McKewon: Pelini's message negative for team

zoogs

McKewon: Pelini's message negative for team

How Pelini feels reflects his perception of reality. It doesnt inform all of reality, and its time for his former players to understand that. And its going to be the tall task of new coach Mike Riley to teach it.

Riley could catch a break. Some brave player could in the media or simply among players stand up and reject the stringent aspects of Pelinis world view. That player could love the coach and many of his lessons but hate specific parts of this message. But admitting Pelini might have been wrong that hes capable of mistakes seems a bridge too far for many of his current or former players to tweet or say publicly.

Sam goes in depth on three themes of Pelini's speech here:

• That Nebraska's job is unfairly, uniquely hard and all the negativity was responsible for the Wisconsin loss.
  • That the new staff "won't respect his work and may not be fit for the leftover players."
  • Pelini's "blatant culture of disrespect" for Eichorst.

Sam also finds three positives for the road:

• This should be the last thing of substance we hear from Bo on Nebraska. (But, who knows?)
  • How the players feel about the administration / fans / etc, it's all out in the open. "No secrets."
  • Riley gets a good, clear look at what he's inheriting.

And if there's one reason to be upbeat, it's this:

Riley is one of the two or three most important figures in Oregon State football history. And yet, according to every person Ive talked to about him, he wore that distinction lightly almost breezily. He appears to get that stewardship isnt the same as ownership; that hes a shepherd, not the savior.

No matter his success here (or lack thereof), Riley will never be under the delusion that he is or is bigger than Nebraska football. This'll be a Nebraska football program again, one whose operation we can be proud of.

• Fire 2

"So hopefully he brings someone in here that is strong, that has some leadership skills. I'm sure they will go do that.

My advice is fellas is, it'll be different, but if you choose to stay here, you give the new guy a chance. I went through that fellas, I went from an old-school coach in Earl Bruce at Ohio St to someone who came in and he was totally different....he was a big-time adjustment. Whomever it is will probably come in here and talk bad about what we've done, or.... or sit there and say we gotta upgrade this, we gotta upgrade that, but you guys can control your own destiny by what you put on on film and how hard you work. Don't get caught up in all the BS, all the stuff the press says around here. At the end of the day, you take care of you, you take care of each other. Usually when you have that attitude, things work out. Ok?"

---

Planting seeds like this into the player's minds was childish. But even though Bo attempted to bring forth a ridiculous belief, I'm sure these student athletes will be pleasantly surprised by the real teaching and proper support Coach Riley & Co will provide.

• Fire 2

When I read the title I thought "duh" you are behind the curve. But really it still needs to be said. As obvious as it is for some of us that pelini's comments were embarrassing damaging and @sshat, some still don't get it. Especially outside Nebraska. Up here in Sioux falls the local espn guy thinks pelini is hilarious and made good points. It wass sure entertaining at our expense... Again.

Everyone remembers what a nice guy Kevin Cosgrove was......and how he was treated....just sayin'.

First of all, NU fans didn't treat Kevin Cosgrove badly because he was a nice guy. It was because he was utterly incompetent.

Second, Kevin Cosgrove was known to many as an arrogant asshat. A family friend of ours has a son who now plays in the NFL. Nebraska was at the top of his list his senior year in hs--until they dealt with Cosgrove during the recruiting process. The kid ended up at a B1G school instead. (We were in the Big 12 back then.) To this day they'll tell you how Kevin Cosgrove was the most arrogant jerk they encountered during the recruitment process.

Everyone remembers what a nice guy Kevin Cosgrove was......and how he was treated....just sayin'.

First of all, NU fans didn't treat Kevin Cosgrove badly because he was a nice guy. It was because he was utterly incompetent.

Second, Kevin Cosgrove was known to many as an arrogant asshat. A family friend of ours has a son who now plays in the NFL. Nebraska was at the top of his list his senior year in hs--until they dealt with Cosgrove during the recruiting process. The kid ended up at a B1G school instead. (We were in the Big 12 back then.) To this day they'll tell you how Kevin Cosgrove was the most arrogant jerk they encountered during the recruitment process.

As soon as he had a bad game there was nothing good about him. Guys like you are gonna need to be on your best behavior from now on. And your little personal anecdote there was really cute...I bet nobody can come up with one as good as that.....after the next bad game.

As soon as he had a bad game there was nothing good about him. Guys like you are gonna need to be on your best behavior from now on. And your little personal anecdote there was really cute...I bet nobody can come up with one as good as that.....after the next bad game.

53784557.jpg