "Well, Saban sucked at MSU" true...I agree. Which means you better dang* well recruit your backsides* off to get great players and you darn* well better surround yourself with great coaches.

That is all people that are on the fence are asking.

*We don't swear in Nebraska

"All" that anyone says? No. But definitely the first thing that anyone says.

Bottom line: His record was not impressive at Oregon State. At all. Dude is 61 years old. You and I both know that the #1 attribute that brought him to Lincoln was that he is the anti-Bo in the personality department. The rationale is that he will be a class act, will be a good role model for the kids, and help heal the wounds in the program.

I totally get and support that logic, but if the predominant reason you hire Riley as the head coach is not his Xs and Os but his personality, then by that same logic, you have to surround him with elite coaches. I find it very hard to believe that Banker is, coincidentally, the best defensive coordinator for the Nebraska job. I find it even more unlikely given that we have actual data on Banker and it is not bowling anyone over.

I don't give a flying F that it's natural/unremarkable/typical/routine/normal/understandable for coaches to hire guys they are comfortable with. For once in 12 years, can we have a head coach that goes out of his g'damn comfort zone and brings in top-flight coordinators instead of defaulting to the guys he's "comfortable" with? Is that too much to freaking ask?

If Eichorst is a Moneyball guy, I doubt Mike Riley's personality was the #1 thing on his mind. It's a nice thing to have, though, when you're trying to lift a noxious culture like the one enshrouding Lincoln at the moment.

I agree with the second bolded part. I do not care––at all––that it's common practice to keep old faithfuls around; the question is will it work at Nebraska, right now, today? Thing about Banker is he's qualified. Riley was given this job and a part of it is to make these decisions.

I 100% understand the mantra of "Give him a chance" I totally do...

The thing is, Riley has had 30 years of coaching

Banker has been a DC for 14 (I think)

I mean...I think on the coaching end, they have had the chance. I know people will argue "Well, Saban sucked at MSU" true...I agree. Which means you better dang* well recruit your backsides* off to get great players and you darn* well better surround yourself with great coaches.

That is all people that are on the fence are asking.

*We don't swear in Nebraska

And they very well might be able to at-like Saban at LSU and Bama-a place like Nebraska as opposed to some big college in a town like Grand Island.