SEC my a$$

Here is an idea what about doing the first rounds to kick off the bowl season. So on Dec. 20th would be the first round games would be the #6 vs #3 and #5 vs #4. Then on Jan 1st have the semi-final games with the winner of the first rounders with the #1 and #2 seeds. Then have the Championship game on Jan 12th. Just a thought. :dunno

Been saying this for years.

The issue is that the lower seeds have just had a game to knock off the rust, while the upper seeds haven't played since their CCG's weeks earlier. I see that as a problem.

Byes are a way of rewarding the top teams with an extra week to rest and prepare. In this example, byes actually hurt the top teams by forcing them into a long layoff and then having to play a team that hasn't had that long layoff. This could work if they rolled right into the playoffs immediately after the regular season. Then the bye would work in the top teams' favor as it should.

I'm shocked that this hasn't been said yet:

Alabama was beaten by a 3rd string QB and if I'm not mistaken, this was his 2nd game that he started and played thru.

That tells a lot about how Urban trains his QBs. I am hoping Riley will be able to do the same.

Yeah, man. Kill might think about mailing his trophy to Urb.

Kentucky says "we" when referring to the SEC, so does Bama.

I agree with Polo, one reason people hate the SEC is bc of their stupid chant. If each team would just chant for themselves, there wouldnt nearly be this much hatred for them.

OSU won last night. Not Nebraska, not Michigan, not anyone else from the B1G. Yeah, it makes the B1G look better for all those teams, but if OSU wins you wont see me saying "we" won the NC just bc Nebraska is in the B1G. Thats what SEC fans from other schools do when an SEC team wins the natty.

• Fire 1

I agree with Polo, one reason people hate the SEC is bc of their stupid chant. If each team would just chant for themselves, there wouldnt nearly be this much hatred for them.

OSU won last night. Not Nebraska, not Michigan, not anyone else from the B1G. Yeah, it makes the B1G look better for all those teams, but if OSU wins you wont see me saying "we" won the NC just bc Nebraska is in the B1G. Thats what SEC fans from other schools do when an SEC team wins the natty.

I'm much more interested in Nebraska's future than the Big Ten's as a whole. But like it or not we carry the B1G banner now. Happy to see a conference mate succeed.

It might be a stretch but you bet your bottom dollar if tOSU wins the Playoffs, our coaches will say "Come to the Big Ten, we won the first playoff ever!" Kentucky, Vandy, Georgia, LSU all spout off about the SEC during recruiting. It would be nice that we could do the same.

I'm much more interested in Nebraska's future than the Big Ten's as a whole. But like it or not we carry the B1G banner now. Happy to see a conference mate succeed.

It might be a stretch but you bet your bottom dollar if tOSU wins the Playoffs, our coaches will say "Come to the Big Ten, we won the first playoff ever!" Kentucky, Vandy, Georgia, LSU all spout off about the SEC during recruiting. It would be nice that we could do the same.

Should be able to sell Nebraska without needing to bring up the B1G at all. We got enough of our own accomplishments that we dont need to be stealing OSU's and calling them ours bc they are in our same conference. A lot of the schools in the SEC such as Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St. cannot do that, so they take Bama being good as an opportunity to pump up their own brand. With that being said, go ducks!

Should be able to sell Nebraska without needing to bring up the B1G at all. We got enough of our own accomplishments that we dont need to be stealing OSU's and calling them ours bc they are in our same conference. A lot of the schools in the SEC such as Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St. cannot do that, so they take Bama being good as an opportunity to pump up their own brand. With that being said, go ducks!

I agree with your theory, but kids being recruited were 2-3 years old the last time we "did something" and all we did that year was get demolished in the National Championship. It's hard to sell them stuff they weren't alive for. We don't need OhioSt to win so we can throw the "we" are Champs card...we need OhioSt, MichST, Mich, Wisky, PennSt to get back to national relevance so we can throw the play in a big time game week in and week out card that ALL the SEC schools play.

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given “validation” due to A&M’s blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterday’s 2 games show how flawed this system was, and there’s little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the “SEC fatigue” excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think you’ll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

This is about as well articulated as possible. Kudos !

The elevation of both Mississippi Schools to #1 early in the season based solely on perception and ESPN hype was about as bad as it has ever been.

Paul Finnebaum should be forced to gargle with reality soap and contractually obligated to view other conference matchups on TV for an entire year.

agree, espn sucked off the SEC and looked like fools....

It will definitely be interesting to see how they twist what happened during the bowl season this year to save face.

This bowl season was probably one of the best...I wish our Huskers would have won to help the case.

Unfortunately our Huskers did lose, but they made it one hell of a game, didn't get embarrassed and came close to possibly winning. Watching the SEC get exposed was a thing of beauty. The BIG as a whole did a lot better than most thought they would have; as much as it hurts me to say it, I hope Ohio St. wins it all.

I'm shocked that this hasn't been said yet:

Alabama was beaten by a 3rd string QB and if I'm not mistaken, this was his 2nd game that he started and played thru.

That tells a lot about how Urban trains his QBs. I am hoping Riley will be able to do the same.

I get your point, and big ups to Ohio St's coaches for QB development and offensive play. However, I have heard Tom Herman getting a lot of credit for the Buckeye Offense.

Maybe try for a 6 team playoff. Now that would be fun to watch.

No way 6!!! Idiotic idea!!! 6 does not make a bracket, it has to go to 8. Why would you want to have two bye's. You have been watching Dumb and Dumber way too often.

T_O_B

I'm still on the 6 team playoff train. It's not a bad idea to allow the top two teams an extra week off. It gets all 5 power five champs in and the best other team out there.

With that said, I'm leaning towards 8 each day, just for competitions sake.

The problem is it's not an extra week because of the schedule. The #3-#6 seeds would probably get two weeks between games then two weeks before the semi-finals. The #1 and #2 seeds would still have an entire month off. That's pretty unbalanced.

I think we go with 8 teams, but use the same schedule, no reason to have the bye for anyone.