Could Gerry move to LB?

chamrocck

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

How much of that was from the system though? We had the same problems at LB and with corners for years now. Nate can run with anybody. The only person I've ever seen out run him was that #2 for USC the other night. I don't think he lacks lateral speed either, it's just being out of position or thinking too much that makes him look slow and he usually compensates for that. He was a much more dependable safety than Cooper was, and a better athlete too.

Not saying I'd move him...just bringing up the topic for discussion. USC was clearly faster...and Melvin Gordon says hello. In the section I was in if Husker fans wanted to blame a bad offensive series the blame went to TA. If they wanted to blame a bad defensive series the blame went to Gerry. Some were calling him Pat Ricketts which got some laughs. Not saying either are right but this was the vibe from the bowl game. I like the kid...but I don't think he is speedy fast/quick...maybe against most BIG teams but not against the type of speed that USC, Oregon, FSU, 'Bama, and tOSU have.

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

How much of that was from the system though? We had the same problems at LB and with corners for years now. Nate can run with anybody. The only person I've ever seen out run him was that #2 for USC the other night. I don't think he lacks lateral speed either, it's just being out of position or thinking too much that makes him look slow and he usually compensates for that. He was a much more dependable safety than Cooper was, and a better athlete too.

Not saying I'd move him...just bringing up the topic for discussion. USC was clearly faster...and Melvin Gordon says hello. In the section I was in if Husker fans wanted to blame a bad offensive series the blame went to TA. If they wanted to blame a bad defensive series the blame went to Gerry. Some were calling him Pat Ricketts which got some laughs. Not saying either are right but this was the vibe from the bowl game. I like the kid...but I don't think he is speedy fast/quick...maybe against most BIG teams but not against the type of speed that USC, Oregon, FSU, 'Bama, and tOSU have.

The people you sat with are dolts. You must be the only person who doesn't think he's fast.

What the?

Melvin Gordon says hello?

Firstly, within the system that Bo had in place, Gerry shouldn't have been making plays. He shouldn't have been chasing down Gordon. The blame for Gordon running on us does NOT fall on a free safety forced to and saving TD's. You really think our inability to defend the edges on an oustide the tackle run by Gordon (or anyone) is solely placed on one guy?

Too many times this season, we saw Gerry making plays, when he had to. And often he did.

Saw this during the game and couldn't agree with it more.

#FlawedScheme RT @eyeformation: At times it looks like the whole play is dependent on Gerry making a tackle...if he doesn't, it is gone...

What the?

Firstly, within the system that Bo had in place, Gerry shouldn't have been making plays. He shouldn't have been chasing down Gordon. The blame for Gordon running on us does NOT fall on a free safety forced to and saving TD's. You really think our inability to defend the edges on an oustide the tackle run by Gordon (or anyone) is solely placed on one guy?

Too many times this season, we saw Gerry making plays, when he had to. And often he did.

#FlawedScheme RT @eyeformation: At times it looks like the whole play is dependent on Gerry making a tackle...if he doesn't, it is gone...

Agree that the defensive breakdown against Wisconsin does not fall on Gerry. But the post had to do with no one being able to outrun / be faster than Gerry this year except #2 on USC. That is too much :koolaid2: IMO. If we want to win BIG we are going to need more speed at several positions IMO. USC was good but they are rebuilding and still their speed was much better and deeper than ours Sat. night.

What the?

Agree that the defensive breakdown against Wisconsin does not fall on Gerry. But the post had to do with no one being able to outrun / be faster than Gerry this year except #2 on USC. That is too much :koolaid2:IMO. If we want to win BIG we are going to need more speed at several positions IMO. USC was good but they are rebuilding and still their speed was much better and deeper than ours Sat. night.

I'm not saying he's the fastest safety in the nation, I'm saying he's got great speed back there and he can chase down the vast majority of players. A safety with his speed just needs to take the right angle and he's going to make the play. There aren't many safeties in college football flying around the filed like him. That's not koolaid, it's the truth.

What the?

Agree that the defensive breakdown against Wisconsin does not fall on Gerry. But the post had to do with no one being able to outrun / be faster than Gerry this year except #2 on USC. That is too much :koolaid2:IMO. If we want to win BIG we are going to need more speed at several positions IMO. USC was good but they are rebuilding and still their speed was much better and deeper than ours Sat. night.

I'm not saying he's the fastest safety in the nation, I'm saying he's got great speed back there and he can chase down the vast majority of players. A safety with his speed just needs to take the right angle and he's going to make the play. There aren't many safeties in college football flying around the filed like him. That's not koolaid, it's the truth.

What the?

Agree that the defensive breakdown against Wisconsin does not fall on Gerry. But the post had to do with no one being able to outrun / be faster than Gerry this year except #2 on USC. That is too much :koolaid2: IMO. If we want to win BIG we are going to need more speed at several positions IMO. USC was good but they are rebuilding and still their speed was much better and deeper than ours Sat. night.

Agree 100% regarding Gerry. If not for Gerry, Gordon would have had 500 yards and the score would have been worse. Too often during the season, Gerry saved the D from shear disaster - because of our failure to stop the run in front of him, -- he had to become the 'stopper'. No way he should have been in that position so many times. We see the weakness of Bo's system. The D line was to create havoc and contain the blocking so that the linebackers could be the stoppers. But wtout a SUH type player in front (Granted Collins and VV are going to be great players - and Gregory was too often doubled teamed - and is not a SUH or a John Kennedy (got to be old to get that one) ) the linebackers have got to be pretty outstanding. They weren't - the LBs were the weakest part of the team. Thus we have Gerry chasing down RBs from the safety spot. Not good.

Gerry should be a 2x All-American at safety by the time he is done. We'll see him in the NFL.

So you're saying we need to get Usain Bolt to play safety for us. Got it.

• Fire 1

What the?

45]

pXQnQz7B_bigger.pngMike Welch@RealMikeWelch

I remember twice, maybe even a 3rd, where Gerry chased down Gordon from behind.

Most of Nate Gerry's "problems" can be explained by remembering he's a sophomore and he played an entire year out of position last year.

Charlie McBride made hay moving Safeties to Linebacker, increasing speed all over the field. But that won't be effective in Gerry's case - he's already here, already on the field for us. Moving him now is a zero sum proposition for the defense, at least speed-wise.