Les Miles happy

tmfr15

God I hate the off season and all of this, "Oh jeez look at this is this enough, is this going to help us and make us better so I can pound my chest and scream we are the greatest again" people.

Can we at least agree to give Riley a year or two? Huh? I know in today's football era, fans expect instant gratification for any move made, or for that fact in society in general. But good god give it a rest and some time.

I know there isn't much to do, but whining about a very sub-par Michigan team getting what looks to be a bit of a cry baby coach that went there is not that impressive to me.

Know what the "ALL MIGHTY AND GREAT HARBAUGH" did at 4 years in Stamford? 29–21! That is 3 years of crap and one, ONE 12-1 season. Then he flew the coup cause he wanted to and STILL wants to win a SB.

So to think that we need to worry about what he is going to do...please forgive me if I'm not concerned with a coach that might, MIGHT make it 3 years there before bolting back to the NFL.

Do people actually think that NU had a chance to get Harbaugh?

And if the 9ers win a couple more games this year (they lost to the Bears and Raiders!) they are in the playoffs and Harbaugh isn't in Ann Arbor.

It's not that we had a chance, many wanted the new HC hiring to be a "WOW", not a "meh"...

This. A hire that had people talking about the bold move or move towards getting NU back. Not a quick check of Wikipedia, not hearing how nice he is etc....

When Callahan was hired, I was livid, because I knew, after seeing what he'd done to my Raiders, he'd hurt the program. Bo was hired, almost everyone was excited because he'd been here before, and he wasn't Clownahan. Now they hire Riley, who most of us, when he was hired almost immediately said, "who?"...

This almost seems like a hire that was based on the fact that they didn't know who else they could get, so they got Riley. And if this guy falls flat on his ass, which I hope he doesn't, everyone can say "at least he was nicer than Bo"...

That's what I wonder. How did Reilly even get on the radar. Was it another, sh!t, we fired a guy and my short list all said no?

ADSE had him on a list from 2005 when he was at South Carolina and they were looking for a coach.

Where do people get this crap that "everyone turned us down so we ended up with Riley"? He was SE's #1 target. Do you think SE could have named a coach in 4 days if he was being turned down left and right?

By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach.

"Trusted sources" and electronic research helped confirm Eichorst's beliefs about Riley. Eichorst did not check with an intermediary. He did not ask permission of Riley's athletic director at Oregon State.

"I recruited my tail off like I've never done before," he said.

Eichorst made the phone call at noon Monday. Their conversation lasted about 30 minutes. Riley showed interest and said he was recruiting in San Francisco.

Minutes after the call ended, Eichorst phoned Perlman, still in the Bay Area but set to fly to Denver in a few hours and stay over before a return to Lincoln on Tuesday to celebrate his wife's birthday.

Eichorst asked Perlman to remain out West.

"I knew what direction Shawn was taking," Perlman said.

Eichorst, after the call to Perlman, booked a ticket to San Francisco. He drove to the Lincoln airport and waited through an hour-long delay.

So the most scrutinized man in Nebraska waited in the lobby, dressed in jeans and a Senior U.S. Open baseball cap -- details reported by the Omaha World-Herald -- and nearly missed his connection in Denver.

Upon arrival in California, Eichorst took a cab to the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. It was after midnight, and he was set to meet Riley at the hotel at 8 a.m. on Tuesday.

They talked most of the morning in Eichorst's room. First, it was just the two of them. Perlman joined the discussion around 9. When the conversation ended, Riley left.

Eichorst looked at Perlman. "I think this is our guy," Eichorst said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12009292/behind-scenes-quiet-search-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers

I don't believe this story but if it is true it is even a bit more of a worry...lets face it...SE knew for sure he could get Riley if he wanted him (I think it is safe to assume that he knew no other schools were going after him a month ago, we can probably agree on that)

So...if you have that coach in your back pocket...why not take a quick shot and see what else is out there? Hell when I buy a freaking TV I check two stores or a few websites...same with a phone or a laptop...but SE did not check out anyone else when making the biggest move of his career? Not one other person? Not one phone call to an agent or a friend in the AD world to ask about other coaches?

We could have swung big for Patterson, Briles or whoever else some think would be a "splash" hire but we would have missed. A lot of these big name coaches have been courted and all of them have stayed at their schools. Patterson was offered the Texas job last year and turned it down, same with Briles.

Some would consider Dan Mullen a splash hire but his resume isn't any better then Rileys. Both took over a sh**ty program and have turned things around.

• Fire 1

And if the 9ers win a couple more games this year (they lost to the Bears and Raiders!) they are in the playoffs and Harbaugh isn't in Ann Arbor.

It's not that we had a chance, many wanted the new HC hiring to be a "WOW", not a "meh"...

This. A hire that had people talking about the bold move or move towards getting NU back. Not a quick check of Wikipedia, not hearing how nice he is etc....

When Callahan was hired, I was livid, because I knew, after seeing what he'd done to my Raiders, he'd hurt the program. Bo was hired, almost everyone was excited because he'd been here before, and he wasn't Clownahan. Now they hire Riley, who most of us, when he was hired almost immediately said, "who?"...

This almost seems like a hire that was based on the fact that they didn't know who else they could get, so they got Riley. And if this guy falls flat on his ass, which I hope he doesn't, everyone can say "at least he was nicer than Bo"...

That's what I wonder. How did Reilly even get on the radar. Was it another, sh!t, we fired a guy and my short list all said no?

ADSE had him on a list from 2005 when he was at South Carolina and they were looking for a coach.

Where do people get this crap that "everyone turned us down so we ended up with Riley"? He was SE's #1 target. Do you think SE could have named a coach in 4 days if he was being turned down left and right?

By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach.

"Trusted sources" and electronic research helped confirm Eichorst's beliefs about Riley. Eichorst did not check with an intermediary. He did not ask permission of Riley's athletic director at Oregon State.

Eichorst made the phone call at noon Monday. Their conversation lasted about 30 minutes. Riley showed interest and said he was recruiting in San Francisco.

Minutes after the call ended, Eichorst phoned Perlman, still in the Bay Area but set to fly to Denver in a few hours and stay over before a return to Lincoln on Tuesday to celebrate his wife's birthday.

Eichorst, after the call to Perlman, booked a ticket to San Francisco. He drove to the Lincoln airport and waited through an hour-long delay.

So the most scrutinized man in Nebraska waited in the lobby, dressed in jeans and a Senior U.S. Open baseball cap -- details reported by the Omaha World-Herald -- and nearly missed his connection in Denver.

Upon arrival in California, Eichorst took a cab to the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. It was after midnight, and he was set to meet Riley at the hotel at 8 a.m. on Tuesday.

They talked most of the morning in Eichorst's room. First, it was just the two of them. Perlman joined the discussion around 9. When the conversation ended, Riley left.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12009292/behind-scenes-quiet-search-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers

I have no idea what you're arguing against. It was asked where ADSE came up with Riley. I responeded with exactly what you quoted. So I guess we agree.

I just look at it like this...

It is literally impossible to tell the future and see how a hire will turn out, but what is the best predictor of the future? The past is, even though it's not a guarantee.

Harbaugh's past- taking Stanford from bad to orange bowl winners, taking an NFL team from bad to conference champions and Super Bowl appearances.

Riley's past- taking an abysmal program to an average at best program an failing as an NFL coach. He did have success in the CFL, for whatever that is worth.

Riley very well may outperform Harbaugh, bit if you were laying money down, who would you bet wins a Big Ten Title first? I question your judgment if you would put money down on Riley.

Obviously, we had no shot at Harbaugh, but I believe the Nebraska brand is enough to bring in a coach that has a resume closer to Harbaugh's than Riley, especially if "resources are not an issue" as Eichorst proclaimed. (Starting to question that statement)

Saban says hi.

• Fire 1

I have no idea what you're arguing against. It was asked where ADSE came up with Riley. I responeded with exactly what you quoted. So I guess we agree.

Sorry. Probably shouldn't have quoted your post as my response wasn't meant for you.

Anyways, all the "wow" hire discussion would have been moot if SE had fired Bo after the 2013 Iowa game. Then we would have got Chris Peterson and and everyone would have been happy (at least thats what my mind tells me).

Don't listen. What if is always conjecture and just the BS side of your brain talking.

T_O_B

I am fed up with people posting that Nebraska isn't a top HC job and top coaches wouldn't come here? That is unfounded and quite frankly ( | )-a-9.

Aside from the recruiting hardships Nebraska faces, which I believe aren't impossible to overcome, the Nebraska job most certainly is a top 5 gig!

It all comes down to the bottom line, which is $. We have it, we MUST use it!

I like Mike Riley and have zero negative to say about him as a HC and will support him until he gives me a reason not to! I hope to God he works out for us and is in the playoff hunt every year. I would like nothing more than to see the AD having to re-new his contract every other year in order to keep him happy because he's winning so much!

GBR!

I don't care about if our program isn't considered a "top job" or our national perception isn't what it used to be.

You go out find guys that can play defense, get some road graders up front, you run the ball, mix in some play action, and you knock the crap out of your opponent. Things after that will take care of themselves...

• Fire 1

Has Nebraska really EVER made a splash hire? Devaney and Osborne weren't splash hires, but they built a "splash" program together. We need this group of coaches, starting with Riley, that can rebuild the legacy as it should be and continue it by passing the torch within the program as it was done 40 years ago. It can be done and i hope this is just the beginning.

I don't care about if our program isn't considered a "top job" or our national perception isn't what it used to be.

You go out find guys that can play defense, get some road graders up front, you run the ball, mix in some play action, and you knock the crap out of your opponent. Things after that will take care of themselves...

Yep. We start winning and quit sh!tting our pants on national tv, things will work themselves out. Get a system and an identity on both sides of the ball, a system and method to get it and a program wide buy in and we will be relevant soon enough.

Again on espn this morning, the announcers commented on the systems of Saban and Meyer and how effective it was as it was defined and developed......not multiple.

I think we can all agree on the above!

It will be interesting to see how fast Jim can turn around a struggling Michigan program. Also curious to see if he has the heart to do it. It kind of seems that he only took the Michigan job because there was no other offers from the NFL.

You can't follow the NFL very much if you think JH wouldn't be on the short list of desired candidates by every pro team with a vacancy.