Strength and conditioning Mark Philipp

Watched a couple Husker high light vids today and was struck by the fact that our lines in the 9ies didn't have their guts hanging over their

pants. Wistrom and Peter actually had visible 6 packs under their jerseys. Bring this back, please, Mark Philipp.

T_O_B

Our tradition of great lineman has fallen off over the past few years

More of this:

Carl+Nicks+Nebraska+v+Texas+v8NMFkCIey8lmatt-slauson8.jpg

Less of this:

ByjetC7IMAASSJl.jpg

• Fire 2

Players can have all the strength and explosiveness in the world. Getting them to use it (motivating) is a totally different issue. I think more of the sloppy play and lack of effort/looking tired had more to do with the team attitude and leadership (or lack of). Dobson is a good trainer, he just was loyal to the wrong person and decided to go down with the sinking ship.

• Fire 1

Watched a couple Husker high light vids today and was struck by the fact that our lines in the 9ies didn't have their guts hanging over their

pants. Wistrom and Peter actually had visible 6 packs under their jerseys. Bring this back, please, Mark Philipp.

T_O_B

Our tradition of great lineman has fallen off over the past few years

More of this:

Carl+Nicks+Nebraska+v+Texas+v8NMFkCIey8lmatt-slauson8.jpg

Less of this:

ByjetC7IMAASSJl.jpg

Good God

Players can have all the strength and explosiveness in the world. Getting them to use it (motivating) is a totally different issue. I think more of the sloppy play and lack of effort/looking tired had more to do with the team attitude and leadership (or lack of). Dobson is a good trainer, he just was loyal to the wrong person and decided to go down with the sinking ship.

I don't know much about Dobson or what his style was but I do think this team had decent strength. Benning last night thought the guys were more so too stiff and inflexible. No able to bend and move quickly while maintaining power. You can see it quite a bit when you watch closely. Some of our big guys especially, just don't move very well. I think footwork and technique would be a big help but like Benning said, we need to focus more on short burst and quick twitch type power. The injuries we've amassed on a regular basis would support that theory.

In my opinion, the offensive line is going to be the biggest challenge. As far as physical condition, strength, flexibility, and short burst power but as you said, I think the mindset may be the weakest part of it all up front. Good lord, the lack of physicality and aggression is just disturbing sometimes. Not playing to the whistles, half efforts, and missed assignments all over the place. You can watch any Husker game this year and nearly pick an offensive linemen on every play that just looks like he wasn't evenntryingmor didn't know what he was supposed to do. The level of pride in your work needs to increase. Also, the pure and simple ability to push the man across from you backwards and away from the gap the play is designed to go. I'd like to see us start moving the line of scrimmage again.

• Fire 1

funny this guy likes to rip his shirt off in crowds....what is he, 17?

seriously, I am sure he will be great and yes he has trimmed a lot coming from OL. like that.

From the OWH today:

>> New Nebraska strength coach Mark Philipp joins the program after serving as a USC assistant for one more game. He worked under Riley at Oregon State before moving on to the Trojans.

"Love him," Riley said. "His relationship with the players is at the highest level. The way he can motivate kids to work — which I think is almost the No. 1 ingredient in that job — is great. He's great with young people."

This is why I'm excited about the hire. Dobson apparently couldn't motivate some of the players to improve their strength and conditioning. Was it really on the honor system?

I think our new hire will be more successful. If they can feed off his energy and enthusiasm we will be miles ahead of where we are now.

• 3 weeks later...