How does an A.D. "support" a football program?

When an AD fires a 9 win coach after having little communication with him for two years, you know that AD was hired to fire him and was just biding his time waiting for an opportunity. The rest is all filler.

if SE was biding his time he missed the perfect time after the Iowa game last year. Bo was asking to be fired. if SE was brought in to fire Bo that was the perfect opportunity. Why didn't Bo get fired last year if that was SE's mission?

SE's gonna come in his first year and fire a 9 win coach for what? You do realize that many people around the country are shaking their head and laughing at Nebraska? I expect Riley to get anything he wants from this administration after this fiasco.... Bo actually helped Riley a lot with his last childish shots at SE.

And no, Bo was not asking to be fired...he was saying if I'm gonna get the cold shoulder and have to work with this obvious Perlman setup, then you might as well fire me now......but they needed to wait for an acceptable excuse, like a bad loss in the game against booster Barry Alvarez.

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

So you prefer idiots who have to scream to get their points across (and still fail miserably at doing so). Got it.

God, you remind me of some crotchity old woman.

maybe the word Bo used to describe eichorst?

When an AD fires a 9 win coach after having little communication with him for two years, you know that AD was hired to fire him and was just biding his time waiting for an opportunity. The rest is all filler.

if SE was biding his time he missed the perfect time after the Iowa game last year. Bo was asking to be fired. if SE was brought in to fire Bo that was the perfect opportunity. Why didn't Bo get fired last year if that was SE's mission?

SE's gonna come in his first year and fire a 9 win coach for what? You do realize that many people around the country are shaking their head and laughing at Nebraska? I expect Riley to get anything he wants from this administration after this fiasco.... Bo actually helped Riley a lot with his last childish shots at SE.

And no, Bo was not asking to be fired...he was saying if I'm gonna get the cold shoulder and have to work with this obvious Perlman setup, then you might as well fire me now......but they needed to wait for an acceptable excuse, like a bad loss in the game against booster Barry Alvarez.

That's the great thing about Pelini: they wouldn't need to wait long for another bad loss, would they.

Nobody is laughing at Nebraska for firing Pelini, no matter how many time you write it. Most people wonder why it took so long.

Maybe Tressel at YSU will hold Pelini's hand like he wants, but Bo will complain about that too as soon as he loses a couple games and needs another excuse to avoid taking any responsibility.

• Fire 2

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

So you prefer idiots who have to scream to get their points across (and still fail miserably at doing so). Got it.

Those of us who actually played football understand he's just a football coach being a coach. I take responses like these as people who never likely never played the game nor understand it at the lowest form. Just my personal opinion. You are do quick to say he yells because he is an idiot? Wow I figured out was because he wants to win and knows how much work everyone has put into preparing to win that it makes him mad when the plan isn't executed and the team doesn't win or make a play. That's what I learned from my coach of football anyways.IMO IMO

I've had coaches who yelled and coaches who didn't yell. There are loads of successful college coaches who don't get in their players' faces and scream at them during games. In the games where Pelini melted down and screamed, how often did Nebraska end up winning the game? And what happened when he yelled at referees? Normally he got more penalties. His yelling rarely resulted in something good happening for his team. If it had actually worked, I would be more forgiving.

So you really have no moral high ground on this issue? A prostitute feels it's good when the john pays her, if you were a fan of women you'd be ok with that too?

Those of us who actually played football understand he's just a football coach being a coach. I take responses like these as people who never likely never played the game nor understand it at the lowest form. Just my personal opinion. You are do quick to say he yells because he is an idiot? Wow I figured out was because he wants to win and knows how much work everyone has put into preparing to win that it makes him mad when the plan isn't executed and the team doesn't win or make a play. That's what I learned from my coach of football anyways.IMO IMO

I've had coaches who yelled and coaches who didn't yell. There are loads of successful college coaches who don't get in their players' faces and scream at them during games. In the games where Pelini melted down and screamed, how often did Nebraska end up winning the game? And what happened when he yelled at referees? Normally he got more penalties. His yelling rarely resulted in something good happening for his team. If it had actually worked, I would be more forgiving.

So you really have no moral high ground on this issue? A prostitute feels it's good when the john pays her, if you were a fan of women you'd be ok with that too?

Pre-Pelini's parting message, and getting dismantled by Wisconsin again, I was merely annoyed by the neanderthal behavior.

Also, I'm a big fan of women. I think they're the sh#t.

If Eichhorst is involved in trying to punish Gangwish for the raccon kill, Eichorst should be fired immediately because he is too stupid. The fact that he even listened to the PETA freaks is probably enough to fire him and get someone with some courage and common sense.

The ad supports football by supporting the coach. He doesn't have to support him publicly but maybe talk to the guy once every year or so. U don't have to watch every practice or talk scheme with him, but just talk to them every once in awhile. Let them know u are there to support them or it concerns. It is never good to live in the shadows of doubt. I have been through working for a new guy who doesn't ever communicate to the old regime and u are constantly looking over it shoulder. It doesn't take much but maybe just form some sort of relationship with them and it should be fine.

In other words, what was missing in Bo's life? Was it money? Press? Not enough access to facilities?

Like a couple have said, I think it was purely relationship.

Eichorst ran or runs a different ship, I believe he hired someone to work with Bo. Someone dedicated to the football program that oversaw it.

As far as I'm concerned Eichorst can run it however he chooses as long as the expectations are clearly known and he is consistent. It's up to people like Bo to choose to follow t.

The ad supports football by supporting the coach. He doesn't have to support him publicly but maybe talk to the guy once every year or so. U don't have to watch every practice or talk scheme with him, but just talk to them every once in awhile. Let them know u are there to support them or it concerns. It is never good to live in the shadows of doubt. I have been through working for a new guy who doesn't ever communicate to the old regime and u are constantly looking over it shoulder. It doesn't take much but maybe just form some sort of relationship with them and it should be fine.

I agree with this, but I'd also like to add I think the policy of not talking about a coach's job security during the season should not be applied like an umbrella, which it appears SE does. If he truly, 100% supported Bo and all he did, he would have supported him last year and this year publicly. It's evident now he didn't fully support Bo, though. If you are an AD and you don't support the coach, you can still come out and cool the fan base and critics.

Come out and say you're 100% behind him and will reserve judgement on his performance until the end of the season. That gives the coach your support but then leaves open the opportunity that you could can him. In a situation like this year, Bo was obviously not going to be fired during the reg season unless something crazy happened.

From a management standpoint in general, I think it's important to be involved but to not micromanage. Stopping by Bo's office, asking to talk to him on occasion and showing interest in what he does is important for any boss. You can still do that even if you don't necessarily like the guy or agree with the way he runs his program.

I agree with this, but I'd also like to add I think the policy of not talking about a coach's job security during the season should not be applied like an umbrella, which it appears SE does. If he truly, 100% supported Bo and all he did, he would have supported him last year and this year publicly. It's evident now he didn't fully support Bo, though. If you are an AD and you don't support the coach, you can still come out and cool the fan base and critics.

Come out and say you're 100% behind him and will reserve judgement on his performance until the end of the season. That gives the coach your support but then leaves open the opportunity that you could can him. In a situation like this year, Bo was obviously not going to be fired during the reg season unless something crazy happened.

From a management standpoint in general, I think it's important to be involved but to not micromanage. Stopping by Bo's office, asking to talk to him on occasion and showing interest in what he does is important for any boss. You can still do that even if you don't necessarily like the guy or agree with the way he runs his program.

You really dont think SE talked to Bo more than 2 times in 2 years? I don't buy that at all

Bo isn't a cowboy. Actually, Bo is the big pu&&y.

There are coaches who can swear, holler, motivate and coach circles around Bo Pelini without being thin-skinned finger-pointers.

If a "real man" were to say goodbye to his team after being fired, the speech would look a lot different than Bo Pelinis.

• Fire 5

You really dont think SE talked to Bo more than 2 times in 2 years? I don't buy that at all

I never said that. Clearly, however, Bo is under the impression that he rarely saw, spoke to or had meaningful discussions with his boss. The athletic department is a large corporation, in essence, so it makes sense that SE has a lot to look over and can't have BP up in his office every day.

But, the Nebraska football coach is without question, argument or debate the most important coach in this athletic department. There's no reason that coach should ever feel that you're not directly communicating with him regularly.

It's possible that I just think philosophically different than SE in terms of management, and I respect different management styles. But, even if I don't like the most important person in my organization, I'm still going to ensure they feel I'm paying attention to them and having regular communication.