Climate Change - 2014

Late to the party here but as far as scientists theories... Well that's true because no one really knows. Although some of the theories are alarming, there are many more that are way out there. As far as God, well I believe God will let us live the way we choose and at some point as in the past per the bible and Noah God may say that our lifestyles aren't worth being left to exist and start over.

I believe god told us to be stewards of the earth.

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on
good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is
it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with
your feet?

But I've never met a christian who actually follows god's teachings, so whatever.

Great Bible quote JR :thumbs JR, many of us (I would say most) Christians try to follow God's teachings - no one is 100% on mark & sometimes we fail miserably (just like non-Christians who know what is right but fail as well) - Sin = missing the mark. But growing into Christ likeness is a life long process. Sometimes however other thought patterns get in the way - political, cultural views can crowd out God's teachings when we allow them to get out of balance. I for one have to watch this. Too much political news reading, watching or listening, will crowd out the 'good news' which is really the most important. I like this

verse as a guide:

Micah 6:8New King James Version (NKJV)

8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;

And what does the Lord require of you

But to do justly,

To love mercy,

And to walk humbly with your God?

So when we think of showing justice and mercy, we need to think of how our actions or non-actions affect our fellow man. This also includes being a good steward of the planet - as the verse you shared alludes to. With humility being the guiding attitude of the heart.

This commentator explains it this way:

Verse 8 follows with God’s answer, rooted in the Law of Moses: “He has told you, O man, what is good.” In other words, Israel should already have known the answer to their questions. God then says that He did not need or desire their religious rites, sacrifices, or oblations. Instead, the Lord sought Israel’s justice, mercy, and humility.

The answer to Israel’s sin problem was not more numerous or more painful sacrifices. The answer was something much deeper than any religious observance: they needed a change of heart. Without the heart, Israel’s conformity to the Law was nothing more than hypocrisy. Other prophets tried to communicate a similar message (Isaiah 1:14; Hosea 6:6; Amos 5:21). Unfortunately, God’s people were slow to heed the message (Matthew 12:7).

“Act justly” would have been understood by Micah’s audience as living with a sense of right and wrong. In particular, the judicial courts had a responsibility to provide equity and protect the innocent. Injustice was a problem in Israel at that time (Micah 2:1-2; 3:1-3; 6:11).

“Love mercy” contains the Hebrew word hesed, which means “loyal love” or “loving-kindness.” Along with justice, Israel was to provide mercy. Both justice and mercy are foundational to God’s character (Psalm 89:14). God expected His people to show love to their fellow man and to be loyal in their love toward Him, just as He had been loyal to them (Micah 2:8-9; 3:10-11; 6:12).

“Walk humbly” is a description of the heart’s attitude toward God. God’s people depend on Him rather than their own abilities (Micah 2:3). Instead of taking pride in what we bring to God, we humbly recognize that no amount of personal sacrifice can replace a heart committed to justice and love. Israel’s rhetorical questions had a three-part progression, and verse 8 contains a similar progression. The response of a godly heart is outward (do justice), inward (love mercy), and upward (walk humbly).

The message of Micah is still pertinent today. Religious rites, no matter how extravagant, can never compensate for a lack of love (1 Corinthians 13:3). External compliance to rules is not as valuable in God’s eyes as a humble heart that simply does what is right. God’s people today will continue to desire justice, mercy, and humility before the Lord.

Well said!

Late to the party here but as far as scientists theories... Well that's true because no one really knows. Although some of the theories are alarming, there are many more that are way out there. As far as God, well I believe God will let us live the way we choose and at some point as in the past per the bible and Noah God may say that our lifestyles aren't worth being left to exist and start over.

your feet?

But I've never met a christian who actually follows god's teachings, so whatever.

Great Bible quote JR :thumbs JR, many of us (I would say most) Christians try to follow God's teachings - no one is 100% on mark & sometimes we fail miserably (just like non-Christians who know what is right but fail as well) - Sin = missing the mark. But growing into Christ likeness is a life long process. Sometimes however other thought patterns get in the way - political, cultural views can crowd out God's teachings when we allow them to get out of balance. I for one have to watch this. Too much political news reading, watching or listening, will crowd out the 'good news' which is really the most important. I like this

verse as a guide:

Micah 6:8New King James Version (NKJV)

8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;

And what does the Lord require of you

But to do justly,

To love mercy,

And to walk humbly with your God?

So when we think of showing justice and mercy, we need to think of how our actions or non-actions affect our fellow man. This also includes being a good steward of the planet - as the verse you shared alludes to. With humility being the guiding attitude of the heart.

This commentator explains it this way:

Verse 8 follows with God’s answer, rooted in the Law of Moses: “He has told you, O man, what is good.” In other words, Israel should already have known the answer to their questions. God then says that He did not need or desire their religious rites, sacrifices, or oblations. Instead, the Lord sought Israel’s justice, mercy, and humility.

The answer to Israel’s sin problem was not more numerous or more painful sacrifices. The answer was something much deeper than any religious observance: they needed a change of heart. Without the heart, Israel’s conformity to the Law was nothing more than hypocrisy. Other prophets tried to communicate a similar message (Isaiah 1:14; Hosea 6:6; Amos 5:21). Unfortunately, God’s people were slow to heed the message (Matthew 12:7).

“Act justly” would have been understood by Micah’s audience as living with a sense of right and wrong. In particular, the judicial courts had a responsibility to provide equity and protect the innocent. Injustice was a problem in Israel at that time (Micah 2:1-2; 3:1-3; 6:11).

“Love mercy” contains the Hebrew word hesed, which means “loyal love” or “loving-kindness.” Along with justice, Israel was to provide mercy. Both justice and mercy are foundational to God’s character (Psalm 89:14). God expected His people to show love to their fellow man and to be loyal in their love toward Him, just as He had been loyal to them (Micah 2:8-9; 3:10-11; 6:12).

“Walk humbly” is a description of the heart’s attitude toward God. God’s people depend on Him rather than their own abilities (Micah 2:3). Instead of taking pride in what we bring to God, we humbly recognize that no amount of personal sacrifice can replace a heart committed to justice and love. Israel’s rhetorical questions had a three-part progression, and verse 8 contains a similar progression. The response of a godly heart is outward (do justice), inward (love mercy), and upward (walk humbly).

The message of Micah is still pertinent today. Religious rites, no matter how extravagant, can never compensate for a lack of love (1 Corinthians 13:3). External compliance to rules is not as valuable in God’s eyes as a humble heart that simply does what is right. God’s people today will continue to desire justice, mercy, and humility before the Lord.

Well said!

I think a corresponding verse is Isaiah 58 - the true fast. Many of us conservatives became weary of the term 'social justice' when the term 'justice' was hijacked by communist sympathizers in central American in the 1980s. Social justice became a Robin Hood like means for far left govts to take from some to give to others - also mixed in was the liberal branch of the Catholic church in the region who saw the govt as a means to this end. This isn't meant to speak against liberals, who (true liberals) I believe most have good hearts & good intentions like true conservatives do who come from a different angle in addressing social issues. Nor is it meant to talk down the church in that region during that time - we've seen political parties in the USA capture both sides of the church - conservative & liberal to be used for their specific political agendas. The problem was that those far left govts then used 'social justice' to justify oppression of others.

So going back to social justice, which we can expand to the environment as we are 'our brother's keeper' both now and future generations, we all have a responsibility - regardless of what political bent we have.

Isaiah puts it this way. In chapter 58 he chastises the religious folks who were 'bragging' that they fast and pray (of course for all to see) then wonder why their prayers weren't answered :dunno. But Isaiah says the fast that God honors is a bit different - you can see the true social justice throughout this - it centers around what we as individuals can do. While we may do things as a group, (church, govt, civic group, Husker club, etc), the heart of the matter lies with us as individuals first. I also see that our own 'healing' (healing can mean a lot of things to different people) comes as we give out. I have found this to be true in my life, the more I give of myself to others, the more I receive back in so many unexpected ways - The verse "It is more blessed to give than to receive" becomes true. There are many good organizations doing the Isaiah 58 thing - helping others. One that my wife and I are involved with is Compassion International - helping children world wide. We also find ways to do the same locally - every community has a shelter, rehap center, hospitals, nursing homes where we can contribute. And getting back to the topic, every community has opportunities for us to do our part environmentally - from recycling to car pooling, etc

Is 58

vs 6 “Is not this the fast that I choose:

to loose the bonds of wickedness,

to undo the straps of the yoke,

to let the oppressed[b] go free,

and to break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry

and bring the homeless poor into your house;

when you see the naked, to cover him,

and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

8 Then shall your light break forth like the dawn,

and your healing shall spring up speedily;

your righteousness shall go before you;

the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. (Ron commentary: many claim 'God's on our side' but I think it is a matter of us getting on 'God's side' by serving others. Then God will be our 'rear guard')

9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;

you shall cry, and he will say, ‘Here I am.’

If you take away the yoke from your midst,

the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, (My 'oh me, oh my' verse - stop bad talking others - esp those we disagree with - I'm trying to be less critical of Obama!)

10 if you pour yourself out for the hungry

and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,

then shall your light rise in the darkness

and your gloom be as the noonday. (Ron's commentary here: got problems with depression, trying giving to & serving others and see how that lifts your spirit. - don't get off meds if needed however!!)

11 And the Lord will guide you continually

and satisfy your desire in scorched places

and make your bones strong;

and you shall be like a watered garden,

like a spring of water,

whose waters do not fail.

12 And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;

you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;

you shall be called the repairer of the breach,

the restorer of streets to dwell in. (Ron Commentary: my life mission verse - vs 12. "Restoring people and organizations to and for God's glory". I don't always live up to this mission but its a goal)

13 “If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, (Ron commentary: even serving can become a self serving thing. Serving for me starts by honoring God 1st and doing it as on to Him. )

from doing your pleasure[c] on my holy day,

and call the Sabbath a delight

and the holy day of the Lord honorable;

if you honor it, not going your own ways,

or seeking your own pleasure,[d] or talking idly;[e]

14 then you shall take delight in the Lord,

and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;[f]

I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father,

for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

your feet?

While this is all true. I don't believe God is going to come and say hey you need to take care of things or else. People will do what they do and when the end comes it comes.

I have met some, but most people are in it socially and not religiously. And especially love the ones who have to go out of their way to show everyone how much they donate and then rub it in others face. Pretty sad, but they are the problem.

I remember when we had 90 and 100 degree weather in the summer. 2014 had a couple days in the 90ies and nothing close to 100.Its -3 here now and won't get over 15 all week. I could use a little global warming.T_O_B

Huh. Where do you live? In Nebraska? Because the part of Nebraska that we live in was a balmy 3° above zero at 8 this morning!

I am having to really really really work hard at being in a pleasant mood around people today because I am sick and tired of being cold.

Same here. I usually love the cold, but when it started getting brisk last night I felt like I wasn't use to it and it put me in a foul mood as well.

If anyone cares it is suppose to be 60 today in Idaho. chuckleshuffle

But it's still Idaho...

Idaho is actually a lot like Nebraska culturally, very much an agriculturally based economy. I lived the first 45 years of my life in the Midwest, but I don't mind Idaho at all. Now, Oregon would be another story.

A coalition of fossil fuels companies have been directly funding one of the most outspoken critics of Greenhouse gases/Global warming. The scientist (Dr. Soon) failed to disclose the possible conflict of interest in his publications. Color me surprised ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us/ties-to-corporate-cash-for-climate-change-researcher-Wei-Hock-Soon.html

http://www.utilitydive.com/news/report-southern-co-paid-for-climate-skeptics-research/367430/

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe with this cold, snowy winter it is global cooling to be concerned about. In Tulsa at the beginning of March we look in the sky wondering about tornadoes not sleet/freezing rain/snow as we've had this week.

Maybe Walter Cronkite was right

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/julia-seymour/2015/03/05/and-thats-way-it-was-1972-cronkite-warned-new-ice-age

This weekend well be in the 70s so we'll be back to Global Warming

Maybe we should just stick wt 'climate change' as that is what we are having this week!!

(Ps: yes I know climate change is a long term atmospheric condition not the daily weekly weather)

And the Christian Zealot right strikes again: Florida Governor bans use of the term 'Climate Change'. Really? Can't face the truth, so you're going to ban anyone from mentioning it to you?

Just like the Net Neutrality thing...these vermin won't even try hiding that they're bought and paid for whores (in this instance, by petrochemical companies), and are resulting into oppressing freedom of speech so they don't have to hear the truth from their own people. SMDH

• 1 month later...

Guys, I wanted to get your take on this article based on a Duke Univ research project. it seems like a mixed bag to me.

I think it is telling us - big picture the earth is warming, however current picture not as fast as the computer models suggest - those models may be incorrect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3052926/Our-climate-models-WRONG-Global-warming-slowed-recent-changes-natural-variability-says-study.html

The first paragraph and a couple more are below and give somewhat of a summary and a presentation of the mixed bag.

Global warming hasn't happened as fast as expected, according to a new study based on 1,000 years of temperature records.

The research claims that natural variability in surface temperatures over the course of a decade can account for increases and dips in warming rates.

But it adds that these so-called 'climate wiggles' could also, in the future, cause our planet to warm up much faster than anticipated.

The team examined whether climate models, such as those used by the IPCC, accurately account for natural chaotic variability that can occur in the rate of global warming.

To test these, created a new statistical model based on reconstructed empirical records of surface temperatures over the last 1,000 years.

'By comparing our model against theirs, we found that climate models largely get the 'big picture' right but seem to underestimate the magnitude of natural decade-to-decade climate wiggles,' Brown said.

'Our model shows these wiggles can be big enough that they could have accounted for a reasonable portion of the accelerated warming we experienced from 1975 to 2000, as well as the reduced rate in warming that occurred from 2002 to 2013.'