No more Beck and Papuchis.....lets celebrate (post gifs)

Apathy

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Since the thread's been bumped, Beck is #5 on 247's top recruiters list. Donte Williams is #13.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeCoachRankings/

Beck might be able to recruit, but as an OC, I still find him lacking.  I wonder if the ranking is a little biased as I'd think Texas almost recruits itself......But then again, I'm biased towards Beck.....

Season is over.  Early signing was great and now over...Nothing left to talk about.  Might as well be old staff and "where are they now"....

21 hours ago, Toe said:

Since the thread's been bumped, Beck is #5 on 247's top recruiters list. Donte Williams is #13.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeCoachRankings/

Based on what exactly, cuz he wasn’t all that great here.....riding the coat tails of some much better than him possibly.  Keep this in mind though...beck has had playcalling responsibilities taken away at both osu and tx, both mid yr.  beck is a below average OC making him fit in perfectly into blo’s coaching circus group

I know we're celebrating both Jesus' birthday and a successful recruiting season right now, but this thread gives us pause to consider understanding and forgiveness.

Virtually every criticism of  Tim Beck's offense while he was at Nebraska could be leveled at Scott Frost. 

In fairness to both Beck and Frost, they run minor variations of  a modern college football offense practiced by more successful programs, and coaches who aren't accused of being "too cute" because they win. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know we're celebrating both Jesus' birthday and a successful recruiting season right now, but this thread gives us pause to consider understanding and forgiveness.

Virtually every criticism of  Tim Beck's offense while he was at Nebraska could be leveled at Scott Frost. 

In fairness to both Beck and Frost, they run minor variations of  a modern college football offense practiced by more successful programs, and coaches who aren't accused of being "too cute" because they win. 

Little bit apples and oranges but I see your point. The thing with Beck is while Zeke was being hush hush about whether he was going to leave early, Beck pissed off Zeke and made him go public about leaving early after losing a game because he was throwing in the rain and wouldnt run the ball. Frost has been questionable at times, but that game officially eliminated all doubt t as to whether Beck was a good OC... he's not

The only differences between what we do and what Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich did at Oregon is how we block plays and we have more gap blocking packages. I'm really hoping Scott trusts the OL enough next season to run as much exotic blocking packages as we did in 2018 that really made our offense dangerous. We saw pin and pull blocks which were a staple of what Scott did at Oregon and UCF a very minimal amount of times and I'm going to guess that was because we didn't trust any of our OL to get out and block in space. 

How any of it is different than what Beck does? The base 4 plays are the same, but the reads and blocking are different. Beck might do a few things we do. But he doesn't do everything we do. Which is what makes our offense work. Beck tries to morph about 4 different schemes into one and call it his.

• Fire 1

Lol, no. Cool opinion, but no. The hilarious circus of playing calling and game planning ineptitude Beck over saw at UNL can in no way be linked or compared to what frost is doing. 

18 hours ago, husker98 said:

Lol, no. Cool opinion, but no. The hilarious circus of playing calling and game planning ineptitude Beck over saw at UNL can in no way be linked or compared to what frost is doing. 

Well, yeah. It can. 

That's why I phrased it the way I did. The criticisms of Beck --- getting away from the run game when it was working, passing on third and one, passing when the team had the lead in the fourth quarter, cute plays, trick plays, not establishing bread and butter plays, questionable clock management, no offensive identity -- haven't really changed under Frost, have they? 

Scott came in with more of an Oregon offense than the Osborne offense, and that big playbook finesse offense is everything Beck haters hated about Beck. I think Scott will eventually pull it off and put his own stamp on things, but at the moment he's not even doing it as well as Beck. Stats don't tell us everything but, you know....

Nebraska Offense 2014

Team Offense: #12 in NCAA

37 points per game

27 passing attempts for 212 ypg

45 rushing attempts for 240 ypg

5.8 penalties/game

1.9 turnovers/game

9-4 record

Nebraska Offense 2019

Team Offense #58 in NCAA

28 points per game

27 passing attmpets for 212 ypg

45 rushing attmpets for 205 ypg

7.7 penalties/game

1.8 turnovers/game

5-7 record

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well, yeah. It can. 

That's why I phrased it the way I did. The criticisms of Beck --- getting away from the run game when it was working, passing on third and one, passing when the team had the lead in the fourth quarter, cute plays, trick plays, not establishing bread and butter plays, questionable clock management, no offensive identity -- haven't really changed under Frost, have they? 

Scott came in with more of an Oregon offense than the Osborne offense, and that big playbook finesse offense is everything Beck haters hated about Beck. I think Scott will eventually pull it off and put his own stamp on things, but at the moment he's not even doing it as well as Beck. Stats don't tell us everything but, you know....

Nebraska Offense 2014

Team Offense: #12 in NCAA

37 points per game

27 passing attempts for 212 ypg

45 rushing attempts for 240 ypg

5.8 penalties/game

1.9 turnovers/game

9-4 record

Nebraska Offense 2019

Team Offense #58 in NCAA

28 points per game

27 passing attmpets for 212 ypg

45 rushing attmpets for 205 ypg

7.7 penalties/game

1.8 turnovers/game

5-7 record

In defense of your post (great stats), but even to my eyes, the Frost O appears just like Wats, Beck and Langs.....Especially to the bolded points.  I am sure it will improve with depth to counter injuries.  More guys with a grasp of the playbook etc.....BUT play calling has got to improve...I am not a fan of the Big or Bust O......AND I AM NOT SAYING TO GRIND IT OUT (not aimed at you), but we have to be capable if plays that can (if needed) sustain a long grinding drive to either eat the clock or the chunk plays are not there.  And to your point, much like the other OC's, an inability to counter an aggressive D ie blitzing, pursuit etc through play calling....

Full disclosure: I like the principals of the Shawn Watson, Tim Beck and Scott Frost offenses, which utilize all the offensive personnel with multiple sets, high percentage passing, and variations on the RPO adjusted to the dual threat quarterback. It can, and should, adjust to the defense and weather. None of these coaches abandoned the run. It just seemed like it sometimes.