No more Beck and Papuchis.....lets celebrate (post gifs)

Apathy

On 12/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well, yeah. It can. 

That's why I phrased it the way I did. The criticisms of Beck --- getting away from the run game when it was working, passing on third and one, passing when the team had the lead in the fourth quarter, cute plays, trick plays, not establishing bread and butter plays, questionable clock management, no offensive identity -- haven't really changed under Frost, have they? 

Scott came in with more of an Oregon offense than the Osborne offense, and that big playbook finesse offense is everything Beck haters hated about Beck. I think Scott will eventually pull it off and put his own stamp on things, but at the moment he's not even doing it as well as Beck. Stats don't tell us everything but, you know....

Nebraska Offense 2014

Team Offense: #12 in NCAA

37 points per game

27 passing attempts for 212 ypg

45 rushing attempts for 240 ypg

5.8 penalties/game

1.9 turnovers/game

9-4 record

Nebraska Offense 2019

Team Offense #58 in NCAA

28 points per game

27 passing attmpets for 212 ypg

45 rushing attmpets for 205 ypg

7.7 penalties/game

1.8 turnovers/game

5-7 record

I like your post it gives good insight into where your opinion derives from and give some numbers to make your point. 

However There are some Really critical flaws in the logic of this post.

You are comparing (in the 2014 team) a group who Beck had overseen for 4 years at that point, all kids he helped recruit and (develop?) and enjoyed a stable QB position in Tommy A.

And Failure was the Result, they only beat two winning teams that year (Iowa and Rutgers), played two other winning teams close, and got blown out by the rest. His patented no huddle, 3 and out offense was on full display that season against any decent team. A very average Iowa team took them to OT were they barely scrapped out a W. 

You then want to use those numbers and compare that to the SF UNL Cornhuskers who were using a roster still heavily dependent on talent recruited by the last regime with a revolving door of QB's thanks to injuries and inexperience and claim he isn't even doing as good as Beck?

You want to pass judgement, do it when SF hits year 4, the comparison will be an honest and reasonable, but more importantly, one that will hold water. 

We could get into a debate about play calling, and the offensive philosophy behind both teams. But again its hard to pass judgement on scott who is only in year two. But if what i have read is true, we haven't really seen much yet, much of this offense is placeholder at the moment till the kids they recruited develop some more. 

Tim Beck on the other hand we have a great recent history which only reaffirmed the many grievances our fans had about him as we have now watched him crash and burn a natty title caliber offense at TOSU, only team to get shut out in the play off lol:facepalm:.  Then turn around as if nothing bad happened and crash and burn a Big 12 title calibre (if not more) offense at Texas. This dude got demoted and booted minus the pink slip at TOSU (having connections sure is nice eh?), and has now gotten demoted again at Texas. The only thing saving him at this point is his considerable recruiting acumen, That's one firing, a demotion/quasi we still friends but you can't work here bro firing, and then a demotion over incompetence in all with in a 5 year span. 

Minus Tim Beck i enjoyed the Pelini era, Bo came close, he needed to make some changes on D, but he really needed to get rid of Beck and go find someone a bit more qualified to implement his vision of what he wanted on offense.