Les Miles happy

tmfr15

Caught a bit during the LSU vs. Notre Dame game where the announcers were talking about Miles and his reaction to the hire at Michigan.

Miles was quoted as saying that he was happy that Michigan hired JH because it was a signal that they were serious about winning and were no longer simply counting on the Michigan brand and all it represents to make a difference.

Miles said schools have to invest in getting the best coaches in order to be the best.

I couldn't help but think.... Is Nebraska counting on the brand name and all it represents to make the difference? Do you have to go out and spend a mint in order to make a program into a winner.

We got MR on bargain basement and it doesn't seem like we are breaking the bank for assistants.

Thoughts?

Riley may have been a bargain...but a bargain implies you got value for your money.

I personally think Riley and the staff he is putting together is an upgrade and I truly believe NU will have one of the better coaching staffs in the B1G next year. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'm drinking the Big Red Koolaide....but I am just very pleased with everything I've seen from Riley so far.

Caught a bit during the LSU vs. Notre Dame game where the announcers were talking about Miles and his reaction to the hire at Michigan.

Miles was quoted as saying that he was happy that Michigan hired JH because it was a signal that they were serious about winning and were no longer simply counting on the Michigan brand and all it represents to make a difference.

Miles said schools have to invest in getting the best coaches in order to be the best.

I couldn't help but think.... Is Nebraska counting on the brand name and all it represents to make the difference? Do you have to go out and spend a mint in order to make a program into a winner.

We got MR on bargain basement and it doesn't seem like we are breaking the bank for assistants.

Thoughts?

only time will tell......look at Kiffin reinventing himself with Saban at Alabama.........he will be the next rehab hire in a couple years.....we went shopping at Walmart in the coaches isle.......Ohio State and now Michigan went to Macy;s......i hope the hell this works out for us, but it looks like we will be playing second fiddle to Meyer and JH...they will get top recruits and damn good position coaches too....especially JH.....he will get what/whoever he wants!

• Fire 3

The espn article gave Nebraska a C+ grade for hiring Riley, behind Michigan, Pitt, Houston, SMU, Wisconsin, Oregon State, Florida and Kansas on their grades. It's an insider article so I can't quote it.

I'd like to see them re-evaluate those grades after the end of the 2015 season and even the 2016 season to see which coach panned out the best

Thoughts?

only time will tell......look at Kiffin reinventing himself with Saban at Alabama.........he will be the next rehab hire in a couple years.....we went shopping at Walmart in the coaches isle.......Ohio State and now Michigan went to Macy;s......i hope the hell this works out for us, but it looks like we will be playing second fiddle to Meyer and JH...they will get top recruits and damn good position coaches too....especially JH.....he will get what/whoever he wants!

God...I hate this...mostly because I agree with it.

My wonder/concern is this...will NU finish in the top 3 in Big Ten recruiting...ohhhhh at least 1 out of every 2 years? I am going to start a thread on this...

Oh and before anyone comes in saying you don't have to spend a mint and can get bargains. I say you get what you pay for and if resources aren't an issue you go out and get the best money can buy. Regardless of whether a buyout is going to be heavy in the future..why...because resources are not an issue and that thought shouldn't cross your mind. You are investing in the future of your brand, f'ing act like it.

• Fire 1

Jim Harbaugh went to Michigan. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State. In my opinion, the alma mater card was the tipping point for both of these guys. Money certainly must be right, but I don't think Harbaugh would've gone just anywhere, and same for Meyer. If any of you can name a hot name proven head coach that just happens to be a Nebraska alum, let me know, and I'll join you in crucifying the administration for being cheap.

• Fire 1

Do you think Les was happy after the game? I mean, good god - great for Michigan but honestly how do we know Harbaugh is going to be any better than Riley? Is it really having balls, or stupidity - we won't know for a while.

As someone mentioned above, why don't we wait a couple years before we burn down Memorial Stadium and call it quits? I'm so tired seeing people write the team off for the next few years because of this hire. No one knows whether or not this will be a bad, decent, or exceptional hire. I can tell you one thing, no one will fess up to ripping the hire if Riley returns us to the promise land.

Jim Harbaugh went to Michigan. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State. In my opinion, the alma mater card was the tipping point for both of these guys. Money certainly must be right, but I don't think Harbaugh would've gone just anywhere, and same for Meyer. If any of you can name a hot name proven head coach that just happens to be a Nebraska alum, let me know, and I'll join you in crucifying the administration for being cheap.

It might have been the tipping point...but you never know until you ask!