How does an A.D. "support" a football program?

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

So you prefer idiots who have to scream to get their points across (and still fail miserably at doing so). Got it.

Those of us who actually played football understand he's just a football coach being a coach. I take responses like these as people who never likely never played the game nor understand it at the lowest form. Just my personal opinion. You are do quick to say he yells because he is an idiot? Wow I figured out was because he wants to win and knows how much work everyone has put into preparing to win that it makes him mad when the plan isn't executed and the team doesn't win or make a play. That's what I learned from my coach of football anyways.IMO IMO
  • Fire 1

I understand what Bo is saying. The guy is so corporate. Not very sincere. Typical politically correct head figure. The age of guys like Bo is over. Its similar to the days of the cowboy coming to an end. Instead of real 'men' we have 'pussies' who lead their life by the guidance of 'the energy bus' which is the book eichorst handed out for Christmas to staff. If it is true eichorst and Bo only talked 8 times for a total of 160 minutes in two years... well then yes eichorst isn't doing his job IMO. There's a lot more to being a leader than making decisions. I'm jot saying one way is more right than another but I prefer people like Bo over eichorst. Just my two cents.

Eichorst is paid to be a business-man. He runs a nearly $100 million athletic program. He isn't a coach. He is the CEO of the athletic program. I don't have any issue with the type of person Eichorst is. Yes, he could probably have more interaction with his coaches. But, for each coach that doesn't like it when he's not around, there is probably another coach who likes having the leeway to run his/her team the way they want to.
a cute response. Unfortunately of is The football program that generated those millions. Nothing else. Literally. So I guess IMO I would expect the ad to have a little more of a relationship with the other head of the program. The football coach. Not being 'under a f'ing rock' IMO imp
  • Fire 1

Nebraska football had more resources this year than ever before.

As for coming out publicly in support, they spent the entire offseason holding hands singing kumbaya.

Bo deserved none of this after last season. But he got it. The A.D. doubled down on backing Bo, to the incredulous fans. Bo got one more year of running this ship completely as he pleased, with the most he ever had at his disposal. And Bo didn't do enough.

...on the field, or as is plain now, off the field.

• Fire 2

I think blaming Eichorst was more of a cop-out for Bo. Bo is not the type of guy who likes to be micro-managed so Eichorst's style and "support" should have actually been a pretty good fit for him. If Eichorst was around the team all the time and was constantly looking over Bo's shoulder I can guarantee you Bo would have disliked that far more. I'm not sure what Eichorst could have done differently to help Bo succeed. Last I checked he wasn't the one losing in blowout fashion and going 3 and out time and time again.

draw me a line between having literally no relationship with the head coach to having a relationship to micro managed. You guys are going from one extreme to another.IMO imo
  • Fire 1

Eichorst is paid to be a business-man. He runs a nearly $100 million athletic program. He isn't a coach. He is the CEO of the athletic program. I don't have any issue with the type of person Eichorst is. Yes, he could probably have more interaction with his coaches. But, for each coach that doesn't like it when he's not around, there is probably another coach who likes having the leeway to run his/her team the way they want to.
a cute response. Unfortunately of is The football program that generated those millions. Nothing else. Literally. So I guess IMO I would expect the ad to have a little more of a relationship with the other head of the program. The football coach. Not being 'under a f'ing rock' IMO imp

Using the excuse of "he's just being a football coach" is lame. Like it or not, being a coach in the 2010's is a lot different than being a coach in the 1970's or 1980's. Bo can't be Woody Hayes out there.

Using the excuse of "he's just being a football coach" is lame. Like it or not, being a coach in the 2010's is a lot different than being a coach in the 1970's or 1980's. Bo can't be Woody Hayes out there.
did you miss my post about the death of the cowboy and the transition to the energy bus?
  • Fire 1

did you miss my post about the death of the cowboy and the transition to the energy bus?

You're a real man, Deion. You're a real man!!!

Most coaches do not want the AD around the program. They tend to prefer the AD spend his time with the boosters, and pull out the credit card for any expenses they feel they need. Alvarez has driven off two good coaches by people around the football team too much (there is a statue of Barry in the coaches office even)

• Fire 1

Here's what Eichorst should have done to support Pelini.

1) Gotten mad and gone down to the sidelines in the 3rd quarter of the Wisconsin game.

2) Chewed out Pelini for 5 minutes on national TV while the offense struggled to get a first down.

3) Looked on helplessly as Gordon and his backup ran for yardage and TDs.

4) Gone to the press conference and when asked what happened said "You saw it, what do you think? The coaches didn't execute."

5) Go to the BIG offices and call them chicken somethings.

6) Called a private meeting with the coaches and let them know it's all Perlman's fault and he has their backs.

7) Get himself fired, keep the high salary, and watch everyone below him down to the water boy loose their jobs.

8) Call a meeting and curse out everyone who caused this mess.

Sounds like how a "staight shooting" highly paid professional would go about showing support for those below them.

• Fire 8

I think blaming Eichorst was more of a cop-out for Bo. Bo is not the type of guy who likes to be micro-managed so Eichorst's style and "support" should have actually been a pretty good fit for him. If Eichorst was around the team all the time and was constantly looking over Bo's shoulder I can guarantee you Bo would have disliked that far more. I'm not sure what Eichorst could have done differently to help Bo succeed. Last I checked he wasn't the one losing in blowout fashion and going 3 and out time and time again.

draw me a line between having literally no relationship with the head coach to having a relationship to micro managed. You guys are going from one extreme to another.IMO imo

What's this "IMO IMO" at the end of every post?

We aren't the ones that went from one extreme to the other. Bo Pelini is the one that didn't like Osborne micromanaging him, Bo Pelini is the one that didn't like Eichorst keeping his distance. We didn't make that stuff up. We're just discussing it.

I have always felt that ADs should be out and about, especially at the big events and home games, shaking hands, getting the "pulse" making more contacts, hitting people up for money and really backing the coaches.

One thing I hate, is that so many ADs just wear suits all day, even at sporting events. Put on a school sweatshirt or polo and some jeans...enjoy it and take it all in. That is just a side rant.

I think you are making too much of a big deal about it. The AD's are interacting with super rich boosters before and during the games, so they are supposed to dress "professionally" during the games.

Have you guys even been to a sporting event at NU? I've seen SE at football games, volleyball games, basketball games, and softball games (sadly, did not make it a baseball game last year), in khakis, a sweatshirt and husker baseball cap. I don't know what you're talking about but he definitely supports the athletic programs. Maybe he just thought Bo was a douche and avoided him like the plague? Still, he comes to the football games and I've even seen him in the stands and STUDENT SECTION!!!

• Fire 4