Strength and conditioning Mark Philipp

While we are on the topic of S&C, I had a couple things. Nebraska used to put out tapes to high school coaches regarding this. They emphasized what was important and what to avoid. This was when the huskers were still at the forefront of such things. There was no throwing ropes or flipping tires. There were guys with a clear objective. And it wasnt core strength or cross training. It was to produce the most powerful explosive, fastest athlete you could. The eyes were on the prize. I fail to see how throwing a rope accomplishes this. My point is I think the HC needs to set clear objectives for the SC program, that ensure explosiveness and speed are emphasized and measureably increased. SC has to be targeted. We arent training marines, or triathletes or second rate football players. We are training HUSKER FOOTBALL players. I hope the new guys get it and keep track of the progress.

While we are on the topic of S&C, I had a couple things. Nebraska used to put out tapes to high school coaches regarding this. They emphasized what was important and what to avoid. This was when the huskers were still at the forefront of such things. There was no throwing ropes or flipping tires. There were guys with a clear objective. And it wasnt core strength or cross training. It was to produce the most powerful explosive, fastest athlete you could. The eyes were on the prize. I fail to see how throwing a rope accomplishes this. My point is I think the HC needs to set clear objectives for the SC program, that ensure explosiveness and speed are emphasized and measureably increased. SC has to be targeted. We arent training marines, or triathletes or second rate football players. We are training HUSKER FOOTBALL players. I hope the new guys get it and keep track of the progress.

If you are a HS coach and want a regimen for your team simply email the S&C coaches and they will hook you up.

In regards to S&C lately Dobson has been on a kick about explosivness. When lifting they measure the speed with which you lift the weight. Not much maxing out etc. They have it all hooked up to a screen system so players can see where they rank for their own position group etc.

I feel that Dobson has bought far too much into the newest fad and lost touch with raw POWER. Hopefully Mark brings a more balanced approach

It is weird because it is such an important coach but in the end, for the most part, all teams are basically doing the same stuff in one way shape or form.

People used to think it was crazy that the Huskers Oline would practice in a sand pit.

Tire flipping is not new that is as old as tires

Hell...Louisville, at one point, was doing all their lifts in full pads because it simulated what it would be like during games.

If you are a HS coach and want a regimen for your team simply email the S&C coaches and they will hook you up.

In regards to S&C lately Dobson has been on a kick about explosivness. When lifting they measure the speed with which you lift the weight. Not much maxing out etc. They have it all hooked up to a screen system so players can see where they rank for their own position group etc.

I feel that Dobson has bought far too much into the newest fad and lost touch with raw POWER. Hopefully Mark brings a more balanced approach

Explosiveness is essentially the same thing as power. Time - how fast you move a weight over a given distance - is part of the definition of power. When Dobson provided the athletes a measure of how quickly they moved the weight he was providing them an objective measure of how much raw power they created.

If, by hoping for a more balanced approach you mean more maxing out, then you're probably mostly concerned with raw strength as opposed to power. Strength implies moving a weight over a given distance, regardless of how long it takes you to do it. This is probably a less athletic way to train. In other words, o-lineman who can bench 600 pounds might sound cool, but it doesn't mean they'll be good lineman, it just means they're good at the bench press.

There is a positive relationship between strength and power (getting stronger typically makes you more powerful, and vise versa), but I'll take five lineman who can bench press 500 pounds in .75 seconds over five lineman who can bench 600 pounds in 1.0 second every day of the week and twice on Saturday, provided everything else is equal.

I'm not saying Dobson was the greatest SC coach in the world, but he's not an idiot either. Mark Phillip's program will have some differences, but at the core they'll probably be more similar than a lot of people think. They'll probably focus on bench, squat and clean (maybe deadlift) since they're the big movements that allow you to train for strength and power. There will probably be movements like medicine ball throws and tire flips since they're ballistic exercises that don't require slowing the weight after moving it as quickly as you can (i.e. they're relatively safe ways to train power). There will probably be conditioning movements like ropes that allow you to do a lot of work in a relatively short period of time. (Ever used a rope? Go do waves or slams with a 2 inch rope as quickly and forcefully as you can for 20-30 seconds and then tell me how your heart tastes.)

Remember that Eppley is back. Were gonna get back to hardcore sports specific and position specific training. And if I recall, the head guy at USC ws Epplys #2 man here in the 90's. Pretty strong connection as to why Phillip is the guy. I have no worries whatsoever about S&C moving forward.

Outstanding point

Explosiveness is essentially the same thing as power. Time - how fast you move a weight over a given distance - is part of the definition of power. When Dobson provided the athletes a measure of how quickly they moved the weight he was providing them an objective measure of how much raw power they created.

If, by hoping for a more balanced approach you mean more maxing out, then you're probably mostly concerned with raw strength as opposed to power. Strength implies moving a weight over a given distance, regardless of how long it takes you to do it. This is probably a less athletic way to train. In other words, o-lineman who can bench 600 pounds might sound cool, but it doesn't mean they'll be good lineman, it just means they're good at the bench press.

There is a positive relationship between strength and power (getting stronger typically makes you more powerful, and vise versa), but I'll take five lineman who can bench press 500 pounds in .75 seconds over five lineman who can bench 600 pounds in 1.0 second every day of the week and twice on Saturday, provided everything else is equal.

I'm not saying Dobson was the greatest SC coach in the world, but he's not an idiot either. Mark Phillip's program will have some differences, but at the core they'll probably be more similar than a lot of people think. They'll probably focus on bench, squat and clean (maybe deadlift) since they're the big movements that allow you to train for strength and power. There will probably be movements like medicine ball throws and tire flips since they're ballistic exercises that don't require slowing the weight after moving it as quickly as you can (i.e. they're relatively safe ways to train power). There will probably be conditioning movements like ropes that allow you to do a lot of work in a relatively short period of time. (Ever used a rope? Go do waves or slams with a 2 inch rope as quickly and forcefully as you can for 20-30 seconds and then tell me how your heart tastes.)

Correct, I was obviously sleep typing at 345 this morning haha. Thanks for taking the time to go into detail like you did

Remember that Eppley is back. Were gonna get back to hardcore sports specific and position specific training. And if I recall, the head guy at USC ws Epplys #2 man here in the 90's. Pretty strong connection as to why Phillip is the guy. I have no worries whatsoever about S&C moving forward.

Ivan Lewis was born in 1978, the timeline doesn't make sense for him to be here in the 90's.

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ivan_lewis_880409.html

Nice write up...The only issue is we don't have any lineman besides Farmer that can bench 500+. We are extremely weak as a team and hopefully Philipp can change that.