4-3 or 3-4 base defense?

Banker ran a 4-3 at OSU, not a 3-4.

Hughes ran a 4-2-5.

Speculation began to run rampant when the Davis twins were talking about playing in a 3-4 in 2015 but NU's base D is most likely to remain a 4-3.

Both Banker and Hughes systems seem to be dictated upon speed, aggression, and stopping the run...all things I am looking forward to.

It would seem that being multiple is what Bo had recruited to the last couple classes. The new coaching staff may have to be multiple just given the roster they'll have. Guys like sedrick king and Jones in this class seem to fit the mold of 3-4 OLB who can put their hand down and rush from a defensive end spot if they wanted to. Collins can play inside in a four man front but is athletic enough to play end in a 3-4 with Valentine playing a nose tackle. McMullen and Newell could both be ends in a 3-4 with their size.

• Fire 1

Unless you have 3 linebackers who are clearly better (not necessarily faster/more athletic) anytime youre against a 3wide set youre gonna get into nickel. How many times and how many teams do we face that dont utilize at least 3 receivers on a very regular basis. This is just the nature of the game anymore i think. Speed. Hot nasty speed. And defensively you have to keep up with it. Either mentally or athletically.

• Fire 1

We really never ran a 4-3 here under Bo did we? When I picture his defensive set up, I very rarely saw three LBs on the field at once.

Against 21 personnel (2 backs, 1 TE) we ran a lot of 4-3. It's just that Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State are about the only teams that run a lot of that package anymore. Against 3 WR sets, we ran a lot of Nickel, as almost everyone does.

We really never ran a 4-3 here under Bo did we? When I picture his defensive set up, I very rarely saw three LBs on the field at once.

Against 21 personnel (2 backs, 1 TE) we ran a lot of 4-3. It's just that Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State are about the only teams that run a lot of that package anymore. Against 3 WR sets, we ran a lot of Nickel, as almost everyone does.

Minny too.
  • Fire 1