Penn State

BigRedBuster

Okay, so I don't understand...right when Jo Pa was outed as Jerry Sandusky's child-rape wing man, it was the worst thing that ever happened and his (and the school's) football victories were vacated. But, now a few years later it's all forgiven?

Am I now to understand that the NCAA thought it was too harsh? I guess a change it the record books to indicate some dead former coach isn't the number one in all time victories was WAAAAAAAY worse than said coach covering for his bro banging little boys in the shower?

And I am so sick of the line "you shouldn't punish the kids (both then and now) for what the coaches and administrators did". Well if you don't punish them, how in the hell do you send the message that this behavior....covering for child rape....is unacceptable (to say the VERY least). So let's say, in the future sometime, Urban Meyer finds out that one of his assistants is banging little kids in tOSU locker room, what would be his incentive to report it? (Oh, never mind....he would just wait until he left tOSU for another coaching job and report it later when he was recruiting against them).

Anyway, needless to say, this was the most f***ed up thing the NCAA could have done. They are spineless and have now become complicit in the cover-up and apologists of child rape. When is the NCAA going to do something...anything....to justify their existence? No, seriously.....ANYTHING.

The only consolation is that, regardless of what the NCAA does....or how much the nitty kitty fans worship Jo Pa....there is nothing that will change the perception around the country that PSU is the place where multiple instances of child rape were tolerated.

(actual photo from Jo Pa coaching video...WOW)

jerry-sandusky-linebacking-video-e132141

• Fire 2

So in the end, we all see what Penn State and the NCAA deem important and whom they support. To believe that I could somehow see Penn State as even more of deplorable and awful place. The NCAA, Penn State University, and the JoePa supporters should be ashamed.

• Fire 1

Boy I can remember seeing a sport show on Joe Pa (10 years ago or so )and remember him giving a shot to TO about Lawrence Phillips. Both crime are bad but if I rate them raping of young kids by a grown up is up there with murder. I think it was a ABC sport show maybe someone remembers it.I wonder when child molesters get support if the ones doing the supporting are also molesters.

• 2 years later...

So, as the entire subject matter of the Penn State scandal personally sickens and disgusts me to the point of nausea, I have not tried to keep up with the post revelation consequences, but it appears that only Sandusky and these 'administrators' are actually doing jail time for the many crimes that were perpetrated over decades to apparently many victims (children no less).

What I recall is that these horrible crimes happened in and around the athletic department facilities and on team trips, hotels, etc. This predator took his victims along with the team on away game trips in plain view of all around them, includng undoubtedly other coaches, players, staff, etc. This went on for years and years. It is beyond belief that most or all did not know what was happening in these circumstances. You can't tell me that a coaching staff and the 'community' atmosphere of a college football program such as Penn States situated in the small rural type setting of "Happy Valley" would have this flagrant abuse going on without the knowledge and tolerance of many people. I would have to say that this case is likely the very worst in college football history and ranks right up there with all the sad stories from within the Catholic Church, etc.

Penn State University should have suffered at a minimum the 'death penalty' in football (as long as the time frame Sandusky was on the prowl and allowed to prey on kids) and I really think it should have ended all NCAA sports at PSU as obviously this was a Athletics Department and even up to the University President level of cover up and responsibility. The many victims should be compensated financially to the point it would consume the bulk of the University's endowment funds as far as I am concerned. This was a Penn State University (not just Sandusky) crime spree of the worst kind.

Yet, after a 'slap on the wrist' penalty which was partially vacated, a few short years later, they win the Big Ten championship in football! This is the sort of outcome that casts a giant shadow of shame across all of major sports. The perception is that the powerful and the few are beyond the reach of the law and only ordinary folks get punished for much less serious crimes. Perception is reality in this case certainly.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is bulls#!t.

Lisa Powers, a university spokeswoman, said Tuesday that Spanier remains a tenured faculty member on paid administrative leave.

Spanier was convicted for how he and two of his top aides decided to respond to a report from graduate assistant coach Mike McQueary that he had seen Sandusky abusing the boy late on a Friday night in a team shower.

Spanier has said the abuse of the boy, who has never been conclusively identified, was characterized to him as horseplay.

Spanier and two of his top lieutenants, former athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz, agreed to notify The Second Mile, the charity for at-risk youth where Sandusky met many of his victims, but not to call police.

Spanier gave his approval to his deputies in an email, warning that "the only downside for us is if the message isn't 'heard' and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it.''

• Plus1 1