Should Joe Paterno's vacated wins be reinstated?

NUance

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was a criminal matter, no rules were broken.

At the time the Penn State compliance department consisted of Joe Paterno. There was zero oversight of the football program. It was the very definition of lack of institutional control.

People haven't become more rational, they've had years of PSU propaganda shoved up their rear ends until they've forgotten what actually happened.

The original solution was simple...revoke PSU's membership in the NCAA....but that would cost money and the powers that be are going to ride the gravy train straight into the ground.

I know its not popular opinion but Paterno probably wasnt as guilty as he was made out to be. They made it sound like he knew about it and condoned it. I doubt he knew about it. And when it was brought to light he probably didnt want to believe it. Sandusky was a guy he had known personally for a really long time, Im sure he was in denial.

But none of that matters. He failed to react accordingly and thats what cost him his wins, his job, and ultimately his life. I truly believe coaching is what kept him going. But I also believe vacating a bunch of wins does much to help the victims at this point. The only thing that could do that is news of that monster Sandusky getting the proper prison treatment via large inmates.

the assistant coach that witnessed the act told Paterno what he saw, Paterno did nothing. He put the football program above the safety of children.
  • Fire 1

yeah I don't want to sound like I disagree that one is worse than the other, but one is more of a legal thing and the other is ncaa infractions

Exactly. I hate that people are throwing Ohio State and USC out there saying they deserve their wins back when they blatantly broke the NCAA's rules. What occurred at Penn State was heinous, but a legal matter.
  • Fire 1

So Penn State gets its wins restored but Ohio State & USC don't??? So lying about free tattoos & getting paid to play is a big NO-NO but Penn State's DCoordinator having sex with children is forgivable? What a #^&*ing joke

In all fairness, Sandusky hadn't been their DC in quite a while.

I know its not popular opinion but Paterno probably wasnt as guilty as he was made out to be. They made it sound like he knew about it and condoned it. I doubt he knew about it. And when it was brought to light he probably didnt want to believe it. Sandusky was a guy he had known personally for a really long time, Im sure he was in denial.

But none of that matters. He failed to react accordingly and thats what cost him his wins, his job, and ultimately his life. I truly believe coaching is what kept him going. But I also believe vacating a bunch of wins does much to help the victims at this point. The only thing that could do that is news of that monster Sandusky getting the proper prison treatment via large inmates.

the assistant coach that witnessed the act told Paterno what he saw, Paterno did nothing. He put the football program above the safety of children.

Wrong.

Paterno did exactly what was required of him and no more. He notified his superiors. And, that assistant coach that you say witnessed the act? He didn't witness any sexual acts. He heard noises coming from the shower and then saw Sandusky and a kid in the showers. And then waited to say ANYTHING until after he talked to his dad. This is the guy that needs to be crucified, he had the opportunity to call the police when they still could have gathered evidence of rape at a hospital....but initially chose to remain silent.

This thread is full of misinformation but I don't have the time to refute all of it.

The thing is, I'm on board for doing away with the scholarship reduction and post season ban. Those sanctions only hurt the student athletes (and fans). They are not culpable. But the 111 vacated wins is a bit more personal towards Paterno and his staff. So I'm in favor of Paterno's penalty remaining in force. It's too bad there isn't a way to penalize Paterno without also penalizing Penn State. Oh well. It is what it is.

The current athletes and staff should definitely not have to suffer for the wrongful acts of others.

Id say Paterno did pay for it. Coaching was his life. Take that away and he had nothing, plus a hugely tarnished legacy. I think thats what killed him.

Actually, all we have to do is look to his medical records to see what killed him. Complications from lung cancer treatment.