SIGNED - WR Lavan Alston

Mavric

Rivals' listed five who didn't perform so well at the Semper Fi game:

Alston has the straight-line speed to be a deep threat at the next level, but his hands looked suspect most of the week. That has been the knock since the spring, even with a more-than-capable quarterback throwing him the ball in high school teammate Ricky Town. The three-star prospect must show more consistency to make the jump at the next level.

Slightly concerning, but I still say we should take him. You can work with guys to become more consistent ball catchers, how to run routes, etc. You can't teach speed.

Take the speed & teach!

• Fire 1

Supposedly had the top 200M time in California as a sophomore at 21.81 seconds. Also said to have had the second-best 100M time at 10.77.

Those times are plenty fast but I'm skeptical that was the entire state. Perhaps his class or region. In any event (no pun intended), he definitely has speed.

Josh Harvey@JoshHarveyScout 9m

Future #Nebraska #Huskers visitor @lavan954alston is one of @BrandonHuffman’s top under the radar players out west http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1501825-five-under-the-radar-recruitments-out-west?s=204

Lavan Alston | WR | Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure

Scheduled Visits: Washington State (1/16) and Nebraska (1/30)
Decision Timeline: Signing Day

The Skinny: Alston had silently committed to Oregon State in November while on an official visit. A couple of days later, Mike Riley left Corvallis to be the head coach at Nebraska. The Huskers offered Alston not long after and he'll visit the last weekend before Signing Day. This weekend, Alston will visit Washington State. He's also visited California and Utah could also squeeze in a visit the weekends between his Washington State and Nebraska visits.

Supposedly had the top 200M time in California as a sophomore at 21.81 seconds. Also said to have had the second-best 100M time at 10.77.

Those times are plenty fast but I'm skeptical that was the entire state. Perhaps his class or region. In any event (no pun intended), he definitely has speed.

Ya, you are right. Those are nowhere near the top times in California, they wouldn't even be the best in Nebraska.

Ya, you are right. Those are nowhere near the top times in California, they wouldn't even be the best in Nebraska.

I believe he ran those times in pads and helmet fwiw