How does an A.D. "support" a football program?

For Bo, I think it was "I need to make sure I can trust this guy." Although, I have heard guys on the radio call Bo hyper-sensitive and paranoid, which isn't a great combination.

Severe had a roundtable with McKewon, Shatel, and Jay Moore on his OWH radio show yesterday. They said that Bo didn't always get along with TO, and that TO was "too meddlesome" at times. I don't know if anything could have made Bo "happy", considering his personality.

I have always felt that ADs should be out and about, especially at the big events and home games, shaking hands, getting the "pulse" making more contacts, hitting people up for money and really backing the coaches.

One thing I hate, is that so many ADs just wear suits all day, even at sporting events. Put on a school sweatshirt or polo and some jeans...enjoy it and take it all in. That is just a side rant.

• Fire 2

One thing I keep reading on this board is that there was tension between him and Osborne, that Osborne was too hands on micro-managy, I don't recall hearing this while "The Wizard of Os" was still around as AD. Were their incidents I missed or is it just "heard from a friend of friend" type deals?

If that's the case than I don't think their is any AD that Pelini would like.

One thing I keep reading on this board is that there was tension between him and Osborne, that Osborne was too hands on micro-managy, I don't recall hearing this while "The Wizard of Os" was still around as AD. Were their incidents I missed or is it just "heard from a friend of friend" type deals?

If that's the case than I don't think their is any AD that Pelini would like.

This was mentioned on the radio yesterday. During halftime of a game against Mizzou (not sure which one it was), Osborne was in the locker room and suggested that Watson run a certain pass play. Supposedly, Watson didn't know how to handle that, and Bo was pretty pissed about it. I think this oversteps Osborne's "job responsibilities", and is a bit of micro-managing.

Most coaches want the AD to sign the checks, and fund whatever he thinks is important, and that's about it. Keep the money flowing. Does anyone think Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, or any other major coach wants the AD hanging around the football team?

Hell, Pelini is lying somewhere, maybe even to himself, either in his "no support" comments after he was fired, or the repeated statements that he was given anything he asked for.

I have always felt that ADs should be out and about, especially at the big events and home games, shaking hands, getting the "pulse" making more contacts, hitting people up for money and really backing the coaches.

One thing I hate, is that so many ADs just wear suits all day, even at sporting events. Put on a school sweatshirt or polo and some jeans...enjoy it and take it all in. That is just a side rant.

I think you are making too much of a big deal about it. The AD's are interacting with super rich boosters before and during the games, so they are supposed to dress "professionally" during the games.

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

• Fire 3

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

Eichorst is paid to be a business-man. He runs a nearly $100 million athletic program. He isn't a coach. He is the CEO of the athletic program. I don't have any issue with the type of person Eichorst is. Yes, he could probably have more interaction with his coaches. But, for each coach that doesn't like it when he's not around, there is probably another coach who likes having the leeway to run his/her team the way they want to.

• Fire 2

So you prefer idiots who have to scream to get their points across (and still fail miserably at doing so). Got it.

• Fire 2

I think blaming Eichorst was more of a cop-out for Bo. Bo is not the type of guy who likes to be micro-managed so Eichorst's style and "support" should have actually been a pretty good fit for him. If Eichorst was around the team all the time and was constantly looking over Bo's shoulder I can guarantee you Bo would have disliked that far more. I'm not sure what Eichorst could have done differently to help Bo succeed. Last I checked he wasn't the one losing in blowout fashion and going 3 and out time and time again.

I can understand Nebraskans not liking the sound of the AD considering we're a warm and friendly people, GDI! With that said, it's not the employee's right to make demands of his boss. If Bo was concerned his job was in jeopardy, he should have been asking what he needed to do and making the necessary changes. It's something all of us folks in the real world probably know something about.