Farewell Ameer Abdullah---thanks for the memories

Joe Orduna and Jeff Kinney are the first running backs I remember watching at DONU. There have been some greats....I.M. Hipp, Rozier, Benning, the Craigs, Rathman and all the other fullbacks, Lawrence Phillips, Calvin Jones, Ahman Green, PorkChop...well, enough...can't list them all.

I don't remember actually getting choked up about any of them playing their last game till the final gun tonight when Ameer Abdullah ran off the field. He had that certain something I won't even try to describe. We may see "better" running backs, but we'll likely have to wait a long time to see another one so special.

Thanks Ameer, best of luck in your future.

He looked fantastic tonight, like his old self! What a difference a month can make in healing!! He was underrated, i still think he was the most valuable player in the college this year.. well, ok him, mariota and gordon, it's a three way tie in my book!! but still.. awesome, awesome running back!! We'll never get one quite like him again!! But if we do we're gonna win a championship next time!!

I ran track against Joe Orduna, met Jeff Kinney, Roger Craig, Pork Chop (who has been my favorite Nebraska back). I truly regret never meeting Ameer. He has to be one of the classiest kids to ever play the game for Nebraska, hell even for college football. Thank you for being a Husker in what I feel was our worst of times. Your level headedness, your constant work effort and your absolute love for your team has been amazing to watch. You and Cory will be my favorites from now on I would guess. Not about the numbers, the runs the blocks, the catches but about the person you are, that plays football for the University of Nebraska, very little could make me prouder than to be able to say that.

Thank You young man, best wishes to you in your future. Remember though you will always be one of the Husker best.

The one thing I always loved about Ameer is how he taps the defender on the hat when they get up, always congratulating them on the tackle. It seemed like the harder he got hit the quicker he got up and the tougher he played. Musta been the baby brother boxer mentality.

• Fire 1