The future for AA......

Comish

After watching Ameer in his last game, I am curious about the future for him…..?

No doubt he’ll be drafted, but how high and by what team are crucial.

I’d really hate to see him get the short shift like Rex who was drafted and not really ever used (rumor was Cincy drafted him to keep him away from rival Pitt); but then they continued to draft running backs every year since and he has struggled to see the field, in large part, due to the lineup of the team that drafted him.

I don’t think there is any question that AA is a better back and a better prospect then Rex, but, again, the question of “who” drafts him is critical.

Running Backs in the NFL seem to be losing cachet as an integral part of the system.

With all the money being paid to quarterbacks, receivers, defensive backs, and left tackles, the value of running backs is trending down. I can’t remember the exact statistics but I think I read a while ago that the average salary of backs is about ½ of what it was just 5 years ago. Teams don’t want to invest too much in a RB since the metric of value vs. investment is a factor and it seems as if there is a perception that there isn't really all that much difference in most backs; thus no premium because of supply and demand. Especially as compared to a franchise QB.

AA seems to have multiple assets …..yet none that probably reach ELITE status; he is fast, but not blazing; he is tough, but most RB’s are; he is shifty, makes great cuts, has great vision and a unique ability to make something out of nothing. He possesses great character and leadership. So while it’s tough to pinpoint ONE extremely unique asset as superior to all others, it appears that he has a plethora of outstanding traits to be a very valuable professional running back and teammate.

I will be very interested to see where he lands.

After watching Ameer in his last game, I am curious about the future for him…..?

No doubt he’ll be drafted, but how high and by what team are crucial.

I’d really hate to see him get the short shift like Rex who was drafted and not really ever used (rumor was Cincy drafted him to keep him away from rival Pitt); but then they continued to draft running backs every year since and he has struggled to see the field, in large part, due to the lineup of the team that drafted him.

I don’t think there is any question that AA is a better back and a better prospect then Rex, but, again, the question of “who” drafts him is critical.

Running Backs in the NFL seem to be losing cachet as an integral part of the system.

With all the money being paid to quarterbacks, receivers, defensive backs, and left tackles, the value of running backs is trending down. I can’t remember the exact statistics but I think I read a while ago that the average salary of backs is about ½ of what it was just 5 years ago. Teams don’t want to invest too much in a RB since the metric of value vs. investment is a factor and it seems as if there is a perception that there isn't really all that much difference in most backs; thus no premium because of supply and demand. Especially as compared to a franchise QB.

AA seems to have multiple assets …..yet none that probably reach ELITE status; he is fast, but not blazing; he is tough, but most RB’s are; he is shifty, makes great cuts, has great vision and a unique ability to make something out of nothing. He possesses great character and leadership. So while it’s tough to pinpoint ONE extremely unique asset as superior to all others, it appears that he has a plethora of outstanding traits to be a very valuable professional running back and teammate.

I will be very interested to see where he lands.

yup. he is just another fish in the NFL pond.........but he is a damn good one.

Ameer could end up at any team in the NFL. He won't go in the first round, and probably not the first day. So every team will have a couple of chances to draft him. I'm guessing he'll have a career about like Rex. Or maybe a bit better. He'll make a roster somewhere.

Talking to a buddy of mine the other night we both thought he'd be awesome to see in the Eagles offense.

Most anybody is going to be lucky to have him. I figured as a Broncos fan I'd love to see him at Denver but I'm just not sure his size would lend to pass protecting for Manning.

I hate to say it, but he'd be a wicked compliment in Seattles offense.

2nd - 4th rounder. Clearly a better prospect than Rex, little smaller but quicker than Helu (although Roy ran a great combine 40 time), if he runs a fast 40 he should be a 2nd-3rd if it's just okay he's probably a 4th at the latest.

He is not a bell cow back but most teams are interested in committees with guys who can run and catch like Ameer. He will be drafted at a respectable slot and will have an active NFL future.

I don't think he is a better prospect than Rex was, mainly due to the NFL's infatuation with numbers. Mostly size and speed. Ameer isn't a burner and he's pretty small.

Being the 5th rated running back doesn't mean a whole lot anymore as they aren't drafted nearly as high anymore. I think someone who uses the back out of the backfield, ie Darren Sproles or Danny Woodhead, will find him appealing. But so many top NFL backs were not highly drafted, they kind of come out of nowhere, that a lot of teams won't spend a high pick on a back.

But like Rex, he would be a great guy to have on your team. He won't embarrass your organization.

• Fire 1

Ameer will be a feature back somewhere. He has the athleticism, the desire, & the toughness. I hope Baltimore drafts him. I was so butthurt they didn't take Lavonte, drafting Ameer totally make up for it & then some

I actually like him as a comp to Justin Forsett of Baltimore. Similar players, Ameer has a little more power..