Bo's Hires vs. Riley's Hires By the Numbers

Why is expierence the rallying cry for every Riley hire? Experience should just be one factor in a hire, along with past success, potential, etc.

Just because somebody has coached 30 years does not make them a great or even good coach.

Also, for a bunch of people that say "Bo is no longer our coach, move on", people seem to compare every Riley hire to Bo's coach at the same spot. Kind of funny.

100's of NFL and NCAA coaches and assistant coaches consider Mike Riley a good or great coach. Many of them came out publicly and touted him as a great hire for NU immediately after we got him.

Sorry bud, but their opinion means more to me than yours.

• Fire 1

Why is expierence the rallying cry for every Riley hire? Experience should just be one factor in a hire, along with past success, potential, etc.

Just because somebody has coached 30 years does not make them a great or even good coach.

Also, for a bunch of people that say "Bo is no longer our coach, move on", people seem to compare every Riley hire to Bo's coach at the same spot. Kind of funny.

100's of NFL and NCAA coaches and assistant coaches consider Mike Riley a good or great coach. Many of them came out publicly and touted him as a great hire for NU immediately after we got him.

Sorry bud, but their opinion means more to me than yours.

Read again. I said Every Riley hire, not Eichorst's hire of Riley. Talking about position coaches here, bud.

Anyways, name one hire in the last 20 years and show me coaches that came out publicly and said it was a bad hire. They literally 100% of the time say it's a great hire. They don't publicly bash people in their own industry and potential co workers. I think Riley can be good, but I put no stock in other coaches public statements.

Valid point, bud.

Regardless of what anyone says publicly, regarding Riley and his assistants, I can't imagine you get hired as many places as all of them have both NFL and NCAA if you are regarded anything but a good/great coach.

This is really an opportunity for them now though. The resources and commitment to success at Nebraska is something most of these guys aren't used to. The overall experience will be a plus, but we don't know how it will pay off.

I do get what you're saying though.

Read again. I said Every Riley hire, not Eichorst's hire of Riley. Talking about position coaches here, bud.

Anyways, name one hire in the last 20 years and show me coaches that came out publicly and said it was a bad hire. They literally 100% of the time say it's a great hire. They don't publicly bash people in their own industry and potential co workers. I think Riley can be good, but I put no stock in other coaches public statements.

I remember there being plenty of negativity around Jim Mora Jr. when he was hired at UCLA. I remember reading through the LA Time's stuff prior to our matchup in 2012. Whoever their big writer guy is, I can't remember his name now, wrote a crazy negative article about the guy. They just beat Rice, so there's that... Anyway, funny how that worked out.

Also, I read a couple article questioning Charlie Weis hire at Kansas.

I can't find any of those now of course. Convenient for me huh? But none the less, there has been negative outlooks on some hires.

I don't think Beck was a weak link. In fact, Bo very well may not have survived the 2011 + 2012 seasons without making the move to Beck.

I kind of fell off the Tim Beck wagon this season, after a long time of thinking he showed a lot of promise, it just wasn't fully realized for whatever reason. After the Holiday Bowl I just sort of felt like maybe Bo was holding him back. I dunno, maybe he would disagree with me, but I wasn't surprised he has no desire to follow Bo back home.

• Fire 1

Yeah and all those years of experience and still no major titles......hmmmm

In that case Jerry Kill and his coaching staff suck too.

no argument here......

Those magical 8 wins seasons that Kill keeps getting!

He had to play TCU and Ohio State this year and beat us head to head with much lesser talent. If he's in Lincoln he wins 10 or higher.

• Fire 3

I remember there being plenty of negativity around Jim Mora Jr. when he was hired at UCLA. I remember reading through the LA Time's stuff prior to our matchup in 2012. Whoever their big writer guy is, I can't remember his name now, wrote a crazy negative article about the guy. They just beat Rice, so there's that... Anyway, funny how that worked out.

I can't find any of those now of course. Convenient for me huh? But none the less, there has been negative outlooks on some hires.

As to the highlighted red above.

I felt the Weis hire was possibly the worst hire of the last few years when it happened.

He and his PR team transformed his performance as OC with great athletes in a great system at New England into his own hype of being able to "out-scheme" anyone.

When he couldn't get it down with superior talent at Notre Dame......Kansas reached for the infamous "SPLASH" name and got what they deserved.

That's why I have been at friendly odds with a few on this board who seem so enamored of a "Name" and expecting a "SPLASH" in order to have our situation be a successful hire.

no argument here......
Mike Riley coached 4 years in the CFL. He won the whole damn thing twice and lost in the Eastern finals the 2 yesrs that he didn't win it all. He was Coach of the Year twice. That's 4 pretty damned good seasons of coaching. How effin difficult is it for people around here to wrap their minds around these simple facts? Good lord. Give the guy some credit.

As a Bears fan, I can tell you success in Canada does not always transfer to the states and shouldn't be lauded.

no argument here......
Mike Riley coached 4 years in the CFL. He won the whole damn thing twice and lost in the Eastern finals the 2 yesrs that he didn't win it all. He was Coach of the Year twice. That's 4 pretty damned good seasons of coaching. How effin difficult is it for people around here to wrap their minds around these simple facts? Good lord. Give the guy some credit.
As a Bears fan, I can tell you success in Canada does not always transfer to the states and shouldn't be lauded.
I kind of feel bad for Trestman. Cutler is a train wreck. I guess he did little to mitigate that, though.

no argument here......

Chicago is in Canada?

• Fire 1

Read again.

You are mentioning articles written by journalists. They know as much about football as you and me.

We were talking about fellow coaches.

But you hear plenty of anonymous coach comments, and plenty of those can be negative. I have yet to hear anything like that about Riley. I have read where a PAC12 coach said their job just go easier. And when ESPN polled the FBS head coaches, Riley was ranked the #2 most under rated coach, right behind Cutcliffe.