Hmmmm... Did anyone else notice that TA

drfish

Coaching, coaching, coaching...there is not real QB development at all. Seems the QB coaching to this point has been throwing routes in practice. Obviously it is much more involved than that. It's known that TM and TA sought outside help in the off season because they didn't have a choice.

Just reading that our Elite 11 QB is "getting more work with the 2's" is ridiculous.

TA has talent and we'll all get to see what a good off season will do with some actual teaching does for him. Good thing is there will be others getting a chance to compete.

• Fire 2

If I weren't so lazy, I'd research the stats from last night, but I think it would be interesting to see first half vs second half stat for TA...including poor decisions. Would also like to know how many of those head scratching passes were bad cuts from the receivers. He did look like a boss for most of the later 2nd half.

We've seen so many "bad cuts" from receivers all season long that I've come to think that it's TA making the bad reads. It's happened with all the receivers. Another thing that I think a legitimate QB coach can fix.

100% correct. When every receiver is "not running the right route" we have to look at the one constant to explain the trend. TA. I hope he can fix it, and if not I hope the next man is ready.

I said earlier in the year that I thought we should eliminate or simplify our option routes because there just were too many times our QB and receiver did not see it the same way.

Kind of goes with a lot of Bo's program, a lot of things seemed like maybe they were too complicated. NFL influence maybe?

I also think the hurry up offense may have allowed him to get in a rhythm in the second half. Would have liked to see the hurry up more this season.

This has been more or less the cause all season, see the near comeback against Mich St. However, Beck has not been flexible enough to design his game plan to the strength of his playmakers or the team as a whole.

Just as said above….TA was horrible at times, with his decision making and throws…..BUT, he also made some great plays and decisions. He competed his butt off and that is what I respect. I am not sure that he will be the guy next year or not (my $ is on Stanton), but the best guy will win the job.

As far as stats, I would venture to guess that many of TA's passes were run/pass options, when he pulled ball from AA and threw quick out to WR, that got 5-6 YAC…. this is why his % was pretty good. His deep balls (beyond 15 yds) weren't very good. He did throw a nice struck to DPE to keep a drive alive late, but if you watch replay, he had 2 other guys "open", yet decide to throw into DPE, who had 4 USC defenders…..worked, yes, but not the best judgement.

The fact that USC dropped 4 "easy" picks even lets us have this conversation. If you add the picks, with the yards / scores that came after the potential picks, could have made TA the target of much ridicule today. In a way, he is very lucky. His decision (or Beck's call) at the end of the first half to roll right and throw a 2 yard "out route" back across the field to Carter may have been the worst call of the year. That ball is an easy pick 6 most of the time. One play doesn't win or lose a game, but coming away with at least 3 points there would have been nice, especially with the final outcome.

TA made some great option reads in the second half. Ran very well and threw some strikes. He play hard and we will wait to see you emerges in the Spring, but I am not getting overly "pumped" about the one game performance last night, with all of the possibilities that kept his "stat" line pretty good.

The QB is the most important piece of Riley's offense. And typically all successful teams. I'm still not convinced that TA is the right guy. But I haven't seen anything else we have to compare him with. I used to be hopeful with him, not so much anymore. I'm guessing he will have the edge going forward, but thinking it will be open competition. If no one can do better, than I wonder what the heck is going on with QB depth. Riley and staff will have lots of work ahead of them.

I am happy that this multiple mumbo jumbo style of offense will be flushed and a new system will be implemented.

Development of QBs has been nonexistant at NU since Pelini's staff showed up in 2008. Actually, development at every position has left a lot to be desired. I'm excited to see what Riley and his staff can do with their reputation for developing players.

At this point, I think it's unfair to judge TA's future based on these last two years. He's got a lot of potential and has shown great competitiveness and leadership. Better development could make him a star.

Beck's game plan of two runs into the middle of the line, long pass, punt basically shows why he'll be calling plays at a middle school in Montana next year.

You keep saying this over and over and over, but it makes no sense to anyone who actually watches the games.

Help me out: is Beck's tragic flaw that he runs a complicated offense and never sticks with what works, or that he sticks with a predictible run-first offense straight out of the 1950s?

You can't have it both ways.

Well I guess you can if you're really determined.

• Fire 1

Good stat, but I am not sure a single off season of coaching will fix his inaccuracy.

I disagree. More often than not he hurries and doesn't set his feet. I think TA has a ton of upside.

Those are only two of his many issues, but they are both larger problems than some realize. It takes a quarterback years (the ones who actually succeed) to get rid of the bad habits he displays. It is one thing to show progress on the practice field, but many revert back to poor passing mechanics during a game-speed enviornment. If USC didn't have a secondary with all thumbs, it would have been very ugly last night.

I hope Coach Riley does well, but many are already fooling themselves with what he can come in and do in a single season. Hopefully he starts with recruiting well because we simply don't have the talent to meet current expectations.

Beck's game plan of two runs into the middle of the line, long pass, punt basically shows why he'll be calling plays at a middle school in Montana next year.

You keep saying this over and over and over, but it makes no sense to anyone who actually watches the games.

Help me out: is Beck's tragic flaw that he runs a complicated offense and never sticks with what works, or that he sticks with a predictible run-first offense straight out of the 1950s?

You can't have it both ways.

Well I guess you can if you're really determined.

the problem as I see it is that we have a pass first guy that needs a smart, quick release type qb for his passing game and a head coach that wanted a carbon copy of Oregons offense. The latter is the type of players we recruited, but I don't feel like beck has the knack for the run that type of offense. We were a decently talented Oregon style team with a poor version of that system.