GT: Nebraska at Iowa - 8PM - BTN

We don't run an offense. Our "offense" is one guy dribbling, one guy coming to set a ball screen and the other three guys standing there watching. That's coaching (or lack thereof).

I'm believe this is true with almost every team from HS on up. I honestly don't understand offensive philosophy anymore.

I believe this is more lack of talent. Rivers & Benny and sometimes Pitchford give up the ball too quick and do not look. Benny dribbles around the arc without forcing the defense to guard him. Smith on the other had will drive and dish.

I agree with you about Nebraska. But, Basketball in general is going to more of a theory of ad-lib/create on your own type philosophy. Yes, they throw out there things like certain players are supposed to screen for other players. But, there is just not a flow and an organization to basketball offenses nowadays.

What that does is if you have a lack in talent where a player isn't good at creating offense on his own, it hamstrings him to not be effective on the floor.

Great explanation in a few words. Move your damn feet!!!

I was always taught two philosophies in basketball offense.

Against Zone = You beat it by ball movement. You swing the ball as fast as you can back and forth around the arch and eventually, the defense either gets tired or lazy and you get an easy lay up or maybe 5' jumper.

Against Man = You beat it with man movement. You run plays where your players are moving methodically but quickly, if you don't have a shot, you reverse it to the other side and run it again. The faster the "man" movement, the bigger the chance that you catch a player tired or lazy and you get an easy shot or layup.

I don't see any teams using these fundamentals that a HS hall of fame coach (that taught me) won one hell of games with.

I just don't understand what teams are trying to do. I'm sure they are trying to do something. I just don't know what it is because it makes no sense to me.

I firmly believe that the old style of basketball can still win. For instance, we have a decent BB team here in HS. But, their games have scores of like 50-45 or 53-51. I remember games where our teams scored in the 80s. I believe it's because we actually had an offense had a purpose and some organization to it and everyone knew their roll and it created shots and that scored points.

We don't run an offense. Our "offense" is one guy dribbling, one guy coming to set a ball screen and the other three guys standing there watching. That's coaching (or lack thereof).

I'm believe this is true with almost every team from HS on up. I honestly don't understand offensive philosophy anymore.

I believe this is more lack of talent. Rivers & Benny and sometimes Pitchford give up the ball too quick and do not look. Benny dribbles around the arc without forcing the defense to guard him. Smith on the other had will drive and dish.

I agree with you about Nebraska. But, Basketball in general is going to more of a theory of ad-lib/create on your own type philosophy. Yes, they throw out there things like certain players are supposed to screen for other players. But, there is just not a flow and an organization to basketball offenses nowadays.

What that does is if you have a lack in talent where a player isn't good at creating offense on his own, it hamstrings him to not be effective on the floor.

Against Zone = You beat it by ball movement. You swing the ball as fast as you can back and forth around the arch and eventually, the defense either gets tired or lazy and you get an easy lay up or maybe 5' jumper.

Against Man = You beat it with man movement. You run plays where your players are moving methodically but quickly, if you don't have a shot, you reverse it to the other side and run it again. The faster the "man" movement, the bigger the chance that you catch a player tired or lazy and you get an easy shot or layup.

I don't see any teams using these fundamentals that a HS hall of fame coach (that taught me) won one hell of games with.

I just don't understand what teams are trying to do. I'm sure they are trying to do something. I just don't know what it is because it makes no sense to me.

I firmly believe that the old style of basketball can still win. For instance, we have a decent BB team here in HS. But, their games have scores of like 50-45 or 53-51. I remember games where our teams scored in the 80s. I believe it's because we actually had an offense had a purpose and some organization to it and everyone knew their roll and it created shots and that scored points.

It comes down to knocking down shots, and Nebraska just hasn't been doing that this year. Nebraska will continue to see a lot of full court pressure because of our lack of quality PG play, and we'll continue to see a lot of zone because we can't (or haven't) knock down the outside shot. Zone defense tends to congest the lane/high post; ball movement is definitely key, but it doesn't matter if the guys aren't knocking down the outside shot. We start hitting open 3's, and executing quality drive-n-kicks, teams will quickly go away from zone. Our offense has been consistently stagnant, but I still feel it operates best against man defense.

It comes down to knocking down shots, and Nebraska just hasn't been doing that this year. Nebraska will continue to see a lot of full court pressure because of our lack of quality PG play, and we'll continue to see a lot of zone because we can't (or haven't) knock down the outside shot. Zone defense tends to congest the lane/high post; ball movement is definitely key, but it doesn't matter if the guys aren't knocking down the outside shot. We start hitting open 3's, and executing quality drive-n-kicks, teams will quickly go away from zone. Our offense has been consistently stagnant, but I still feel it operates best against man defense.

That's the thing though. It doesn't have to be a 3. An open 10 footer on the back side of a lazy or worn out zone defense does the same thing. How do you do that? Quick ball movement and someone sliding into an open spot on the floor. You can beat people with 10 foot shots. It doesn't have to be bombs from never never land.

That's the thing though. It doesn't have to be a 3. An open 10 footer on the back side of a lazy or worn out zone defense does the same thing. How do you do that? Quick ball movement and someone sliding into an open spot on the floor. You can beat people with 10 foot shots. It doesn't have to be bombs from never never land.

Difference of opinions I guess. I don't consider a 21 foot jumper a shot from never never land, but a defense can MAKE you shoot the 3, and if you can't hit that shot on a somewhat consistent basis you are not winning games. Every real good team, every one of them, can consistently hit that shot. It is literally a must to win enough games to get into the tournament, and win championships. Hitting that shot keeps the defense honest, which in turn, opens up the middle of the floor.

---- Should point out that I'm not exclusively talking about Nebraska's team, just basketball in general at this point.