Thoughts on Big 10 conference going forward

Nebhawk

The conference definitely needs to start with some more progressive thinking especially in football. They really need to start pushing and get more games played in primetime especially in November. This whole looking down on night games in November is ridiculous. Have to get more games seen by more people. They also seem to have this hardon for New York. Hey Delaney, you know why no conference has gotten into the NY footprint? B/c its a pro sport town/region. They dont care about college. Getting a footprint in the southeastern part of the country would be much more beneficial. Need more forward thinking and actions than whats going on now. If things dont change i dont believe the product will get better and the conference will get passed. Hell, i'd say right now the B1G is the 4th most relevant conference ahead of only the ACC of the power 5.

The problem is the entire conference is located in a part of the country that has little to no elite talent. Plucking the kids from So Cal Texas and the Deep South is harder these days because our schools don't really have anything to sell them on, while having worse weather and being far from home.

No, not the entire conference.

If Oregon can get kids to go to school there from all over the place, the top Big10 schools should be able to it as well.

http://uxblog.idvsolutions.com/2014/12/2015-college-football-playoff.html

The Big East failed because it lost Miami, BC and VaTech, then WVU, Pitt and Louisville more recently.

The Big Ten isnt losing anyone unless Penn State wants to further its frefall and join the ACC like Notre Dame. Whats worse than sucking against Big Ten foes? Sucking against ACC also rans.

If Ohio State wins, the ESPN will be back all over the Big Ten. Big Ten has a huge viewing audience / fan base. I predicted that O-State would get into the playoff prior to there beating of Wisky, just due to the fan base of the big ten. I hate the O state but I will cheer for them in the play off.

Don't talk sh#t on the B1G until we've dominated it.

Last time I checked, we've lost at least 2 conference games each year since we've joined.

I think it's been a good move for us. We're really thriving in basketball and it may have played a part in us changing our football program. Bo couldn't hack it in his old conference.

Don't talk sh#t on the B1G until we've dominated it.

Last time I checked, we've lost at least 2 conference games each year since we've joined.

I think it's been a good move for us. We're really thriving in basketball and it may have played a part in us changing our football program. Bo couldn't hack it in his old conference.

Thriving in basketball? Haha...get off the Crack pipe

If Ohio State wins, the ESPN will be back all over the Big Ten. Big Ten has a huge viewing audience / fan base. I predicted that O-State would get into the playoff prior to there beating of Wisky, just due to the fan base of the big ten. I hate the O state but I will cheer for them in the play off.

FSU won, has proceeded to go undefeated since --- and STILL has little to no respect. It's going to take a LOT more than an Ohio State win to bring any further legitimacy to the B1G.

I do believe that Ohio St winning would help the Big Ten, but it will take several of the other teams beating (and/or being competitve in losses) with the non-conference teams that are supposedly better on a regular bases for that opinion to change. I also think it would have to happen for more than one season, people are stubborn in their views and public perception takes time to change.

we need 2 teams consistently competitive in top 10 an 2 more in top 15. good solid bowl game performance against other top conference talent....all over multiple years.. otherwise, we aren't going anywhere. and I hope its not MSU, Michigan, and Ohio state only....with occasional pop ups from Neb and WIS.

I guess in ways the Ohio St / Alabama game could either help or hinder the conference. I don't know if thats absolutely true, but will have some relevance.

Harbaugh would make the Big 10 legit overnight. You have to have your major rivals both at high levels first in order to build power. It starts with Michigan and Ohio ST. This is why Michigan is waiting on Harbaugh. He would have that natural dislike for Ohio St. Once these two regain some national relevance, then the likes of Nebraska and Penn St will reap the benefits.

Splash hires are what it is about in the age of college football. NFL experience to add to that. Harbaugh has put many skilled players in the NFL. This is what youngsters are looking for.

IF the conference could show up in the bowl games it would help. 10 games, not favored in a single one.

Before we were in this conference we to thought it was a joke. Slow plodding, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. No competition.

I grew up and still live in Illinois. For years the Big would send its conference champ to play in the Rose Bowl against the PAC champ and for years the Big teams would get drilled. I have always felt the Big was overrated. The 3 yards and a cloud of dust was realistic when the only two teams that would win were Mich and OSU. Hell, Woody Hayes once was quoted as saying something like he hated the pass because when you pass 3 things can happen and 2 of those are bad.