Coaches scuffle on the sidelines?

What evidence is there to support that the defensive line is good now, or ever has been strong? Probably the biggest group of under achievers on the team. I'm so tired of hearing how great Randy Gregory is. He did very little to stand out on the field. How so many of you let Mel Kiper tell you how good someone is playing is beyond me.

I think Gregory should come back, but if he doesn't I don't think it's a huge loss. He never quits on a play, but he has a long way to go.

• Fire 3

What evidence is there to support that the defensive line is good now, or ever has been strong? Probably the biggest group of under achievers on the team. I'm so tired of hearing how great Randy Gregory is. He did very little to stand out on the field. How so many of you let Mel Kiper tell you how good someone is playing is beyond me.

I think Gregory should come back, but if he doesn't I don't think it's a huge loss. He never quits on a play, but he has a long way to go.

Yeah he's a real scrub.........

I mean really?

Yeah he's a real scrub.........

I mean really?

He's a good player. Has a ton of ability and potential. I think his motor is unmatched. Like I said previuously, he never gives up on a play.

That being said, that video was two years of highlights. I bet someone could put together a similar one for Trevor Roach. Didn't see much more from him this year than we saw from the caveman.

• Fire 1

I'd say they are better since Meredith isn't required to play DT at 250 lbs. if you are strictly looking at sacks to judge your opinion of Gregory you are way off base. The fact coaches have to dedicate time to gameplan how they will cut, double, and chip him on all pass plays means he's a game changer

Yeah, that d-line was so good, they maybe got a hand on Gordon a few times as he galloped for 408. Forgetting the inadequacies of the other positions, the Nebraska defensive line was constantly blown off the ball, and double-teams created driveways for backs to waltz through. Hoping the next staff teaches the boys in red how to attack up front.

dude thats the scheme. Contain gaps. Gobble up blockers. Allow fir clean fits by the back 7. Their job is not to penetrate and disrupt.

Knock the scheme all you want. Lord knows i dont like it either. Id like to see more penetration and spilling to the sideline, which is what i expect under the new staff. But to say things like our line sucks cuz they didnt make tackles is an uneducated opinion that shows total lack of knowledge of the philosophy. We have 2 DTs requiring double teams. Thats using 4 blockers to wall off 2 guys. They did their jobs.

• Fire 1

Yeah, that d-line was so good, they maybe got a hand on Gordon a few times as he galloped for 408. Forgetting the inadequacies of the other positions, the Nebraska defensive line was constantly blown off the ball, and double-teams created driveways for backs to waltz through. Hoping the next staff teaches the boys in red how to attack up front.

dude thats the scheme. Contain gaps. Gobble up blockers. Allow fir clean fits by the back 7. Their job is not to penetrate and disrupt.

Knock the scheme all you want. Lord knows i dont like it either. Id like to see more penetration and spilling to the sideline, which is what i expect under the new staff. But to say things like our line sucks cuz they didnt make tackles is an uneducated opinion that shows total lack of knowledge of the philosophy. We have 2 DTs requiring double teams. Thats using 4 blockers to wall off 2 guys. They did their jobs.

You're right, I completely don't understand the philosophy. But, I never said they sucked. Seriously, though - Gordon goes for 408 and they did their jobs? I don't buy it.

You're right, I completely don't understand the philosophy. But, I never said they sucked. Seriously, though - Gordon goes for 408 and they did their jobs? I don't buy it.
75% of those yards dont happen if ghe back 7 fits and tackles properly. Same with the 2012 CCG. i have no problem saying that stafford and whaley alone were responsible for 350 yards and 35 points that night.

But again. I dont like the philosophy either. But it is what it is. And like anything, it works when done right. But its too streesful both mentally and physically on our back 7. We allow offenses to flow the play with zero disruption and play a contain style. Then add in the mental drain. Defense is a very aggresive position, yet weve been playing with a scheme that removes aggression and tenacity from the character.

With that said, again, the dline was pretty good this year. But our linebacker issues and secondary youth was severly exposed. And it was moreso by our own scheme. Not play of the opponents.

DL was one of our strongest positions, and he also had very good DL lines at Iowa (NFL guys). And people say he can't coach. Ah, yeah that makes sense.

If that werent absurd enough, Barney Cotton may have been the most hated coach here over the last few years, and now after the bowl performance, people are signing his praises.

The only thing that's consistent here is that some posters think they have all the answers.

You are missing many points.

The lines at Iowa haven't changed much since his departure and the ones here didn't get much better when he got here despite an upgrade in talent. (Collins + Gregory > Meredith + Steinkuhler) Moreover, saying the D line was one of the strongest positions on the team says more about how bad the other position groups are (e.g., LB, OL, QB) than how good the line was.

The praise for Cotton is that, in the role as a head coach, he showed poise and kept an even keel. Again, that says more about how sh**ty Pelini was than how good Cotton is. And there is no inconsistency in saying that Cotton is a terrible position coach, but a decent CEO-type. Frankly, I'm not surprised he might make a decent HC just as Pelini, though an abomination of a head coach, might be a decent DC under a head coach that can keep him appropriately muzzled.

If Kaz was such an awesome D-line coach, he would probably already have a job, if not here than elsewhere. He doesn't, even for the high school coach that's now leading the Running Rebels of UNLV with the assistance of Cotton and Garrison. Speaks volumes.

Also, the last line in your post can just as easily be said about yourself. chuckleshuffle

Let me summarize your post: all our position coaches suck, and so do the players that play under them.

Cotton, despite sucking, has poise.

Kaz is so bad he won't get a job, even working for a high school coach.

No, I'm not missing much (yes, I'll beat you to it: you will say I am), everybody and everyone sucks, and you have all the answers. Good to now. Now, I now who to call if I want all my questions answered.

Actually, I think the players are pretty good, with some rather notable exceptions. I think the coaches were holding the players back, not the other way around. There are serious athletes on both sides of the ball. The rest of your post is mostly spot on (Warren and Fisher seem like decent coaches and I thought the DBs and WRs played well for the most part).

SAN DIEGO — Even without the presence of Nebraska’s former coach, the Husker sideline was still a passionate place to be during Saturday’s Holiday Bowl.

Tempers flared in the first quarter between two assistant coaches. Defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski and defensive backs coach Charlton Warren got into a shouting match and had to be separated by players.

Kaczenski was upset with several players after they apparently weren’t properly positioned for a middle block on a USC kick.

At first, Kaczenski was making his point to linebacker Josh Banderas as he came off the field. Things really got heated when Kaczenski was trying to point out the mistake to cornerback Josh Mitchell.

Curse words were used by both coach and player, and Kaczenski walked away before coming back after the conversation continued. Warren tried to intervene on Mitchell’s behalf.

That’s when things escalated between the coaches, with both taking steps toward each other. Players stepped in to calm things down.

When interim head coach Barney Cotton became aware of what had happened, he came over and spoke to both coaches and Mitchell to calm things down. Mitchell eventually went over and shook hands with Kaczenski.

I can imagine how that conversation went (JM, RK, CW, BC):

RK: "JOSH!! WHY THE HELL WEREN'T YOU LINED UP PROPERLY ON THAT MIDDLE BLOCK?!?"

JM: "Coach Kaz, stop yelling at me. #iknowyoudidn't"

RK: "MITCHELL, PUT THAT @#$@#$@#$ PHONE AWAY AND STOP WITH THE TWEETING!!! GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!"

JM: "#helpmecoachwarren"

CW: "Coach Kaz, can we calm down? It's just a simple special teams..."

RK: "YOU SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE! YOU'RE STAYING, I HAVE TO GO FIND ANOTHER JOB, A**HOLE!"

CW: "lemme tell you something....I'm gonna bust your..."

JM: "#lordhavemercy"

BC: "You guys need to calm the hell down! How is this gonna look to the folks at UNLV for me?!? Now shake hands and make up!"

CW: "I ain't shaking his hand. In fact, I'm taking his office after the game. You'd better get your red streamline stapler, you joke."

RK: "@#$@#!#$@#$"

JM: "#handshakefistbump2Kaz"

• Fire 3

SAN DIEGO — Even without the presence of Nebraska’s former coach, the Husker sideline was still a passionate place to be during Saturday’s Holiday Bowl.

Tempers flared in the first quarter between two assistant coaches. Defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski and defensive backs coach Charlton Warren got into a shouting match and had to be separated by players.

Kaczenski was upset with several players after they apparently weren’t properly positioned for a middle block on a USC kick.

At first, Kaczenski was making his point to linebacker Josh Banderas as he came off the field. Things really got heated when Kaczenski was trying to point out the mistake to cornerback Josh Mitchell.

Curse words were used by both coach and player, and Kaczenski walked away before coming back after the conversation continued. Warren tried to intervene on Mitchell’s behalf.

That’s when things escalated between the coaches, with both taking steps toward each other. Players stepped in to calm things down.

When interim head coach Barney Cotton became aware of what had happened, he came over and spoke to both coaches and Mitchell to calm things down. Mitchell eventually went over and shook hands with Kaczenski.

I can imagine how that conversation went (JM, RK, CW, BC):

RK: "JOSH!! WHY THE HELL WEREN'T YOU LINED UP PROPERLY ON THAT MIDDLE BLOCK?!?"

JM: "Coach Kaz, stop yelling at me. #iknowyoudidn't"

RK: "MITCHELL, PUT THAT @#$@#$@#$ PHONE AWAY AND STOP WITH THE TWEETING!!! GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!"

JM: "#helpmecoachwarren"

CW: "Coach Kaz, can we calm down? It's just a simple special teams..."

RK: "YOU SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE! YOU'RE STAYING, I HAVE TO GO FIND ANOTHER JOB, A**HOLE!"

CW: "lemme tell you something....I'm gonna bust your..."

JM: "#lordhavemercy"

BC: "You guys need to calm the hell down! How is this gonna look to the folks at UNLV for me?!? Now shake hands and make up!"

CW: "I ain't shaking his hand. In fact, I'm taking his office after the game. You'd better get your red streamline stapler, you joke."

RK: "@#$@#!#$@#$"

JM: "#handshakefistbump2Kaz"

Late nominee for POTY.

75% of those yards dont happen if ghe back 7 fits and tackles properly. Same with the 2012 CCG. i have no problem saying that stafford and whaley alone were responsible for 350 yards and 35 points that night.

But again. I dont like the philosophy either. But it is what it is. And like anything, it works when done right. But its too streesful both mentally and physically on our back 7. We allow offenses to flow the play with zero disruption and play a contain style. Then add in the mental drain. Defense is a very aggresive position, yet weve been playing with a scheme that removes aggression and tenacity from the character.

With that said, again, the dline was pretty good this year. But our linebacker issues and secondary youth was severly exposed. And it was moreso by our own scheme. Not play of the opponents.

About the bolded, having an actual backup DT on the roster instead of sliding Meredith inside would have helped greatly.

My gut tells me Warren would have moved on in a year or two if it weren't for Bo being fired. Only Bo's "buddies" have stuck by him through the years and others don't have credentials to move on (I like Fisher and Ron Brown is a NU guy to and through).

Between incompetence and unflattering stories about some assistant coaches that are coming out, I have a change of opinion about Bo. Glad this ride is over and hope Riley can motivate the players to buy into his philosophy because I feel like for the most part the talent is there, but the players just need to be coached up.