Climate Change - 2014

Well. This is a thing that happened.

So now it's 2015, and the Senate is debating a bunch of amendments on a bill that would fast-track approval of the Keystone XL pipeline. On Wednesday, they were faced with one from Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) that said:

"To express the sense of the Senate that climate change is real and not a hoax."

That one was pretty easy. The Senate voted 98 to 1 in favor of this amendment. So far, so good.

But then came a tougher question. Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) put forward an amendment that said:

"To express the sense of the Senate that climate change is real; and human activity significantly contributes to climate change."

So the senators thought about it.

And thought about it.

This was a tricky one.

They thought some more.

In the end, just 50 senators voted "yes" on the question.* But 49 senators voted "no." The amendment failed to pick up the 60 votes necessary to overcome a filibuster.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/21/7868677/senate-climate-vote

What a total waste of time.

2 articles below seem to be contradictory at 1st glance. One proclaims 'the end of snow' while the other notes the record amount of snow in 2014.

The contradiction is explained below in a quote. I wonder, with the increased snow (due to more moisture in the air caused by global warming as noted below), if it is possible for global warming to in the end increase the ice pack over time - now that would be a crazy contradiction of sorts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-snow.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/12/04/fall-snow-cover-in-northern-hemisphere-was-most-extensive-on-record-even-with-temperatures-at-high-mark/

Contradiction explained in 2nd article:

However, the amount of snow does not necessarily correlate with temperature. It simply needs to be near or below freezing for snow to fall. Temperatures that average 1-2 degrees F above normal over the globe can still support snow in many places. Furthermore, slightly warmer than normal temperatures increase atmospheric moisture content, elevating potential snow amounts where they occur.

A recent modeling study showed high latitude extreme snows could increase 10 percent by the end of the century under global warming scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...

solar freakin' roadways dude

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

Neat link. Neat idea - wouldn't it be amazing to make a solar panel road. Very neat concept. That kind of road would solve a lot of problems - watch the TED presentation on the link.

Granted, it would also generate a few new problems, but it would solve a lot more than it creates.

solar freakin' roadways dude

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

Neat link. Neat idea - wouldn't it be amazing to make a solar panel road. Very neat concept. That kind of road would solve a lot of problems - watch the TED presentation on the link.

Granted, it would also generate a few new problems, but it would solve a lot more than it creates.

Unfortunately, like I've said before, it's probably not feasible anytime in the near future and it's really only viable within certain latitudes.

Late to the party here but as far as scientists theories... Well that's true because no one really knows. Although some of the theories are alarming, there are many more that are way out there. As far as God, well I believe God will let us live the way we choose and at some point as in the past per the bible and Noah God may say that our lifestyles aren't worth being left to exist and start over.

Late to the party here but as far as scientists theories... Well that's true because no one really knows. Although some of the theories are alarming, there are many more that are way out there. As far as God, well I believe God will let us live the way we choose and at some point as in the past per the bible and Noah God may say that our lifestyles aren't worth being left to exist and start over.

And this is Exhibit A as to why we can't have nice things anymore in the USA.

• Fire 2

I believe god told us to be stewards of the earth.

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on
good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is
it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with
your feet?

But I've never met a christian who actually follows god's teachings, so whatever.

• Fire 2

I believe god told us to be stewards of the earth.

Ezekiel 34:17-18. As for you, my flock... Is it not enough for you to feed on
good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is
it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with
your feet?

But I've never met a christian who actually follows god's teachings, so whatever.

Great Bible quote JR :thumbs JR, many of us (I would say most) Christians try to follow God's teachings - no one is 100% on mark & sometimes we fail miserably (just like non-Christians who know what is right but fail as well) - Sin = missing the mark. But growing into Christ likeness is a life long process. Sometimes however other thought patterns get in the way - political, cultural views can crowd out God's teachings when we allow them to get out of balance. I for one have to watch this. Too much political news reading, watching or listening, will crowd out the 'good news' which is really the most important. I like this

verse as a guide:

Micah 6:8New King James Version (NKJV)

8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;

And what does the Lord require of you

But to do justly,

To love mercy,

And to walk humbly with your God?

So when we think of showing justice and mercy, we need to think of how our actions or non-actions affect our fellow man. This also includes being a good steward of the planet - as the verse you shared alludes to. With humility being the guiding attitude of the heart.

This commentator explains it this way:

Verse 8 follows with God’s answer, rooted in the Law of Moses: “He has told you, O man, what is good.” In other words, Israel should already have known the answer to their questions. God then says that He did not need or desire their religious rites, sacrifices, or oblations. Instead, the Lord sought Israel’s justice, mercy, and humility.

The answer to Israel’s sin problem was not more numerous or more painful sacrifices. The answer was something much deeper than any religious observance: they needed a change of heart. Without the heart, Israel’s conformity to the Law was nothing more than hypocrisy. Other prophets tried to communicate a similar message (Isaiah 1:14; Hosea 6:6; Amos 5:21). Unfortunately, God’s people were slow to heed the message (Matthew 12:7).

“Act justly” would have been understood by Micah’s audience as living with a sense of right and wrong. In particular, the judicial courts had a responsibility to provide equity and protect the innocent. Injustice was a problem in Israel at that time (Micah 2:1-2; 3:1-3; 6:11).

“Love mercy” contains the Hebrew word hesed, which means “loyal love” or “loving-kindness.” Along with justice, Israel was to provide mercy. Both justice and mercy are foundational to God’s character (Psalm 89:14). God expected His people to show love to their fellow man and to be loyal in their love toward Him, just as He had been loyal to them (Micah 2:8-9; 3:10-11; 6:12).

“Walk humbly” is a description of the heart’s attitude toward God. God’s people depend on Him rather than their own abilities (Micah 2:3). Instead of taking pride in what we bring to God, we humbly recognize that no amount of personal sacrifice can replace a heart committed to justice and love. Israel’s rhetorical questions had a three-part progression, and verse 8 contains a similar progression. The response of a godly heart is outward (do justice), inward (love mercy), and upward (walk humbly).

The message of Micah is still pertinent today. Religious rites, no matter how extravagant, can never compensate for a lack of love (1 Corinthians 13:3). External compliance to rules is not as valuable in God’s eyes as a humble heart that simply does what is right. God’s people today will continue to desire justice, mercy, and humility before the Lord.

• Fire 3